So what is going to be the solution to the 'Gear Deficit'?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Currently that is a serious lack of gearing options for the 2015 Mustang's Super-8.8 differential. FPRP (Ford Performance Racing Parts) as of today only offers the following ratios; 3.15:1, 3.31:1, 3.55:1, and 3.73:1. You'll notice some perennial favorites (namely 4.10:1 and 4.30:1) are missing. This is due to the changes made to the physical parameters of the gear from the standard 88 to the Super-8.8. FPRP is only offering the aforementioned ratios because that is what Ford Corporate is currently producing for production vehicles.

So what are those looking for more ratio options to do? Well there's currently only one real option, replace the differential. Both Watson Engineering and DSS produce Ford 9-Inch based rear drivetrain upgrades. By moving to the 9-Inch those companies have opened the S550 enthusiast's world up to likely the largest amount of available rear-end parts on the market. The Ford 9-Inch has been used in so many forms of motorsports over such a long period of time that there are literally 1000's of awesome combinations you could put together based on it. I'm waiting for someone to make a stout cast aluminum drop-in 9-Inch center section that is strong, light-weight, and affordable.

Word is Ford is going to expand the use of the Super-8.8 to the F-150. This is part of a plan to cut weight from certain models by using it in lieu of equipping it with the larger and heavier 9.75 rear end. This could open the door to more aftermarket support for additional gearsets that could be used with the S550 Mustangs. Until then, if you want more gearing options Watson and DSS have the solution available right now.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
To me a 3.90 will be more missed than 4.30. I don't really see the need for a 4.30 with the power cars make from the factory these days.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
having not kept a close eye on the 2015s I didnt realize that, itneresting issue to have

Im guessing as far as the F150 it would be standard and tow packages would upgrade to the heavier rear end...probably jack the price up even more

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
Power nation did a build up of a yellow s550 with frpp tvs and suspension. Towards the end of the segment they mentioned the gearing and the fact that frpp would be coming out with 410s in the next 6 months or so

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Power nation did a build up of a yellow s550 with frpp tvs and suspension. Towards the end of the segment they mentioned the gearing and the fact that frpp would be coming out with 410s in the next 6 months or so

That's not what I've been hearing as recently as the Bradenton race. If 4.10s show up in an F-150 application (Raptor?) I'm sure they'll add them to the catalog.

The F-150 also uses an 8.8 front differential in the 4x4 models. It's possible that Ford could make switch that to the Super-8.8 as well.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Idk how factual it was but I believe they had a rep from ford racing there. I'll re watch it tonight to verify

I'm sure it was true at the time. However, according to my conversion things changed. It could have changed again by now though. I'll work on getting an update.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That was quick. FPRP confirmed that they have no plans to add new ratios to the catalog until they are produced for another vehicle program.

ridenfish39

Established Member
I don't understand the need for deeper gears. I think the 3.73s in my pp car are too much. I would love to switch them out for 3.55s.

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
Ill use my IDS on mine to see what options are there.. but it may be like the GT500 .. option is there but may not stick..

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
Sorry.. Hadn't had the chance.. Been busy with work.. And it's been raining here off and on.. so.. I have major OCD.. I won't drive my mustangs in the rain.. Ha ha.. I'll try and take a look here in the next day or so

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
I didn't see anything that looks like you can change this with IDS.. I saw a few interesting things.. but nothing pertaining to the gears
IMG2473-1_zpspgtjgg6i.jpg
IMG_2472_zpsah45tpid.jpg

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Changing the adaptive learning parameters could def help some racers. No more having to make several runs before the car gets really fast.

Snakenhorse

new svt poster
Established Member
"So what is going to be the solution to the 'Gear Deficit"

1) Nasty Converter
2) Weight reduction
3) More tuning time for the tuners.
4) Boost, boost and more boost.
5) Nitrous, nitrous and more nitrous.
10) Stroker kits for more C.I. and torque.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
With the way the MT-82 and 6R80 transmissions are geared, on top of how easily it is to make big steam nowadays, it's hard to see much need for a 4.10 or 4.30 anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread