So now i wonder...

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
...just how long it'll take for these things to start showing up in junkyards...???

I AM SOLD. I am so god damn horny for one ov these engines after seeing all those vids, after HEARING those vids, especially that Evolution one, that i wanna put one ov these things, and the 6-speed in my hotrod. Screw the 426 hemi... i want a 5.0L.

Some (very) quick math gets me thinking... If this thing hits near-mid 12's in stock form, 11's with sticky tires and a good driver. How fast would it go with some full race-tuned longtubes and exhaust (no cats), ram-air (???), more gear, more tire, and 700 less pounds...???

The mind reels... . . .

How long do i have to wait, and how much!?!?

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
I read on another forum where a new 'coyote' was being installed in a fox body platform. IIRC, the article said the engine will be available to purchase late 2010. How accurate that is, I'm not sure.

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
Oh i'm sure the connected and the filthy rich can already get their hands on them. I'm talking about used stuff. Thats as rich as i get. And hopefully, they'll be priced more like GT stuff than Cobra stuff, once the new model novelty wears off that is.

mgmustang1

Established Member
Im waiting for one to put in my 03 mach 1. Who needs a new car all i want is the motor!! sounds like you will have a low 11 fully reliable drag car. imagine 4.56's damn

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
Well, the theory adds up to tens, in daily driver form. MID-10's if we assume i really know how to tune and drive a car (i do okay). But thats getting WAY ahead ov myself.

The one actual disappointment with this powertrain is ironically the 6-speed. I dont know why (presumably to design a very close-ratio 5-speed with an OD...???) but they only have one OD gear in this one. 5th is 1:1. So the idea ov say, 4.56's or 4.88's with two OD gears to tame that gear is out the window. With this new 6-speed, i'm pretty much stuck with the same rear gear options as i would be in a 5-speed.

Building a road-race hotrod here... so final gear and tranny gears are crucial. But i suppose this new plant is so god damn smooooooooth that one could easily top out at 6000+ RPM for minutes on end should the need arise, and probably drive hundreds ov miles at 5000RPM without worry...

Thats the draw here. Try THAT in a big block Mopar or 426 Hemi...

Hell, you'd probably still get passable mileage in the coyote.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
When they start putting them in F-150s you'll see tons of them. Until then it should be in the FRPP catalog fairly soon.

jes_csx

Established Member
I'm still trying to find out how wide they are so I can figure out what its going to take to put one in my miata. I've seen a 4.6 dohc in a miata, but it needed a log manifold on one side... cant remember which, but choking it defeats the purpose. The new 5.0 has to be a little more narrow.

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
I'm still trying to find out how wide they are so I can figure out what its going to take to put one in my miata. I've seen a 4.6 dohc in a miata, but it needed a log manifold on one side... cant remember which, but choking it defeats the purpose. The new 5.0 has to be a little more narrow.

Yes, dimensions would be fun right now. In my opinion one ov the key disadvantages ov the mod was sheer size. This new one has added 30% more power with only 10% more displacement. I bet they didn't stop there, its probably lighter than the Teksid 4.6, it has lots ov plastic, and it wouldn't surprise me to be narrower too. Exotics brands make some nice DOHC V8's around the same power/cid with less physical size, so the technology is there...

You honestly think the truck 5.0L will be the exact same engine? I'm thinking there will be differences. Maybe just small stuff like manifolds, tune, etc. but enough to still want the car model. We can dream though...

Users who are viewing this thread