So Is The OEM Paper Filter Okay For E85?

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I can't seem to find a definitive answer if the OEM paper filter is sufficient for use with E85 on a 2003 Cobra. Also is there a aftermarket in line filter available for the stock lines? Like maybe using stock style fittings on a filter.

Last edited:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I have used paper on mine for almost 2 years.
They have worked well but I change twice a year to be safe.
For $15 each who cars.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
Cool, I just installed my new style GT pumps, dual FPDM harness and put a new filter in while I was doing the work. I wasn't thinking about it being compatible with e85 at the time. So I am good to go!

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
We prefer to use a metal element instead of paper. Especially if the cars going to sit for prolonged periods of time.

We've noticed on some cars they build up a black "gew". Not saying it's happened on every car, we've just seen it once or twice.

Last edited:

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
Im running E85 through the factory filter my self and my car is a DD, how often do you recommend i replace the filter?

JeremyH

Established Member
Paper is fine just may need to keep a closer eye on it. I went to ss filter element that you just clean and reuse. After a couple cleaning it pays for itself.

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
Sounds good I noticed auto zone sells a Duralast flex fuel 10 micron replacement filter would this work better with E85?

Tractionless1

Established Member
Twice a year or every oil change

That's fun in it's factory location!! Worth the price of admission of an aftermarket which can be positioned in an accessible area and cartridge changes only require spinning the body for extraction. I think I paid under $80 for mine from Lethal with the SS catridge included. Bought a spare cartridge at the time for peace of mind. IMO, if an owner is bitchin' about spending $80 on a part to save time and have peace of mind that it's what truly works, you shouldn't be modding.

elcobrita

Established Member
That's fun in it's factory location!! Worth the price of admission of an aftermarket which can be positioned in an accessible area and cartridge changes only require spinning the body for extraction. I think I paid under $80 for mine from Lethal with the SS catridge included. Bought a spare cartridge at the time for peace of mind. IMO, if an owner is bitchin' about spending $80 on a part to save time and have peace of mind that it's what truly works, you shouldn't be modding.

You don't understand. Some of us, our only options are paper filters because we have stock feed lines. I'm not about to spend over $800 to upgrade to a Fore level 2 just to get a nice filter if the paper ones will work fine.

JeremyH

Established Member
You don't understand. Some of us, our only options are paper filters because we have stock feed lines. I'm not about to spend over $800 to upgrade to a Fore level 2 just to get a nice filter if the paper ones will work fine.

$800? I do the full upgrade 8an lines and fitting from hat to rail with f10 fuel filter and ss filter element for $250. The upgrade dropped fuel pump duty cycle 26% percent on a e85 car at 700rwhp.

elcobrita

Established Member
$800? I do the full upgrade 8an lines and fitting from hat to rail with f10 fuel filter and ss filter element for $250. The upgrade dropped fuel pump duty cycle 26% percent on a e85 car at 700rwhp.

I just checked again. $198 for f10 with ss element. Unless you are getting 15ft of 8an line and fittings for dirt cheap I don't see it possible.

Fwiw in the $800 I was accounting for the upgraded fuel rails as well

elcobrita

Established Member
There are adapters for the stock lines to get an aftermarket filter to work.

Do you have a link?

I was looking for something like that but couldn't find anything. Closest thing to adapters I found was an adapter from metco

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread