So I think my neighbor is a scumbag

01GTB

Established Member
Lived next to this guy for 12 years. Known him for over 20. He's probably 65 now, lives there with his wife and elderly father. I've always pretty much gotten along with him. I've borrowed tools that I didn't have, and I helped him fix his truck last year when he had an electronic gremlin. He knows his way around a carbed engine but new stuff leaves him confused. Seemingly he's a decent guy. I did suspect him of turning me in for having a trailer too close to the front of my house after the county came out to make him move his. When a guy talks to you regularly, then avoids you like the plague for a couple of years, you know what time it is. No big deal. I thought it was kind of shitty, but not the end of the world.

Anyway a couple weeks ago I ordered a big ass oil drain pan online. I kind of forgot about it until Friday, week before last. I'm like, where the hell is my package? It was supposed to be there on Monday. UPS delivery confirmation showed it delivered, left on front porch. I don't have a front porch. Looked around at a couple vacant houses on my street, but didn't see anything. I mean, if it's a neighbor they would just bring it too you. Or call UPS and tell them it they delivered it to the wrong place.

I contacted the retailer and they sent a replacement right away. No problems. Shit happens. It got lost or delivered to the wrong person and they decided to be a douche and keep it. I can think a few people in the neighborhood would do that. But after today, I'm pretty sure it's my next door neighbor :nonono: Tomorrow is garbage day. As I am backing out of the driveway I see an Amazon box sitting out in his trash. As I drove off I thought, wtf. He leaves piles of boxes out there a few times a month, but I don't ever recall seeing an Amazon box. F it. Half the world purchases from Amazon.

But curiosity got the best of me. I turn around and went back. It was dark by then. I threw my box out for the replacement shipment, but this one looked the same size. Like 29"x20x8". A pretty odd sized box. I turn it over and the shipping labels have all been peeled off. I look at the other boxes and he didn't peel the labels off those. I run back to my house and measure the drain pan. The box was just the right width and height. I look up at the front of his house. Porch. Just like UPS delivery confirmation said :uh oh: Any one of these things would be a coincidence. But all of them? I can't prove it, but I think this f'er got my order and said "oooohhh, cool drain pan." :fm:

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
If you have known him for so long, why don't you confront him about it? Even if he doesn't give it back, at least he knows you suspect something and will be watching him. Sometimes, that is a people need to scare them. Maybe ask him if he has a drain pan you can borrow. Good Luck.

01GTB

Established Member
If you have known him for so long, why don't you confront him about it? Even if he doesn't give it back, at least he knows you suspect something and will be watching him. Sometimes, that is a people need to scare them. Maybe ask him if he has a drain pan you can borrow. Good Luck.

If he was younger and not in pretty bad health, I would. I'd just surprise him and pop in on him when he was out in the garage. Depends though. If he pulls any more shit, I might.

Id keep you distance. People get the hint eventually

Yeah, I don't foresee every asking him about it. But I definitely will not ever trust him again. Part of me believes he is just the type to do that, just not to me.

Last edited:

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
OP, I would suggest trying to smooth over the situation, if you can.

I've only known my neighbors for a year, but its better to have them on your side, especially when your house could be broken into. You want these folks calling the cops and looking out for you.

One of my neighbors snow blew his entire driveway on to mine.... after I just shoveled, Another time, he decided to give me shit for mowing my lawn on a Sunday afternoon. It's like an art, trying to keep the balance between good neighbor relations with out going nuts.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
That is always a mistake: If you see a guy being a dick, in general, to everyone except you, you just haven't discovered yet that he's going to be a dick to you, as well. Someone who runs other people down behind their back? Guess what he's saying to others about you when you're not around? If a guy pulls some petty revenge BS and then doesn't talk to you for years: he's a dick.

If he was younger and not in pretty bad health, I would. I'd just surprise him and pop in on him when he was out in the garage. Depends though. If he pulls any more shit, I might.

Yeah, I don't foresee every asking him about it. But I definitely will not ever trust him again. Part of me believes he is just the type to do that, just not to me.

01GTB

Established Member
OP, I would suggest trying to smooth over the situation, if you can.

I've only known my neighbors for a year, but its better to have them on your side, especially when your house could be broken into. You want these folks calling the cops and looking out for you.

One of my neighbors snow blew his entire driveway on to mine.... after I just shoveled, Another time, he decided to give me shit for mowing my lawn on a Sunday afternoon. It's like an art, trying to keep the balance between good neighbor relations with out going nuts.

You know what's funny. I had a truck, trailer, and shit pile of stuff stolen four years ago. Now I'm wondering if one of the hoodlums he built an engine for might not have had something to do with it. If he suspected it, I'm not sure he would have said anything.

Burn his house down.

:lol: Probably won't do that.

That is always a mistake: If you see a guy being a dick, in general, to everyone except you, you just haven't discovered yet that he's going to be a dick to you, as well. Someone who runs other people down behind their back? Guess what he's saying to others about you when you're not around? If a guy pulls some petty revenge BS and then doesn't talk to you for years: he's a dick.

I should clarify. This is something I wouldn't have put past him doing to someone...in 1990. But I guess once a dick, always a dick.

Last edited:

jbs$

Established Member
Be an adult, you have known the guy for twenty years. Man up, go knock on his door in a respectful manor and ask "can we have a talk". Don't go mad, just try to find out what the real issues are, then decide what, if anything you are willing to do to resolve them.

Last edited:

KLLR SNK

Established Member
I understand there are some pretty trick inexpensive security cameras that connect through your home electrical circuit. I have seen one in particular that a student of mine had on the front of his garage and 3 others inside his home, we were viewing it from his iphone in class. Pretty cool. I would install at least one of those cameras (or decoy one) and ask the neighbor how he likes that you can remotely surveil your property clear to his boundaries.

01GTB

Established Member
I actually have a $700 black IR trailcam that takes great pics. But it isn't pointed toward his property. If it had actually been delivered to my house and someone had taken it, they would have been photographed.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
This is one of those things that you let go and act like it's cool so they think they got sway with it but in reality you know they are no good. So you remain friendly but maybe don't help them anymore when they need it and don't help him anymore at all. It's being manipulative but I guess you now have the upper hand because you know he might screw you over bit he doesn't. I do this to shifty people all the time. They think they are pulling a fast one on you because they think you're weak but in reality you're the one manipulating the situations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread