So I dyno'ed, now I have a ticking noise...

NinoAvila

Who's awesome....YOU ARE!
Established Member
th_Videos006.jpg

That was my l2nd run AFTER the guy realized he was in the wrong gear, he geared down, let hte dyno stop and proceeded with my 4th gear pull. See the smoke!

I have owned the car since Sept. of 2006, I've raced it, dyno'ed it and the only work I've had done since owning it was putting on a Stage IV port'ed blower.

I've raced it, but never past 4th gear - ever. I've never been in full boost in any gear above 4th.

The dyno had just been installed into the shop and the shop had not done a pull on more than maybe 1-2 mustangs. They're primarily a chevy shop but since there is only 1 dyno alternative which is farther away and the a/f unit on that dyno is questionable, I decided to go to these guys.

The guy who was dyno'ing the car had trouble finding the gears. It turns out that one of the runs he did in my car was in 6th gear, he held it there for a long time. Even the runs in 4th gear seemed long (see video). The operator downshifted from 3rd to 2nd a few times and I think he just got nervous and put it in 6th when he did one of my pulls. I know he was in 6th because someone commented about how the spedo was pegged out on that run.

Well, when I went home, I noticed the dreaded "head tick" that you hear associated with the 03's that had the head issue. My car is out of warranty and I wanted to see how I should go about approaching the dyno shop - IF at all about what went on. I'm fairly certain the car would ahve been fine had he done the pulls in 4th gear.

Problem is:
I signed a waiver basically saying "if your car craps out, we're not responsible..." Even if I signed the waiver, I expect that a dynoshop wouldn't do a 6th gear pull under 15lbs of boost.

What sort of "help" should I expect from a shop if any?

I dynoed 469rwhp on the mustang-dyno btw...

-N

SVTmojo

Track Junkie!
Established Member
That is the exact reason why I trailer my cars almost 9 hours to Pro-Dyno, to have them do all the tuning. We spend big bucks on our cars and even more money on mods and such, to have somebody less than the best do the tuning simply doesn't make sense. Not the best place to save time or money. Sorry to hear about your car, and I hope everything turns out ok.

YoungGun

Established Member
So you have a ported blower and all the supporting mods and you made 469rwhp??? There's something off with that to start because ported blower cars are generally right around 500rwhp. My car made as much power as yours with just pulleys, exhaust, throttle body, intake, and tune. Though the "tick" could be the fuel injectors if you put larger ones in. I'd say take the car to a mustang specialty shop and have them look at it and tune it.

Did they tell you how many degrees of timing they put in the car and what is your a/f ratio?

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
A good shop would realize that they f*cked up and right the wrong! When I had my car tuned, I signed a waiver....but the shop owner said that if something broke on the dyno....he'd fix it! Sounds like a sh*tty shop to me!

chrisweekspc

Established Member
YoungGun said:
So you have a ported blower and all the supporting mods and you made 469rwhp??? There's something off with that to start because ported blower cars are generally right around 500rwhp. My car made as much power as yours with just pulleys, exhaust, throttle body, intake, and tune. Though the "tick" could be the fuel injectors if you put larger ones in. I'd say take the car to a mustang specialty shop and have them look at it and tune it.

Did they tell you how many degrees of timing they put in the car and what is your a/f ratio?

It was on a Mustang Dyno I believe he said, so he's probably right on target power wise

Fat-cat

Established Member
DOHC 04 SVT said:
It was on a Mustang Dyno I believe he said, so he's probably right on target power wise

thats vid is on a dyno jet... Mustangs dyno's have 2 smaller rollers

NinoAvila

Who's awesome....YOU ARE!
Established Member
It is a mustang dyno and I was there to dyno only, not tune.

I just strapped on, and pulled. There was no adjustment of anything other than an ice-bag on the blower just before the 2nd run.

I am going to contact the shop today, just wondering if it had happened to anyone else.

-N

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
before you contact the shop owner i would try to come up with an approximate range of expectations. are you wanting them to rebuild your entire motor? scope your heads/valvetrain? replace your heads?

moparornocar2

Established Member
Sounds like they burnt the coating off a piston? I have seen this before, Also Mustang dynos have to be run by competent people and have the simulated drag setup properly, The 5th and 6th gear runs smoked your engine. The sound you hear is not a tick but a knock, it will sound like it is comming form the head but when you get under the car it will also come from the oil pan too.I believe the waiver is a safty net for them in case your engine is weak, But there is also something call "Due care", Meaning that it does not remove them for ignorance,ei 5th and 6th gear pulls.Good luck.

baloo

Established Member
I feel for you and I don't want sound overly negative, but if an engine can't handle 20 sec at wide open throttle, I wouldn't necessarily blame the dyno operator. In terms of load and duration the difference between a 4th gear and a 6th gear pull is fairly small, and if those extra seconds cause engine damage, chances are it was running on borrowed time to begin with.

If they had overrevved it on a downshift or if they were responsible for the tune, sure, go after them for a new engine, but if I was the dyno operator, I wouldn't pay for a modded engine that self-destructed on the dyno. As shitty as the situation is for you, but if your engine really was that close to blowing up that a slightly extended pull did the trick, I don't think that's the dyno shops fault.

o4cOb|2a

Wheel Hop 4 Life
Established Member
always 4th gear. Sorry to hear about your problem, thats why always take it to a reputable place, even if you have to drive a little farther. I don't know if you can do much to get problem resolved since you signed that waiver.

Snakebite2k3

Pray For The Dead To Rise
Established Member
wow.. 5th 6th gear pulls are a big no no on these cars:(

Good luck man

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
The shop is responsible!!! Before the dyno tune....no problems. After the dyno tune....problems! It doesn't take a genius to see that the shop is at fault!

moparornocar2

Established Member
baloo said:
I feel for you and I don't want sound overly negative, but if an engine can't handle 20 sec at wide open throttle, I wouldn't necessarily blame the dyno operator. In terms of load and duration the difference between a 4th gear and a 6th gear pull is fairly small, and if those extra seconds cause engine damage, chances are it was running on borrowed time to begin with.

If they had overrevved it on a downshift or if they were responsible for the tune, sure, go after them for a new engine, but if I was the dyno operator, I wouldn't pay for a modded engine that self-destructed on the dyno. As shitty as the situation is for you, but if your engine really was that close to blowing up that a slightly extended pull did the trick, I don't think that's the dyno shops fault.

I have saw a Cobra engine with 10,000 miles lose the coatings on the pistons , ON a mustang dyno, The dyno had the inertia set up for big trucks and when they put the Cobra on it, they stood on it and it never could get over 5,500 rpm! But the dyno operator stayed on the gas for over 20 seconds before letting off. The drag was so much the tires were smoking on the rollers.I know this is the worse example, But have seen similar examples.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Waivers depend on your state. Some cover, some do not. In a case of negligence, they should be still at fault. Best ask an attorney.

And on the ported blower "usually" 500 rwhp..he's wrong its not always the case. Mine with a Stage 4 port, 2.76 pulley and idlers, tune, CAI, upgraded cooling, plugs, etc pulled 481 rwhp and only a 465 tq. SOme cars are stronger than others.

hawk108

Established Member
so these cars are really that vulnerable in 5th and 6th gear? Wow!
What is the explanation for all of these people on youtube posting videos going 150+. . . .do all of them blow their motors?

EDIT: sorry not trying to hijack. That really sucks and I would definitly go after the shop for whatever is wrong as it is obviously something they did.

TCSoff

I'm watching
Established Member
Nicky P 03 SVT said:
The shop is responsible!!! Before the dyno tune....no problems. After the dyno tune....problems! It doesn't take a genius to see that the shop is at fault!

There was no tuning invloved it was just a dyno pull.

svtguy22

Established Member
hawk108 said:
so these cars are really that vulnerable in 5th and 6th gear? Wow!
What is the explanation for all of these people on youtube posting videos going 150+. . . .do all of them blow their motors?

EDIT: sorry not trying to hijack. That really sucks and I would definitly go after the shop for whatever is wrong as it is obviously something they did.
if they didnt blow their motors in the vid, they are sure to have problems in the future.

I also learned the hard way about letting people who arnt very experienced tune my car.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread