So how do you get a stock 99-04 GT hood to close over a 4V swap eaton?

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Before you tell me to "just get a hood", I'm active military and am in Spain. Shipping a hood over here would be at LEAST $1100 and then if it gets damaged in transit I'm screwed. So no go. Too big to ship to my PO Box.

I know it can be done, I've seen it on a few older threads but not how and the PMs I've sent to the OPs haven't got answered.

Trying to decide if I want to go Eaton swap (with a TVS) and this is my biggest hurdle TBTH.

And advice or links would be appreciated.

Rolltide1006

Established Member
Before you tell me to "just get a hood", I'm active military and am in Spain. Shipping a hood over here would be at LEAST $1100 and then if it gets damaged in transit I'm screwed. So no go. Too big to ship to my PO Box.

I know it can be done, I've seen it on a few older threads but not how and the PMs I've sent to the OPs haven't got answered.

Trying to decide if I want to go Eaton swap (with a TVS) and this is my biggest hurdle TBTH.

And advice or links would be appreciated.
Hmm I’m not %100 on this. But can you do what the Honda boys do and put spacers in between the hood and hood hinges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Not going for that, want the hood to close and clear. I know the really well done Bullitt Termi swap that got done awhile back had the hood clear. James McKormick I think was the guy's name. I PM'd him on his thread but no response. No idea. From reading the thread, it was just poly mounts and a smaller pulley to clear the stock 2V hood but no idea. Ugh maybe I'll just order a T trim and call it...

edit: Just read through that Termi Bullitt thread again and it looks like he clearanced some material off under the scoop and got it to close with a small pulley on the stock Eaton. Later on said that when he swapped to a Whipple the hood was a no-go...

Last edited:

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Either put spacers under the k-member to drop the entire engine a little, or see if Tork Tech still sells their extended gt hood scoop to cover the blower. It looks stock, just a little longer.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Yeah I contemplated the spacers... MM Makes a nice set. I don't have coilovers and don't really need them as my front springs/shocks only have 30k on them and are Steeda units. Good excuse to get them I suppose... Except I really don't want to go any lower with the roads around here... I didn't know about the Tork Tech scoop though, don't see it on their site but I emailed them. Thanks!

Last edited:

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I run a 2.8 pulley on a TVS and it clears my V6 hood. Just had to sand down where the pulley sits a little. It does smack the top of the blower (where the snout meets the case) a little but closes fine. I believe the space under the V6 is the same as the GT.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Depends what year V6. The 03/04 V6 hoods are the same hoods as the 99/01 Cobras and are a reverse cowl so they clear easier. If you have a 99-02 V6 hood which is the same as the GT minus the scoop I'd love to see pics. Your sig says 00 so I'm assuming yes?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yeah, 00 I'll have to take pics later. I had to sand almost all the way through with the Eaton and 2.93 pulley. My Asshole friend poked his finger through it so there is a little hole there now (that thin). The 2.8 clears pretty easy though and probably wouldn't require too much material removal.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Is that a spot where the GT scoop would cover? And if the 2.8 pulley clears easily that is pretty good to know then. Can always go with an underdriven crank pulley to get the boost I want... Definitely would love to see pics if you have some spare time. Thanks man.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Sorry I didn't get to it yesterday. Ok so its closers that I thought lol. There is about 1/32-1/16 from the top of the pulley to the outter paint surface of the hood. I just poked a probe to tell so no pic, I didn't want to removed the tape covering the underside of the hole and rip all the cracked paint off. It is about 23.75" from the front lip of the hood to the front of the pulley (measured along the curved hood surface, not straight). Attached are pics showing the hole, and where the blower makes contact. So its doable but not ideal...

Related info: Stock K-Member, Poly engine mounts, Teksid block (probably doesn't matter), no spacerson K or the hood.

Attachments

• 20180627_174500.jpg
    20180627_174500.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 20180627_174807.jpg
    20180627_174807.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 256
  • 20180627_174733.jpg
    20180627_174733.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I seent it lol. Ok I see what you are saying. But with the stock eaton with a 2.8 pulley it could close ok with just minor trimming? There are always K member spacers... maybe install some X2 balljoints like I'm planning and then the 1/2" K spacers and that'll result in a net 0 change but 1/2" more clearance.

Thanks man!

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yeah I had a 3.0 pulley on one Eaton and a 2.93 RR on another (the RR pulley was actually bigger as it had a lip on the outside). I just closed the hood and saw where it made contact. I then used a sanding disk to removed material there, hoping not to pop through. Was able to removed enough it would close and not rub at idle (who know at speed). In any case even if you did break through it's not like the Tork Tech kit where you have 2" of pulley sticking up through your hood.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Yeah very true... I might have found one of the OOP Tork Tech hood scoops and if I use that and spacer the K I don't see why I couldn't make pretty much anything fit. I need a scoop regardless because I have a 99/00 hood.

Thanks again for the pics and info.

Users who are viewing this thread