Snow+Lightning=??????

foreverford

Established Member
Snow + Lightning = ???? I have been saving my pennies for a few months now, to buy my dream truck.:D I was just wondering if any one has driven their L in the snow, is it crazy or ok? I have a 4X4, but its getting hard waiting, im thinking about trading it in so I won't have to wait any longer. Snow good,,,,,,Snow bad??????:-?

Also, I have heard these motors should be broken in...... Does this mean drive easy for X amount of miles,,,,,,, or BREAK it in by haling Butttt?:rolling:

Thanks for any replies,,,,,,,, man I can't wait,,,,,,,, I drool every time I see a L.:scream:

nyctrashguy

Established Member
just do it u wont regret it ,worry about the snow
when it comes.i got my 01 in june so i havent driven in
the snow yet but i plan on puttin my old expedition wheels
on for it.from what i heard its not to good but if u drive
with a light foot,snow tires of some sort of weight
like sand bags in the bed its not to bad.as far a break in
i was full throttle when i left the dealers parking lot.
3000 miles no problem

Good luck,

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
I got my truck in March, then 3 days later a big snow storm. It wasn't much fun, with the stock tires it was a pritty bad in the snow, but I made it home.

I drove my 93 L through a bunch of winters. I think if you get a set of snow tires it should be OK.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Toss about 300lbs. in the back of the bed and use a light foot - you'll be fine (to a point!) Get some sort of cargo bar to keep the weight from sliding forward.

Break it in the right way - FULL Throttle!!:bash: I was leaving my rubber on the road before I got it home ! Almost 14K and NO problems so far!

QKSILVR

Established Member
:fm: It says right on the drivers side door not to use the F1's in winter driving. I learned this the hard way. OH yes the dealer said,"Those tires are good in the snow" Yeah right. First snow I was going 10mph around a curve and I was plowing straight for the guard rail. Yikes! I got the dealer to pay for half of a set of 16inch rims and snow tires. With the snow tires I sthought I was driving a 4x4 after that. WOW, what a difference.

But besides that, I wouldn't trade the L for anything. Well except for maybe a lingenfelter twin turbo vette. :dw:

99BlackBolt

Established Member
I have beat mine like I stole it from the day it came off the dealer's lot... 24K miles later it runs great and has no intercooler leak to date...:scream:
As far as winter driving with snow tires it should be fine... This will be my first year with it in the snow...:sad

Later, Justin

captainoblivious

Slow Vehicles in Training
Established Member
I'm gonna get me a little ricey car for the winter. I'm not gonna risk it. Even if weight in the back and snow tires help, they still don't protect 100% sliding in snow, ice, or compensate for the numerous other drivers on the road.

The hells of NJ.

T.Bone

Established Member
I drove mine all last winter with the stock F1's and I was okay. You just have to make sure not to gas it around the corners, let her coast then lightly give it gas.

I would love to buy a beater for the winter and park the L next to the Torino for the winter. But I have 3 cars now, One of them will have to go and the wife won't let me sell hers. :)

Tim Bindon

Established Member
Oh HELL NO! I drove mine through last winter and regretted every bit of. For the price of snow tires you can pick up a winter beater from somewhere. I just found a 'nice' 4x4 S-10 Blazer for $500. Besides the fact that I got stuck in plowed parking lots and couldn't drive some days the sound of salt clinging everywhere makes me cringe. I'd much rather have a rusty beater out there in the winter than deal with the stress of all those other slackjaw boneheads creaming me. My truck will be warm and dry this winter.

$.02

tms217

Established Member
Blue?

Tim your sig has a blue lightning? Did you paint one? Do you have a pic of it you could post? I think there should be more color options on these trucks.
Terry

Tim Bindon

Established Member
Re: Blue?

Originally posted by tms217
Tim your sig has a blue lightning? Did you paint one? Do you have a pic of it you could post? I think there should be more color options on these trucks.
Terry

The blue Lightning is a bike. '99 Blue Racing Stripe Buell X1 Lightning. Sorry for the confusion. I would take a picture and post it, but it's in the shop like a true Harley!

BadBolt

Established Member
If you don't want to worry about the F1's come Winter, just check out some classifieds and you can get some 16-17" Ford stock wheels/tires and just bolt them on. I got a set of 17" Ford wheels and the truck is totally stable with them. Just stay off the blower when it'w wet or icy.

towsleds2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread