SN95 Rollercoaster

Real98roush

Established Member
Been browsing the forums for quite some time but don't recall if I've ever introduced myself. My friends call me Bobby D. Live in Las Vegas. I've bought a few Mustangs in the past few years. Let me fill you in on my SN95 Rollercoaster.

My dad bought an auto 96 GT a few years ago. She was a dog(Not sure if I have a pic but I'll look). White with a white-ish ratted out convertible top, blue pin stripes, & stars. The car ran good but looked terrible. Over a year & a half we cleaned it up. Changed headlights, lowered, chin spoiler, new bullitt style wheels, black top, & a couple other things. I ended up purchasing the car from him. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446247131.866399.jpg

A week after I bought the 96 GT i found a 98 Roush Stage 2. Never seen one before and couldn't resist so I bought it & sold the 96 GT back to my dad. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446247152.960164.jpg

Installed Comp 270 cams, high flow cats, Magnapacks, CAI, PI intake, C&L plenum, Accufab TB, & had tuned by Shelby LV 270 rwhp in 100+ degree July heat.

Painted the car pearl white & plasti-dipped the wheels. (I've regretted painting the car & have plans to go back to the original silver.)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446247265.950527.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446247544.240436.jpg

The car is a blast to drive & sounds great, however, it's not fast enough (bet you never heard that before :evilstare: ). So I started collecting parts... 04 Cobra shortblock, TF heads, Eddy IM, Kooks headers, MM grip box, 373 gears and all the goodies for the rear ended along with a bunch of fuel system parts. I planned on high compression E85 build with a bottle for the track.

The work was scheduled to commence this fall and complete in the spring but recently had a change of heart. I've never seen another 98 Roush in person or on any forum recently. I'm not sure how many are still around so I decided to leave mine alone.

Well that doesn't cure my urge to mod something & I have all these go fast parts... I started looking around and found an 01 Cobra on CL. It was fairly close so I went to check it out. The guy seemed desperate to sell so I made him a low ball offer. He accepted but, in the end, wouldn't sell me the car when I came back with the cash. He kept saying someone else was buying the car for more money. I got frustrated & started looking for something else.

Found a 96 Mystic. The car ran great but the clearcoat was burned off in areas. Basically stock with the exception of Saleen spoiler, cat less midpipe with Magnapacks, and wheels.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446247493.315580.jpg

Made a good deal & initially planned on flipping it. Well the car has grown on me. The front clip, rear bumper, & roof clear coat is terrible so I've decided to repaint the entire car. Initial quotes were $6-7k but that didn't include the original BASF Mystic which is not acceptable unless it's the only option. Does anyone know where the paint can be sourced?

I plan on doing the prep myself over the next few months. A guy I met at local car shows who does amazing $10-20k hotrod paint jobs offered to mentor me through the prep & help get the car painted for a price that I can afford. I just need some help obtaining the correct Mystic clear.

I plan on selling the 04 Cobra SB, TF heads, & Eddy to help fund this project. I do intend on installing the MM grip box, rebuilding the rear end, & upgrading the fuel system to be E85 compatible.

The sale of the car included all the original parts (spoiler, wheels, & seats). I don't care for the aftermarket seats. The plan is to sell them & use the money to restore the original seats.

Let the games begin!

Last edited:

Garrett Brooks

Established Member
Nice set of cars man! Quick question what are the production numbers on the 98 roush? I never knew they made them until I saw you post and started digging and noticed no production numbers that I can find!!!!

Real98roush

Established Member
Nice set of cars man! Quick question what are the production numbers on the 98 roush? I never knew they made them until I saw you post and started digging and noticed no production numbers that I can find!!!!

Thank you. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out production numbers either. From what I've gathered, Roush did not document the early cars.

fastferndog

Established Member
Personally I really like the mistic over the roush. That being said, what turned me off to buying one was the cost of the paint. When it was available ( not sure it still is ), it was ridiculously expensive, something like $600+ for like a small can just to do a fender. Anyhow, I do regret not getting one despite the paint cost. Your cobra looks good except, for the seats, (they don't come close to matching the rest of the interior ).
You will love the MM grip kit! Best mod ever!!

Geno-04

Established Member
Nice set of cars! If you sell off the parts you have once you get the 96 painted it will still be slow and your gonna wanna go fast! Lol. Maybe save up and just keep the parts you already have. I thought of getting a 96 but the whole thing of not being able to get paint made me stay away. Good luck!

Real98roush

Established Member
Nice set of cars! If you sell off the parts you have once you get the 96 painted it will still be slow and your gonna wanna go fast! Lol. Maybe save up and just keep the parts you already have. I thought of getting a 96 but the whole thing of not being able to get paint made me stay away. Good luck!

Thank you. The parts I'm considering selling are 2v except the SB. I'd love to build the Teksid, swap heads, & add boost, but I want to get the paint & chassis work done before I start anything else.

Last edited:

F8L BYT

Established Member
I don't remember where I saw it, but I know the paint is released now and someone makes it, it wasn't available for a while due to them having a copyright or something on it, but I read a few months ago on here that someone is making it again

What seats are those? Looks good!

Real98roush

Established Member
I don't remember where I saw it, but I know the paint is released now and someone makes it, it wasn't available for a while due to them having a copyright or something on it, but I read a few months ago on here that someone is making it again

What seats are those? Looks good!

Not sure on the seats. The PO installed them & i haven't look into them yet.

Did some grinding todayImageUploadedByTapatalk1448152200.724433.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1448152213.113778.jpg

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Here is a 98 Cobra Roush Mustang that was running at a local autocross a few weeks ago. Cool car. I spoke with the owner who had ordered the car from Roush. It has a factory installed Kenne Bell blower among some other goodies. Only the second one I have ever seen in person.

roush-cobra-scca.jpg

Real98roush

Established Member
Here is a 98 Cobra Roush Mustang that was running at a local autocross a few weeks ago. Cool car. I spoke with the owner who had ordered the car from Roush. It has a factory installed Kenne Bell blower among some other goodies. Only the second one I have ever seen in person.

roush-cobra-scca.jpg

Wow! That's awesome. Id love to see some more pics, if you have a chance.

Last edited:

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Unfortunately I don't think I have any other photos. But I'm sure I'll see him in the spring time. Its a nice car, great condition and the engine was recently built.

chao5.0

Established Member
I have a Mystic with the same issue but the paint was neglected for years and the guy I go to for paint said to fix the few body imperfections and then repaint the whole car would cost around $7k, to me that is reasonable and that was with the BASF Mystic paint, I made sure because I had him call his BASF dealer and give them the proper paint code and they quoted us $500 a quart.

Real98roush

Established Member
I received similar quotes. The labor to prep the car is a majority of the cost so I'm hoping to be under $3k when I'm done. I'm going to buy all the materials in the next few weeks & I'll update the post but I'm hoping they don't cost more than $2,000 (includes 3 quarts of Mystic).

Two things I need to figure out still...
1. What type of black base coat is needed
2. Does clear go over the Mystic (my SVT Cert says Mystic clearcoat)

chao5.0

Established Member
from what the BASF rep said and my painter the basecoat was just a black basecoat, nothing special. I never bothered asking about the clear, but I'm sure that is standard as well since the actual Mystic paint is what causes the color shift.

Real98roush

Established Member
I spent a good amount of time yesterday with an BASF representative getting pricing, samples, & asking questions.

I was told the original formula has been revised & the new mixture does not require a black base coat. I have a sample to test. I will spray it over multiple colors & report my findings.

After giving it more thought & confirming with the rep, a clear coat should be used.

My initial estimate is roughly $2,400 for materials which include primer, sealer, paint (mystic) & clear coat. This also includes all the specified hardner, reducers, ect. I provide more details on the materials at a later time. Also note, there's annual increases which go into effect in February this year.

chao5.0

Established Member
all modern vehicles require clear but I don't think its anything special for that paint. I had my painter explain to me how the Mystic works and he said when used over a black basecoat less of the color is needed because black absorbs all forms of light. when used over a lighter color more of the color coat is needed because the lighter the color the more it will reflect the light.

Users who are viewing this thread