SN95 Dual Din radio installed, back-up cam, pics, info, etc

LDC2335

Established Member
[How-to] SN95 Dual Din radio installed, back-up cam, pics, info, etc

Finally went ahead and got a new double din unit to bring my dash up to 2013 technology. I asked around and got several ideas on how to install this and bought everything i could possible need from fiberglass, to plastic epoxy. Though after I got it all apart, I decided to do it this way(by installing the cross beam).One option would have been to fiberglass or glue the install kit to the radio bezel and install as a whole unit, but i was concerned about it coming loose over time, so this is how I did it for those needing ideas. It did take some time to line it up, mark it, test fit, etc. but it is very sturdy and looks good. I would probably us 1/2" metal, and try to make the bends backward towards the firewall if had to do it all over. I attached the beam to the dash with rivets, due to their low profile.

Parts used.
I already had the 04 bezel and aftermarket radio installed, but I listed all parts below for anyone else needing some info.

- Radio bezel from an 01-04 Mustang/Cobra
- Metra wiring harness (though I am not using factory amps, I have re-wired entire car and use a Alpine 5 channel.
- Metra double din install kit
- Pioneer AVH-X4500BT
- Crimestopper Back up camera
- Parking brake override for in motion apps and video
- 3/4'' strip of metal from hardware store(had it for years, don't remember details)
- Advanced app mode iPod integration cable

!!! How-to !!!
1. Remove shifter knob and bezel by pulling up gently
2. Remove A/C vents by pulling gently (not required, but gives you something to hold on to).
3. Remove entire radio bezel.
4. Remove factory/aftermarket radio
5. Cut the plastic tabs on each side of the opening
6. Cut out plastic support beam on bottom
7. Cut and bend metal to make new support beam, make your bends as 90ish degrees as possible. Make it tight enough that it can hold itself in place. This will take some trial and error.
8. Once beam is built and snug, install radio bezel with the dual din trim piece by squeezing them together at the bottom of the radio opening.
9. Line up support beam and mark on dash opening where beam should be drilled in for good.
10. Also mark where dual din kit tabs should line up at bottom.
11. Drill all marked required holes. Remember that if using rivets in to attach beam to dash, drill your holes the exact size of the rivet so it can pull itself snug.
12. You can build a beam to go from your newly created beam, back to the metal beam near the firewall, I didn’t. I felt it was snug enough. Install your new beam to the dash.
13. Obviously connect all wiring and then attach your new radio installed in the double din kit to your new beam with 2 bolts.
14. Install newly painted new edge radio bezel. You may have to reach under radio and put upward pressure on radio while at the same time installing bezel.
15. Install shifter bezel and knob, don’t forget to reattach cig lighter cable.
16. Done. Congrats

Method two

7. Plastic epoxy or fiberglass the dual din kit to the new radio bezel, let dry and install new radio.
8. I’d recommend some kind or rear support bracket to help with the weight.
9. Install radio bezel with radio installed as a whole unit.
10. reinstall shifter and knob, as well as vents if you removed them.
11. Done.

Pic of custom bracket
IMG_20130827_185835.jpg

IMG_20130827_212124.jpg

Installed pic

IMG_20130829_080449_1.jpg

u3a9a9u7.jpg

Back up cam, I need to bend bracket down a bit.

8ygu8evy.jpg

me2ehy7a.jpg

Last edited:

LDC2335

Established Member
Thanks yall. Hoping others will post pics and methods so others will have a one stop shop when they Google how to do it. I found plenty of finished pics, but not many how to install pics.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android.

D2Fresh16

Established Member
Looks great, I used a similar Pioneer in mine, I love it! Also I tried making a bracket like yours, but I couldn't get my bezel to go on.. I ended up using one that bolted from the bottom. Took me a while to figure out how to mount it but ended up working nicely.

DHG4410

Established Member
Nice job, just did the same to my 99 cobra. I didn't feel there was enough room to place a strip of medal to attach the front of the system too so I made two L brackets. But I like what you did and will duplicate it on my car. Did you use the slide piece on the back of the system?
Thanks

BKMMBA

Established Member
That looks very pro! I've had my parts sitting in the garage for over a year now. I think this is the kick in the pants I need to do the 'surgery' on the snake. I have a couple of questions - OP, what type of fasteners did you use to secure the metal bracket and what type of material is behind the black plastic where these fasteners go? Any challenges getting a good grip there?

LDC2335

Established Member
Nice job, just did the same to my 99 cobra. I didn't feel there was enough room to place a strip of medal to attach the front of the system too so I made two L brackets. But I like what you did and will duplicate it on my car. Did you use the slide piece on the back of the system?
Thanks

No, I didnt use the slide piece, I have had a aftermarket deck in since I bought it in 2009. I thinking I probably tossed all those excess pieces. Right now I have no bottom support other than the brackets on the sides of the dual din kit. It feels pretty sturdy though. A bottom peice would be easy to do if you felt it was required. I felt like it was stout enough, not to mention It was near midnight and in a 90 degree garage, i'd been at it for hours between removing rear seats, routing wires for camera etc.

There is a tiny gap on the left side of my bezel because the bracket was thick and too long. No one else will notice, im just anal. Keep the side pieces on the bracket as short as you can, or even face them to the rear if possible. I had already riveted it in, so too much work to get it out to trim it up.

That looks very pro! I've had my parts sitting in the garage for over a year now. I think this is the kick in the pants I need to do the 'surgery' on the snake. I have a couple of questions - OP, what type of fasteners did you use to secure the metal bracket and what type of material is behind the black plastic where these fasteners go? Any challenges getting a good grip there?

there is nothing behind the black plastic, though it is pretty sturdy/hard plastic. I used two rivets on each side to attach the homemade bracket to.

Looks great, I used a similar Pioneer in mine, I love it! Also I tried making a bracket like yours, but I couldn't get my bezel to go on.. I ended up using one that bolted from the bottom. Took me a while to figure out how to mount it but ended up working nicely.

Yeah, thinner metal, with shorted sides would have been ideal, but I still was able to get the bezel on.

Last edited:

LDC2335

Established Member
Looks good Lee :)

Thanks man!

I bought all the fiberglass stuff to do it like you had mentioned, but this radio had no "cage" that you slide it into like i was expecting. I was planning on fiber-glassing the whole cage and din kit to the new bezel and then sliding the radio right in. I said screw it and when this route.

Also, Not sure if you noticed, I took down the "Bad a$$ mustang of the day" page. Not enough interest to keep it going. After this forum took down my thread to spread the word, the "likes" haulted to a dead stop. Bummer that the mods considered recognizing sweet members rides as "Spam," but meanwhile, members can post links to personal pages and ebay ads all they want. :??:

Last edited:

LDC2335

Established Member
looks really good. does the shifter get in the way when swapping cds?

I'd have to go check..lol

definitely not while in neutral, 2, 4 or reverse, though. I never change out cd's though. That one in the pic was in my old radio and had been there since 2009 when I installed my old radio. Just threw it in to make sure it works. I only use my ipod.

Last edited:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Thanks man!

I bought all the fiberglass stuff to do it like you had mentioned, but this radio had no "cage" that you slide it into like i was expecting. I was planning on fiber-glassing the whole cage and din kit to the new bezel and then sliding the radio right in. I said screw it and when this route.

Also, Not sure if you noticed, I took down the "Bad a$$ mustang of the day" page. Not enough interest to keep it going. After this forum took down my thread to spread the word, the "likes" haulted to a dead stop. Bummer that the mods considered recognizing sweet members rides as "Spam," but meanwhile, members can post links to personal pages and ebay ads all they want. :??:

I glassed the iso mounting kit in and screwed the deck to it. I have to pull it out all the time to get to my wideband and stuff back there. I didn't notice the page was gone but I did enjoy it when it was up.

LDC2335

Established Member
hey man looks freaking amazing what shifter are you using looks like it sits farther back i feel like i have to reach for my shifter

Thanks man, using a MGW w/ orange handle. Definitely sits back further than my steeda tri-ax did.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android.

Last edited:

Tickle

Established Member
Looks great! After a rear end rebuild, I think I'm gonna upgrade my head unit as well. As always, perfect job!

Users who are viewing this thread