sn95 5.0 engine - 4.6 engine swap

cperezsvp

Established Member
i have '94 mustang gt 5.0 vert auto. i'm looking to do a 4.6 swap. I'm looking at either a 96-98 or 99-04 4.6 engine. My buddy has a 03 Cobra and i'm looking to buy his supercharger (80lb injectors,pulley,stock throttle body)after the swap. I know i need a new computer, wiring harness, and k-member. What else do i need? And what are the recomended parts? I'm also unsure of what transmission to use what would be the best? I have just started to research this and have found nothing good. Most likely going to use a soh cam 4.6

cperezsvp

Established Member
just saw on a different post that the '96 and up mustangs used hydroboost brakes, and that the swap isn't worth it. Has any one done this or actually know exactly what is needed?

cperezsvp

Established Member
Well if u wanna make the cobra Eaton work on the 2v u will need the tork tech terminator kit or something like it...

i sent them an email for a price quote, thanks for the help. i believe this is the same kit my buddy "disasterpiece" told me about. Thanks for the help.

Does anybody know any problems i may run int with this swap? My biggest concern so far is the braking system.

cperezsvp

Established Member
i'm getting the eaton sc, fuel injectors, throttle body, inlet all from my buddies 03 cobra. Another friend has a spare 4.6 The price of getting the 5.0 to 400hp is pretty high. I'm getting a good deal on the s/c and the block.

4valvemach

Established Member
You want 400hp at the rear wheels or flywheel?

With intake, cam,full exhaust and heads the 302 can make 350hp at the crank.Do a stroker kit like 306ci,331ci,347ci and a better top end and 400hp will follow with it.

How much is the cost for the 4.6 swap you want?

Last edited:

cperezsvp

Established Member
400rwhp, my 302 has 188,xxx miles on it. I figured it would be just as expensive as to do the 4.6 as building up the 302. I wan't to keep the car as a DD. Plus the 4.6 swap with s/c would be a pretty cool sn95 build.

cperezsvp

Established Member
for the 4.6 block and accesories, wiring (engine, and dash) around 1k, the stock eaton s/c, 42lb injectors, plenum and throttle body for 500.

Last edited:

4valvemach

Established Member
Is this a long or short block?

$1500 is not bad but what about transmission and exhaust and all the other things needed

I say build the 5.0 but the 4.6 would be cool if its a 4valve not the 2valve

cperezsvp

Established Member
i'll have to buy a new exhaust system. The 4.6 would be a longblock. Also i have seen quite a few engine and transmissions on ebay pretty cheap. no really the way i want to go but they include the dash harness, engine harness, axle, braking system (hydroboost), transmission and new pedal assembly, accessores. The kits run about 4500-5500. There is a Blumenthal's Engine/Transmission shop close. Last time i got a beefed up t-5 for around $700 and no tax. Theose guys are pretty cool

ebay link

96 97 98 MUSTANG COBRA 4.6 ENGINE T45 TRANS CONVERSION - eBay (item 120640498996 end time Jan-27-11 13:27:21 PST)

03 04 MUSTANG MACH 1 4.6 ENGINE CONVERSION FACTORY FIVE - eBay (item 130477668026 end time Feb-19-11 16:12:11 PST)

cperezsvp

Established Member
I'm not set instone on this build. I really want advice and see if anyone has done this. I'm just getting most of the stuff for a pretty good deal. Even though this isn't for shure i still really want to do this swap. I'm currently deployed and have about 3months left, but i'll have the buil started before i get back hopefully finished if i decide to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread