Smog....

laruei

Established Member
Lets talk about these new smog laws.. I hear after March 9th the new "Dad" testing system goes into effect that reads off the OBD2 port only.

How does this change the "legitimate" smog places we go to?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It went into affect the end of last year. I had to get my Expedition smogged last September and they never even popped the hood. They checked the gas cap and plugged into the OBD-II port. The issue now will probably be the monitors that aren't set.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
DAD OIS Smog Test System

2000 model year and newer vehicles no longer require the tailpipe portion of the smog inspection.
Late model vehicles will be administered the new On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) Inspection System (OIS) instead of having their exhaust emission analyzed while being driven on a dynamometer. The existing visual and functional test portions of the smog inspection will still apply.

The OIS will be administered using a Data Acquisition Device (DAD). The DAD will be a stand-alone test module (connected to PC) which will determine whether a vehicle passes or fails the smog check based on the data it retrieves from the vehicle's emission control computer. The DAD will be connected to a vehicle via OBD II Data Link Connector (DLC) found on all 1996 and newer OBD II complainant vehicles.

The implementation of AB 2289 is expected to reduce the time and cost of the smog check. The program will now take better advantage of a vehicle's OBD II technology by eliminating tailpipe testing and instead using the vehicle's own OBD II emissions monitoring system.

Who can smog test 2000 & newer cars?

Non-STAR smog stations will be required to purchase OIS equipment only if they choose to inspect 2000 and newer vehicles. If you own a late model car, truck, van or SUV, and you choose to visit a non-STAR certified smog station, call in advance and verify they have OIS test equipment.

You may also choose to visit any STAR station. STAR certified smog centers are required to purchase new OIS equipment. The STAR program allows participating smog stations to inspect all vehicles, but in turn requires participants be fully equipped to inspect any vehicle which comes in.

This new smog test system is already in place in 22 other states. "This new and improved program will have the same result as taking 800,000 old cars off the road, also resulting in a more cost effective program for California motorists." said ARB Chairman, Mary D. Nichols.

Currently California's smog check procedure requires all vehicles undergo a tailpipe emissions inspection to measure harmful pollutant output from the tailpipe, a visual inspection for present and properly installed emissions components, a functional test to insure the proper operation of various emission components; and as part of the functional test, an OBD II computer diagnostic check.

Under AB 2289, the tailpipe emissions portion of the smog inspection will be eliminated for 2000 model and newer cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs.

Background on the OBD II system - All vehicles imported into the United States as of 1996 have had to be equipped with an On Board Diagnostics system referred to as OBD II. The OBD II diagnostic system is designed to monitor all aspects of your engine's emission conditions and report this information to a central database within it's computer. This information is processed and checked against the computers pre-determined values for various input levels and performance patterns.

Miles:
Which Type Should I Choose?

Related Links
The Entire Emissions Test Process... Step-by-Step
Part 1. Emissions Inspection
Part 2. The Visual Inspection
Part 3. The Functional Tests

Category Links
How to pass the emissions test
My car failed the emissions test
Top 8 things before passing the smog test
Check Engine Light - How to turn off the check engine light
Aftermarket performance parts
Smog check fraud being used in California
Trouble codes - How to extract them and what the codes mean
2000 & newer vehicles do not need tailpipe test
Diesel smog check

If any problems are found, the computer will determine whether to alert the driver or not. If a decision has been made to alert the driver of an emissions problem, the "Check Engine" or "Engine Malfunction" light will illuminate on the vehicle's dashboard. In more serious emission conditions the computer may even begin to rapidly flash the "Check Engine/Malfunction" light indicating to the driver, that the vehicle needs immediate diagnosis/repair attention.
AB 2289 now requires the smog test inspection to rely on data from a vehicle's own on board emissions computer to determine the vehicle's harmful emissions production as opposed to using a smog machine to sample the vehicle's emissions output from the tailpipe. This design is expected to reduce the cost of equipment at the smog station, reduce the amount of time it takes to smog check a vehicle, and reduce the cost of the smog inspection to the consumer.

AB 2289 - Makes changes to the following smog inspection procedures and guidelines:

A. Authorize the use of On Board Diagnostic II testing to expedite the process.
B. Vehicles known to release large amounts of pollution must test at stations with the highest performance ratings.
C. Stricter fines structure for improper inspections.
D. Permit the state to contract with the private sector to manage franchise-like networks of independently owned Smog Check stations.
E. Encourage community colleges and other training institutions to develop technician-training programs.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
Examples of Smog Check Fraud:

Clean Plugging - The illegal practice of obtaining engine computer data (OBD II Data) from a passing vehicle as a substitute for the actual vehicle being tested.
Clean Piping - The illegal practice of obtaining an emissions sample (tailpipe exhaust) from a passing vehicle as a substitute for the actual vehicle being tested.
Tach Simulator - The illegal practice of using an ignition pulse simulator to trick the smog machine into believing a vehicle is operating at the proper and passing RPM.
Manipulating Tests - Testing a vehicle improperly. i.e. overheated, underheated, over or under required dyno speeds, and fluctuating drive speeds during the smog test.
Use of Ethanol - The illegal mixing of gasoline with ethanol or methanol to insure cooler combustion. These additives used regularly will damage rubber components within the engine. Using additives to keep your engine clean is not illegal. Using them to manipulate the smog test is.

Fines and penalties associated with smog check fraud include:

For the consumer - A civil penalty of at least $150, but no more than $1,000, may be assessed to anyone who attempts to fraudulently obtain a smog check or inspection. This also applies to anyone who attempts to fraudulently obtain a vehicle repair or hardship waiver, or CAP assistance.
For the station owner - Fines and penalties for station owners can range between $5,000 to $250,000 depending on the amount of investigation time required by the Bureau of Automotive Repairs in order to bring up charges. Fines are almost always accompanied by the loss of the smog station's and smog technician's licenses. For less serious offenses, usually due to negligence or improper training, the first fine is $1000.00. Subsequent offenses double to $2000 and triple to $3000; and the requirement to attend training classes apply in each case.

In order for the Bureau of Automotive Repairs to insure the best interest of the public, several times through out the year smog check stations are visited by undercover BAR agents.

If you are aware or suspect a smog station is conducting illegal smog checks or smog check fraud, call us at 1.877.766.4847 and report it.

To request a BAR Inspector to investigate your claim contact the Bureau of Automotive Repair at 1.800.952-5210.

Maverick-4

Established Member
Just got mine done today on my Neon SRT-4, tech popped my hood, did a full visual inspection, didn't lift the car but looked undernearth, didn't check gas cap, no dyno rollers, plugged into the OBD port and a few mins later I got a pass receipt.

The visual always makes me nervous and to top it off my smog notice required STAR certified station which narrows your choices to smog stations that have tight controls and techs that will check 110%, the one i had today even googled the CARB sticker on my air intake to confirm it matched the part on my car and I didn't just stuck it on.

Ugh thats California for you..

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Just got mine done today on my Neon SRT-4, tech popped my hood, did a full visual inspection, didn't lift the car but looked undernearth, didn't check gas cap, no dyno rollers, plugged into the OBD port and a few mins later I got a pass receipt.

The visual always makes me nervous and to top it off my smog notice required STAR certified station which narrows your choices to smog stations that have tight controls and techs that will check 110%, the one i had today even googled the CARB sticker on my air intake to confirm it matched the part on my car and I didn't just stuck it on.

Ugh thats California for you..

that's right, it is the visual part that could be a problem if you were to just roll into any random station. sometimes they may overlook things and sometimes they don't. really makes no sense because the bottom line is that it doesn't pollute.

WhiteFaleen2001

Established Member
Last time I got my car smogged was after my new engine was put in. I didn't have the hcat code ready (and no matter what I did, it wouldn't show) but still passed on the roller/sniffer. Is it still valid that for 1996-2000 year models, cars can have 2 codes not ready, while 2001-newer are allowed to have 1 code not ready?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
that's right, it is the visual part that could be a problem if you were to just roll into any random station. sometimes they may overlook things and sometimes they don't. really makes no sense because the bottom line is that it doesn't pollute.

it makes no sense. CA isn't about polluting. its about being Big brother and forcing you to pay money. if they really cared it would be be all about what comes out of the tail pipe and not the visual.

oldmodman

Established Member
i just got a 2002 Toyota Corolla SMOG checked at a STAR station in West Los Angeles.

Easy pass. No tailpipe check at all. No inspection under the hood, no looking under the car. Never checked the gas cap either. Just plugged into the OBD II port and it passed in under two minutes.

My 1992 Ford Explorer still had to pass all the old testing requirements. Look under the hood, gas cap test, exhaust recirculator test, evap test, and tailpipe emissions test.

Prep for the test consisted of an oil change, five gallons of E-85 in the tank, and a 20 minute drive on the freeway to get it good and hot. Passed with no problem.

And did you know what California and a lot of other states are doing to get all the older cars off the road?

They change the rules requiring the old car to be cleaner when it's 22 years old than when it was new. With plain old 87 octane I would have failed. With 1/3 of a tank of E-85 I passed easily. :nono:

That must be why it is illegal to put ethanol in your tank to clean up your emissions. I do it because the old pile runs better. :p

yellowneck86

Established Member
If I were to run the Magnaflow catted tru-x pipe in my 2008 Mustang GT, what are my hopes in passing with this new smog law in place? I had my GT smogged last October and it passed. The tech just pulled it in front of the shop's garage, plugged in the OBD2 port to a laptop, stared at the screen for 5 minutes and gave me my certification.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The issue would be if the smog tech is anal and wants you to pass visual. The guy at the place I took our 06 GT went over the car with a flash light and wanted the CARB number for the intake. Which I had.

Stanger00

Established Member
I'm going to roll the dice when I get my notice and hope my pile makes it past visual and obdII check. Have vortech, TB, plenum, longtubes, shorty x pipe, stage 2ish cams, TFS 2 valve heads, deleted PCV, lmao! Why waste my time...

04yfzkid

Established Member
I work part time at a smog shop (not as a technician). I feel like I'm fighting against myself lol.

As of Mar 9th all vehicles are required to get the dad inspection. They started using it back in august of 2014, but up until mar 9 2015 you could still put anything 2000 or new on the rollers.

Anything 2000 or newer is allowed to have 1 monitor not ready.

Anything 1999 and older is allowed to have 2 monitors not ready.

Only the 1999 and older get a gas cap test.

1995 and older get an evap test where the line going to the charcoal canister from the tank gets pinched and the gas tank is pressurized. If the machine says it's leaking you fail.

The dad system reads the VIN off the computer so tricking it is difficult.

Having a tuner disable monitors (ie EGR, catylist, ect) will still show up and fail you. I haven't had anyone tell us the truth yet so I'm not sure if it comes up as NOT READY, or TAMPERED.

Any other questions I'll try to answer or look up if you guys have questions.

ALSO: A lot of cities in California do not require smog ;-)

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I work part time at a smog shop (not as a technician). I feel like I'm fighting against myself lol.

As of Mar 9th all vehicles are required to get the dad inspection. They started using it back in august of 2014, but up until mar 9 2015 you could still put anything 2000 or new on the rollers.

Anything 2000 or newer is allowed to have 1 monitor not ready.

Anything 1999 and older is allowed to have 2 monitors not ready.

Only the 1999 and older get a gas cap test.

1995 and older get an evap test where the line going to the charcoal canister from the tank gets pinched and the gas tank is pressurized. If the machine says it's leaking you fail.

The dad system reads the VIN off the computer so tricking it is difficult.

Having a tuner disable monitors (ie EGR, catylist, ect) will still show up and fail you. I haven't had anyone tell us the truth yet so I'm not sure if it comes up as NOT READY, or TAMPERED.

Any other questions I'll try to answer or look up if you guys have questions.

ALSO: A lot of cities in California do not require smog ;-)

Only if you live out in the boonies near BFE.

04yfzkid

Established Member
Only if you live out in the boonies near BFE.

Yeah sort of. I'd have to look again but land wise I think the majority of the state is smog exempt. San Diego, riverside, and a couple other counties have smog exempt cities. Also the bonnies have po boxes...

Users who are viewing this thread