SMOG HELP!!!!! 03 Cobra

mytjojo

Established Member
I have an 03 Cobra and have been busted by the great ol state of California and have to see the smog ref. I have been yellow flagged and have been told I have to return my entire cobra back to stock in order to pass. Registering it out of state is not an option, don't want to deal with that headache. Was hoping to get any advice from any of you who have been through it so I know what to expect and need to do for the cobra to pass. Any and all advice is appreciated. List of mods below

Thanks

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
damn. well to pass at a ref you are going to have to have a stock 3.65 sized upper pulley, a stock sized lower pulley, a stock h-pipe, a stock intake/airbox, and of course revert back to the stock tune on your xcal2.

i am thinking you might get away with the 60 lb injectors (if they will function on the stock tune), and i doubt they'd be able to detect your steggy port.

best of luck with it. they have really cracked down in the last several years.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Sorry to hear,,

We lived in jersey when we got ours. Guess 2nd hardest state,,

I said I never move.

But we moved

Now that we moved

I never move back

It's easier to pass inspection than purchasing cigarettes here,,

mytjojo

Established Member
damn. well to pass at a ref you are going to have to have a stock 3.65 sized upper pulley, a stock sized lower pulley, a stock h-pipe, a stock intake/airbox, and of course revert back to the stock tune on your xcal2.

i am thinking you might get away with the 60 lb injectors (if they will function on the stock tune), and i doubt they'd be able to detect your steggy port.

best of luck with it. they have really cracked down in the last several years.
Question, why would the lower pully matter? I don't see how it would change anything emissions related

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
when
Question, why would the lower pully matter? I don't see how it would change anything emissions related

personally i don't think most of the stuff they check for matters lol - but when i got reffed the guy was doing all sorts of measuring in the engine compartment, and he even measured the pulley through the stock cover, etc.

but in the same way a smaller upper pulley increases boost, a larger lower pulley also does the same

mytjojo

Established Member
when

personally i don't think most of the stuff they check for matters lol - but when i got reffed the guy was doing all sorts of measuring in the engine compartment, and he even measured the pulley through the stock cover, etc.

but in the same way a smaller upper pulley increases boost, a larger lower pulley also does the same
are they going to bust me if i don't have the stock pulley cover?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Register out of state.

I don't know why people think it's easier to return a highly modified vehicle back to stock than to set up shop somewhere else and tag the car there.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Register out of state.

I don't know why people think it's easier to return a highly modified vehicle back to stock than to set up shop somewhere else and tag the car there.
How do you define "set up shop"?

mytjojo

Established Member
Register out of state.

Its more of a personal choice, never said it was going to be easy but its what i want to do

Users who are viewing this thread