Smells like gas...

97SlickSerpent

Established Member
I have a 97 with about 135k miles. In the past, I've had a problem with it smoking on startup but not everytime. Recently the problem got progressively worse. It now smokes on startup everytime if left to sit for a bit and exhaust smells strongly of gas. I'm not too mechanically inclined as you can probably tell. A possible diagnosis and solution to this problem would be GREATLY appreciated :bowdown: I ran a search but couldn't find anything for my particular issue. If I missed it please link :thumbsup:

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
You need valve stem seals replace. You can just change them but you might want to just have the engine gone through and re-build it.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
You need valve stem seals replace. You can just change them but you might want to just have the engine gone through and re-build it.

x2

Also try getting on the gas up until about 6000RPM, and let off the gas, let the motor slow you down(don't touch the brake pedal) and see if it smokes really bad when you do this. Sounds like valve seals if so.

97SlickSerpent

Established Member
Alright I'll give that a try and report back. Also what kind of expenses am I looking at for valve seal replacement? Rebuild?

97SlickSerpent

Established Member
Alright got on the road and got it to 6k the first time, let it slow down (no brake) and no visible smoke. A couple minutes later, I asked a friend at a stop light to stay behind me and watch for smoke. Took her to 6.5k this time. He told me he did see smoke but very little. Said he wouldn't have noticed it if I had not told him what to look for.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Alright I'll give that a try and report back. Also what kind of expenses am I looking at for valve seal replacement? Rebuild?

Basically around 800ish I would imagine? The heads need to come off, everything disassembled, your new seals/guides installed, everything reassembled again.

I'd suggest contacting Livernois Motorsports for a headjob.:rolleyes: They do great port work, your heads will be like new and you'll pick up some ponies in the process.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Slow down guys.. it might be valve stem seals, but I would start with cheap stuff first. Throw a pair of $10 breathers on the valve covers and drive it for a couple weeks to see if it helps.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Also you should do a compression test. Hate to see you pull the heads and have them rebuilt only to find out it's actually a ring/ring land problem.

97SlickSerpent

Established Member
I will definitely look into a compression test. 800ish is a little much for me right now so I'd like to avoid spending that if at all possible. Is it 800 for the rebuild or for the valve seals? And if it is just rings, how much would that run me and how complex is it to replace them? Could a shade tree mechanic like myself get the job done? And about the breather, sorry if this is a dumb question, but where could I pick them up? Any auto parts store? And would I just ask for valve cover breathers? Thanks

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
You say the exhaust smells like gas. Stupid thing but just to put it out there for fun, are you sure it isn't the filler neck seal on your tank? Mine rotted away and split. It took me a week to figure out where that damn gas smell was coming from. Probably not it but I'm just tossin it out there.

Users who are viewing this thread