Smell of burning oil.....

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Every time I get on my car just a little bit...and to the extreme I smell burning oil when I bring it to a stop afterwards. Not sure if this is due to my O/R X-pipe or if the engine is really burning oil. I had a problem with too much oil consumption with the last engine at 60K miles...but this one only has about 14K miles. I'm currently using Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic.

Anyone have any ideas???

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
I had a problem in my 94...the dipstick would get forced out of the block under hard acceleration (maybe because of the high compression motor????) but when this happened a light mist of oil would get on the headers and I would have the oil burning smell. Just a thought.....and a place to check. Finally fixed it with a nice Lokar dipstick....

FFKnuckles

Giggidy-Giggidy-Giggidy!
Established Member
Did you pinpoint where it's comming from. Hot lap the engine (drive it hard somewhat) and see where the smell is comming from.

I had a oil smell too and turned out to be a bad rear oil seal. I just say sniff around and see.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
my o/r pipe makes mine smell like fuel, not oil. if your car smeels like it's burning oil, its burning oil. keep an eye on the dipstick and get under the car and see if its leaking. like knuckles said, it could be leaking onto the exhaust and burning off, which is why you can smell it so well.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Yep Casper, I agree with the O/R X-pipe hypothesis :)
I know mine gives me a little oil and "old muscle car exhaust" whiff when I throttle her and then come up to a stop. As long as the rear main checks out, and you're not burning it severly...I would think a little blowby through the straight exhuast is going to puff out now and then.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
monkeyspunk79 said:
I would think a little blowby through the straight exhuast is going to puff out now and then.

thing is it's not every now and then. I can only smell it when the windows are down and it's almost every time I drive my car and come to a stop. I'll keep an eye on the dipstick, but those things aren't really accurate....least not as accurate as i want it to be. :-D

5LVENOM said:
Do you run breathers?

No.

COBRASVT

Established Member
Mikey...mine does the exact same thing...drives my girl nuts. There was a post about it a year ago or so on one of these forums.... Most of us with o/r x or h pipes get the smell. I like it :D

mustangdan429

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
my o/r pipe makes mine smell like fuel, not oil. if your car smeels like it's burning oil, its burning oil. keep an eye on the dipstick and get under the car and see if its leaking. like knuckles said, it could be leaking onto the exhaust and burning off, which is why you can smell it so well.

hey j williams that makes no sense when you said "cause its got no cats"

i totally agree with black98cobra on this one. the fact that you have no cats most likely amplifies the smell.

danny

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
Im with him also. I have never smelled oil with mine; just gas.

Jwilliams

Resident Pimp
Established Member
mustangdan429 said:
hey j williams that makes no sense when you said "cause its got no cats"

i totally agree with black98cobra on this one. the fact that you have no cats most likely amplifies the smell.

danny

Kind of answered your own question with that.. no cats = less restriction, easier for the smell of oil/fuel mix from the heads to leak out the pipes. our heads use alot of oil, on average our cars will burn up a 1/4 quart out of the exhaust.. this is with the fuel mix lingers in the pipes and is what most everyone with an o/r pipe smells. :)

mustangdan429

Established Member
Jwilliams said:
Kind of answered your own question with that.. no cats = less restriction, easier for the smell of oil/fuel mix from the heads to leak out the pipes. our heads use alot of oil, on average our cars will burn up a 1/4 quart out of the exhaust.. this is with the fuel mix lingers in the pipes and is what most everyone with an o/r pipe smells. :)

not trying to flame or say your wrong, but oil and fuel should never meet...

Users who are viewing this thread