Smashed trans harness

Createawon1

Established Member
2001 Cobra
100000 mi
No drivetrain mods

I recently replaced a bad throw out bearing and in the process I made the rookie mistake of crushing the transmission wiring harness between the bellhousing and engine. The connector box is straight mangled. The car still shifts fine but my issues now are
-no reverse lights
-no odometer
-sometimes when I put the clutch in it doesnt idle and dies (neutral sensor?)
-doesnt idle high and then drop when you stop.

These all seem to stem from the crushed connector as I checked all the plugs and wires that plug into the trans and they connect fine/no broken pins or wires.

So..if I done messed up bad, what is the best way to fix/repair the wiring harness connector?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If the ECU can't read the speed sensor it'll cause all kinds of issues. It doesn't know when the car is moving versus idling. I'd say your best bet is to source another trans harness. You should be able to find one at a junkyard or maybe even on ebay.

Createawon1

Established Member
Thank you! When I crushed it, it was connected to the plug in part at the main harness which is now also crushed. If that is bad, is just the connector available?

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
You can buy those connectors new. Be careful in the mean time. Like mentioned, the car won't know how fast it's going and can suddenly stall out and leave you without brakes or steering.

Createawon1

Established Member
You can buy those connectors new. Be careful in the mean time. Like mentioned, the car won't know how fast it's going and can suddenly stall out and leave you without brakes or steering.
Yep I'm watching out. Do you get the connectors at O O O Oreilly's or a Mustang online retailer?

Users who are viewing this thread