Smart watch

hoamskilet

Established Member
For those of you that have a smart watch...do you find them super useful, or just a gimmicky gadget? I've tossed around the idea of getting one....theres a few garmins I've had my eye on and have good sales on prime right now. Just wasn't sure if they were worth getting

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Gimmicky for the most part. I use mine mostly for workout purposes. I have not downloaded an app that does not come standard with the watch.

AW

nickf2005

Established Member
I enjoy my Samsung Active. Decent price point versus many others on the market. However, I use a Samsung phone as well.

I enjoy being able to check a notification without pulling the phone out. Quick glance at the watch and I can determine if it needs immediate attention.

Workout detections are a plus, but not my primary use. If you stream a lot of music over earbuds, the music player control is handy as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Ive got an apple watch and use it mostly for workout tracking, just prefer a standard watch for work. If it didn't tie into the phone I don't think I'd like it as much.

08mojo

Established Member
Garmin 5x+ here. it's great as a fitness watch, but very (and I mean very) basic as a 'smart watch.' I can read texts, emails and play music but that's about it as for phone connectivity.

My wife has an apple watch, and she has to charge it every day or every other day. I put my gramin on the charger roughly every two weeks.

If you're after a fitness tracker, Garmin is great. It does everything I want. I have no desire to have anything other than simple messages relayed from my phone to my watch. It's also able to take quite a bit of abuse. I lost mine off my wrist going down the road at 30mph because I didn't clasp the band correctly, it suffered a few minor scratches...I don't think an apple watch would have done as well.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I hate having to charge a watch. Mainly because I never like taking my watch of. It is a "be ready OCD thing" with me. I have had a couple of the Samsung watches, but they just were more of a novelty. There really isn't anything that holds a candle to my G-shock, so that is my EDC. My Mudmaster keeps track of steps, elevation and ambient temperatures. Honestly, I think it tracks my steps better than any of my Galaxy watches did.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had one (Apple) but I found it was not that useful due to the size. It was sort of convenient when I didn't want to carry my iPhone, but I didn't like everyone around me hearing what I was saying. Not that many people nowadays even care about that. My wife, on the other hand, loves her Apple Watch. She wears it all day, every day. And often sleep with it on her wrist. So for her, it isn't a fad. For me.....it was more of a fad! I sold mine on eBay last year.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
I have an Apple Watch and it proved very useful. It’s nice being able to glance down at a text and see if it’s important. If so, I can text or call back. If not, I just ignore it and go about my day until i have a chance to address it. The Fittness tracker is nice and the ability to download music directly onto in and go for a run without a phone is nice too.

I still have a couple of mechanical watches for when it comes time to dress up. But for the Apple Watch is my daily driver.

Blown 89

Established Member
I'm not a fan, it's just a way for these tech companies to bleed your wallet dry by carrying two devices that do the same exact thing.

The only legitimate use I've ever seen people using them for is tracking their kids. A few of the kids I work with have Samsung watches that the parents can call them on. I like them for that use.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I've got two Tags and about 6 Citizens and I never wear them. I have my Iwatch set up for the face to display messages, time, date, temp, battery power. I can use it as a phone without the need of having mine with me which is really awesome if I'm biking. It can do sooooo much so absolutely not a gimmick. Do you need it...nope...still have your phone but it sure makes life easier.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Apple watch is awesome for when you cant dig your phone out to answer it or read a text.

Also works great as an alarm clock. Gives you gentle buzzing to wake you up.

Plus all the fitness and heart tracking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Apple watch is great for specific apps, texting and phone calls if you don’t have your phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SHOdown220

Established Member
Think it really depends on you and your lifestyle. For our anniversary this year my wife and I bought each other watches. I got her the new apple watch and she got me the galaxy watch. I do like having it especially at work as we all communicate via text and calls. If I left my phone at my desk and I have a client waiting someone will text me and let me know. I also really enjoy it on the motorcycle, not that I'm playing with it but I can see if my wife or my kids school is calling without having to find a place to stop, get off the bike and get my phone out. Don't know how many times I've pulled over just to find out it was spam or something not important lol

john11gt

Established Member
I have an Apple Watch. I have it solely for playing music while working out / running , so that I don’t need to have my phone on me.

works decent

bglf83

Established Member
Garmin 935 for me and a 245 music for my wife.

They are technically fitness watches with features to read text and listen to music. The display is always on and customizable but it’s not back lit like a normal LCD. It’s transflective which makes it the most bright in direct sunlight. You cannot make phone calls or reply to texts. The apps on the watch are mostly fitness related but there are many.

Battery life on the 935 is about 3 weeks and 1 week for the 245 if you do not do music or GPS. With GPS the life is shorter, I think you can get about 24 hours continuously using GPS on both watches before the battery dies. I only use GPS during workouts.

The music function drains battery on the 245 pretty good. I thinks my wife chargers her watch every 3 days or so. It will charge all the way up while you take a shower.

Last edited:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Where I work at it’s frowned upon to be on your phone during working hours. Not so much for us set-up mechanics but the operators who should be working. We’re simply held to the sane standard. But I can make a call or send a voice text throughout the day on my watch which benefits me greatly In that aspect. I work second shift so I don’t see my wife as much as normal people so it helps.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a samsung one, not sure the model, 3 or so years old. Still holds a charge well.

Like that it gives me notifications on texts, or calls and I can see who it is without pulling out my phone. Also, the heart beat monitor is nice when working out.Changing songs too is a plus when working out

That being said, I rotate it with traditional watches. Think it can last 2 days with bluetooth/wifi on.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have an apple watch and I like it, I had my sister in law make me a leather band for it. I charge it probably every other day, which doesn't bother me as I take it off pretty much as soon as I get home.

I do like not having to reach into my pocket and grab my phone if I'm in a meeting or at a nice dinner or something, we originally bought it after my dad collapsed and they found out he has afib. We basically wanted to check to see if there was anything wrong with my ticker but it's all been good.

There are a few aviation specific apps (my wife is a pilot) that are extremely convenient. I like that I can check exactly when civil twilight is happening or open the METAR app and check wind speeds and directions.

Rare40th

Established Member
Coming from a fitbit it's nice having an iWatch. Granted its the 1st gen but some friends of ours gave us a good deal and it was too hard to say no. It does everything the fitbit did, just nice to answer calls or respond to messages if I can't use the phone. Like others said it's nice to read a full message/see pictures and determine it's response.

The battery life is definitely crap. But then again I don't need it at night so it's not an issue to charge it. Plus if you do like I did and get rid of the notifications of unnecessary garbage (i.e. social media, emails) but then again I only want it to display battery life, the date, time and my steps/activity

Users who are viewing this thread