Smaller wheels, mo sticky tires

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Most of the tracks out here in SoCal are seldom prepped or lightly prepped. I'm thinking about buying some decent smaller diameter (but wider) wheels and mounting some sticky straightline tires that would not get me booted into a 'hardcore racer' class. Plan to take them in the backup truck and change at the track unless I get a trailer (meow...). I seldom expect them to be used on the street. I don't want to compromise street handling for track ET.

I'm also giving in and getting a good rollbar for the Vert, chucking the the back seat, etc, so there will be no realistic 'rule based' limit to the speed I will soon be able to run. I've stayed basically stock with the engine (around 400 RWHP) , but after I see what I can get out of the engine with the new sticky setup, I will add the next 50+ easy HP to the engine and see what happens next (half-shafts, rear end ha ha).
If you are currently running a smaller diameter wheel and a sticky tire that is something less than an all out slick on a 2003 Cobra, I'd appreciate your input.
Pointing me at a thread is OK too. I searched, but found not much posted in the last couple of months. Found people planning, etc but no fresh spoor.
JW

Fiveohdean

Established Member
jhwalker

I just purchased a pair of 26 x 11.5 ET streets and 16 x 10 diamond racing wheels with 6" back spacing. I'll have them mounted in a day or two and will post some pics when done. Since I live close to the track I'll put these on at home for the round trip. My Nitto DR's didn't make it to 4000 miles, probably becuase I've driven the car more times to LACR than to work. Think I'll be better off with a stickier track only tire and sparing my street tires the frequent burn outs.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Dean,
Thats exactly what I am looking at. The difference is, with your horsepower you will really make use of them.

Also have someone suggesting Weld XP Draglite wheels.

Anyone have comments regarding Diamond and Weld wheels (similiar price ranges)?

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
They do cost a bit more too. I think for what I'm doing the Diamond wheels will be just fine. I'll try to get the wheels and tires before FAMOSO, assuming the roll bar will be ready this week.
Then, I will drop back into study mode for a while.
JW

maoun

Established Member
so what's the final deal with this rollbar? you doin rear seat delete and a normal bar? who's doin it? $$? are you puttin the side bars? they removable?

sorry for all the q's...i trust your opinion too much...hehehe

m.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
so what's the final deal with this rollbar?

Look at the Cobra Vert at RhodesCustomAuto.com in the Fab Shop. If Brian can pull it off it will still have the rear seat. I'd have to get a waiver to let someone ride back there due to the crossbar by the knees.

you doin rear seat delete and a normal bar?
It's a 6 pt.
who's doin it?
B&D
$$?
It's my birthday present from the wife, so I guess I'll find out soon.
are you puttin the side bars? they removable?
Trying to match those removable ones on the Rhodes vert.

I'd be fibbing to say I'm not a bit jacked up on this. Just being able to run at the drags without being subject to getting tossed will be a great step forward. Did you see that racerat is getting near the 11s in Texas with nobody saying anything.
You and I will connect shortly after I have it back -- it may be Friday.
JW

maoun

Established Member
yeah...i heard that about her....kinda sucks

we'll have to connect soon...let me know

congrats man...it'll look good
m.

Users who are viewing this thread