Small battery and mount for the budget minded...

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
My Optima battery weighs 34lbs. This Deka battery (EXT14L) is 12lbs. A 22lb loss for $90 or so and 20 minutes of your time.

1) Deka EXT14L $72.xx shipped (from Amazon last February)
2) Purchase battery posts like XS Power p/n: 580 ($10)
3) Trim driver's side front corner of the battery tray to give the battery cables more length
4) Trim the floor of tray to allow the battery to sit down in the little pocket, giving it support front to back and side to side
5) Fill the hole in the tray with something so the battery can partially sit on it. I used a very dense foam. This can be purchased from McMaster Carr.
6) Drill another hole in the tie down strap that will allow a bolt to go through it and be tight over the battery
20180524_215955.jpeg
20180524_220006.jpeg
20180524_220040.jpeg

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Thanks for posting. Can a battery this small safely handle the draw of a supercharger/intercooler, return fuel system, sound system on a daily basis? I know your car has a lot of that, just looking for assurance.

hand-filer

Established Member
That battery has less CCA than the one in my Harley. I wouldn't trust it to keep up to the demands of the starter, stereo, HVAC, intercooler pump, rad fan, heated seats etc. It's a motorcycle battery that has a disclaimer about being no bueno for automotive use.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Everything I've ever been taught about automotive batteries is that they are only needed to start the car. The alternator provides power to everything else in addition to charging the battery.

hand-filer

Established Member
The battery absorbs the load when a car is started and when high drain accessories are activated. A small battery will fail sooner. Maybe not an issue on a hobby vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread