Slow Tire Leak

little-dw

Established Member
has anyone else had this issue. When I got the car, brand new, I have not hit anything...no potholes, bumps or curb swiped my rims, but eventually the tire pressure light will come one and I'll be down to like 27psi in either one of my rear tires. fronts have always been fine

this was happening with the stock goodyears and since I was getting a set of r888's i figured I'd just air them up and go on along. being it only happened once ever two months or so

after getting the r888's installed, maybe about 3 weeks later, the light came on and I put 35psi in the rears. I drove my car to VA, parked it, and drove back 3 days later. a week later, now, my light just came on again

my rims are fine, i have sprayed my tires with soapy water all around the rim and the tire... no sign of leakage. what would you think it is?

paluka21

Established Member
has anyone else had this issue. When I got the car, brand new, I have not hit anything...no potholes, bumps or curb swiped my rims, but eventually the tire pressure light will come one and I'll be down to like 27psi in either one of my rear tires. fronts have always been fine

this was happening with the stock goodyears and since I was getting a set of r888's i figured I'd just air them up and go on along. being it only happened once ever two months or so

after getting the r888's installed, maybe about 3 weeks later, the light came on and I put 35psi in the rears. I drove my car to VA, parked it, and drove back 3 days later. a week later, now, my light just came on again

my rims are fine, i have sprayed my tires with soapy water all around the rim and the tire... no sign of leakage. what would you think it is?

Did you use the same valve stems/TPMS sensors when changing tires? My passenger side front tire did the same with the stock wheels/Goodyears and I could never find anything wrong.

little-dw

Established Member
Did you use the same valve stems/TPMS sensors when changing tires? My passenger side front tire did the same with the stock wheels/Goodyears and I could never find anything wrong.

yes they should have been the stock tpms ones

i just gave them the wheels and new tires for the rear. im assuming they used the same tpms

this issue was present before getting new tires put on, so this may be the culprit?

paluka21

Established Member
Sounds like the only things it could be related to are the valve or something with TPMS.

railroad

Established Member
Put new R888s on the rear. One of the rims had corrosion or crud on the bead. It looked like something may have been used to help mount the tire. Tire man cleaned it with a rag and cleaner, Asked if I wanted it wire brushed. I declined. The other rim was clean. I had one rear tire set off the low tire pressure sensor, probably the same one.

zsommer79

Established Member
Find a tub big enough to submerge the whole wheel/tire. Air the tire up to max recommended psi, submerge and look for bubbles.

Softballer77

Established Member
Discount tire has a submerging tank they used. My tpms sensors were leaking on the rears so we double o-ringed them as the hole was slightly on a bank. Rebalanced...cured problem.

Ablaze

Established Member
Yup, I have the same problem. Rear right passenger. I can fill it to 35, go drive it, no problems the entire time. I set it to 45 for the winter (late November) and when I came back (late March) all my tires but the rear right passenger were still at 45, that had dropped to 22. I haven't taken it in yet, waiting for this airbag bit so I can do it all at the same time.

In the wheel's defense.. I did hit a small, sharp chunk of wood (strange? I thought so too) bringing it home. I have no idea how, never heard anything, handling was unaffected, but after a while the tire light came on. I had to refill it with air every 100 miles or so. Got to Ford and they showed me what happened. Thankfully I had bought the wheel/tire package hours earlier and they replaced it for free. I thought something else was possibly damaged still.. didn't know anyone else was having this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread