Slotted and drilled rotors?

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
I was thinking about getting a set for the snake. They are made by EMC and are only approx. 300 bucks shipped. What do you guys think? Anybody have them on their car. Thanks -Dan

KingCobra99

Established Member
I was also thinking about getting a front set on my 99. I have 48,000 miles and haven't done anything to the front brakes so it may be time to upgrade. What else needs to be done in addition to the rotors? I need to know what all I need to buy for the front brakes.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I'd bet that $300 is for one set (2 rotors). You can't hardly buy 4 of anything for that price ... if your pads are down close to 1/8 '', you need new pads, high temp grease, pins for the front (& clips), and some high temp paint. You need to paint the inner portion of the rotor (from the center of the rotor to the area where the pad is rubbing) before you install - if not, you'll experience what myself and others have ... RUST! This is a good time to paint the calipers & anchor plates, if you're so inclined - red is very popular. My fronts were dual piston - I don't know what you have. It really pissed me off, after replacing all rotors & pads, to end up with rust. I had to pull the wheels again, wire brush the rotors, mask everything off, and paint the inner portion. All is fine now. You can see my notes & photos at: http://users2.ev1.net/~w8368/brakejob.htm

Dan

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Its for a set of 4 :). All four rotors for 300 shipped. Should I jump on it?

Oh yeah, the rotors have a zinc coating so I dont think they should rust. Well they wont in the middle of the rotor area at least.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Yes, I painted them with high temp spray paint from A-Zone, as told in the LINK I listed. I never disconnected the brake lines, so I had to do a lot of masking to keep the overspray off my painted garage floor, and off the Cobra. The anchor plates come off, so they were easy.

I'd sure like to visit the web site that's going to sell you 4 drilled & slotted rotors for $300. I did a lot of research before I bought mine, and that's $300 less than the rotors I was able to find on the Internet, and at dealers! For that reason, and the fact that most of the advice I got from these Forums, advised against the drilled & slotted rotors, except for cosmetic "Looks cool" reasons.
How about posting the URL of the place you're thinking of buying from?

Go to my Web Site & look at the LINK on my brake job - especially if you haven't done it before. If you have dual piston calipers on the front, there's something there you need to know ...

Dan

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Oh, I had thought it was from a dealer ... the price sounds very good. Haven't come across that brand yet, but the price is damn good for drilled & slotted.

Dan

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
he doesnt take stock brakes and just start drilling holes in them does he. For that price it makes a man wonder. 1 OEM brake plus drill press sell set of four to unsuspecting cobra owner for 260 shipped and then snap crackle pop ass soon as you step on the brakes one too many times. Im getting a set VERY VERY cheap through my moms work because she gets them at cost plus 5%.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
They dont look cheap. Plus his buyer rating is through the roof. Out of 800+ responses, he has a 98.6% good rating. Which is dang decent in my opinion.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Sounds good ... I've never bought anything from e-bay, so I don't have the experience there. I hear you have a 95+% chance of getting a fair deal, but I still hate buying something that I can't look at first - what the hell am I saying ... I bought mine from Advance Auto Parts and never even got to see a picture of them; however, I could always go back and jump up and down on the counter and demand satisfaction!

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread