Slim fan recommendation

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
I’m in a single turbo build right now. CG Fab hot and cold side. Using a borg S480 turbo. I’ve moved the radiator and fan forward about 2.5” and the turbo still hits the fan. Looking for any recommendations on good a good slim fan option. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
That's a pretty standard combo with that hotside and turbo, the turbo should fit. Did you cut the lips off the top and bottom of the radiator so you can push it all the way into the radiator support?

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
That's a pretty standard combo with that hotside and turbo, the turbo should fit. Did you cut the lips off the top and bottom of the radiator so you can push it all the way into the radiator support?
Yeah it’s all the forward up against the support. It’s a mishiomoto radiator.

Attachments

• F9A6826C-AB5D-47D9-8683-86B42A9F4B99.jpeg
    F9A6826C-AB5D-47D9-8683-86B42A9F4B99.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 156

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I'm running a set of the later Dodge Intrepid fans- 3.5L H.O. ones. They flow much better than a lot of the "slim" universal fans and are about the right size for the radiator. They're about 3" deep. They keep the car cool even in muggy 90+ deg F weather. They were pretty cheap too. Lots of writeups on them.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
I'm running a set of the later Dodge Intrepid fans- 3.5L H.O. ones. They flow much better than a lot of the "slim" universal fans and are about the right size for the radiator. They're about 3" deep. They keep the car cool even in muggy 90+ deg F weather. They were pretty cheap too. Lots of writeups on them.
I haven’t seen anyone using them
before, do you have any write ups on them? Or any links?
Thanks

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

any idea how that compares to say a single mark 8 fan?

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I haven’t seen anyone using them
before, do you have any write ups on them? Or any links?
Thanks

I don't have anything handy...that works at least. In fact I went back to reference some of the material I had gotten for it on one of the Mopar boards and it looks like it's been swept into the great internet dustbin. It also used to be used under the "Ramcharger fan" moniker for awhile, also now seemingly disappeared.

They were one of the really popular options for things like foxbodies, G-bodies, and S10s, among things like the MKVIII, Taurus, and Contour fans. Those are also other options.

I know these ones were used in Intrepids and other similar platforms like the LHS or 300M. There were the early fans that had two motors- one bigger/deeper than the other. They flowed the most, but didn't offer as much clearance. With your single they might still work. The later fans had the regular 2.7 variety and the 3.5/H.O. type. The 3.5 type is the better flowing one, but it's a mess trying to decipher it when ordering. The H.O. fans have more blades (6 vs 5, or 5 vs 4?) is one easy way to tell.

The wiring is another discussion. They're 2 speed. The 2.7 ones achieve high speed by energizing both the low and high speed wires. I was told the H.O. ones are controlled the same as the Mustang ones by a Mopar tech and that's how I wired them. I lopped off a junkyard Intrepid pigtail and replaced mine with that. I tried both wiring strategies and it didn't seem to make much difference either way. At worst you add a diode between the high and low wires (or set up another relay.)

Regarding comparison to the MKVIII fan, if I recall the one website that's no longer around, the old/big version of the dual fans flows better than the MKVIII fan, and the new thinner version flows slightly less, but it's lower profile. That's why I had to go with it.

Turbin8r

Established Member
Hey I figured I would reply here. Here is a link to my turbo setup just for reference. It had a Ford OEM dual fan setup from I think a Taurus or Contour? Not sure. I replaced it with 2 16 inch pusher fans and it works really well. I know I have a pic of the new fans installed but can't find it. I'll reply if I find it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/zir-10211

Users who are viewing this thread