Skinnies on the street

Neverlift

scotchy scotch scotch
Established Member
Hey everyone,

Figured I'd throw this one out there and feed off your experience...

I have a set of weld draglites I'm putting on my coupe in prep for a trip to the track. 15x8's in the back with drag radials and 15x4's in the front. I know once I get the welds on the car, I won't want to take them off.

Is there any trick to street driving with the skinnies on the front? Is there a noticable negative impact to steering/braking?

Thanks for any info!

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
A dude I know has a Chevelle with skinnies on it. He was drivin after havin a few drinks and got on it on a back road pullin out of a gas station, rear end came out and he lost control. Couldn't stop in time cuz the front tires wouldn't grip to brake and he hit a sign and f-ed up the car.

I'm not saying this wasn't cuz he was drunk, but just don't get into any situations that you might have to make a very quick stop. Braking will probably suffer.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
sunburned said:
A dude I know has a Chevelle with skinnies on it. He was drivin after havin a few drinks and got on it on a back road pullin out of a gas station, rear end came out and he lost control. Couldn't stop in time cuz the front tires wouldn't grip to brake and he hit a sign and f-ed up the car.

I'm not saying this wasn't cuz he was drunk, but just don't get into any situations that you might have to make a very quick stop. Braking will probably suffer.

My buddy was trying to look cool coming out of a parking lot with his '68 Camaro. He cut the front wheels to hard at the same time he stomped the gas and rolled the skinnies right off the rims in front of everyone. :bash:

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Mr. Mach-ete said:
My buddy was trying to look cool coming out of a parking lot with his '68 Camaro. He cut the front wheels to hard at the same time he stomped the gas and rolled the skinnies right off the rims in front of everyone. :bash:

That'll ruin your day.

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
You have to remember that the skinny is horrible for ANY kind of turning...you have to make turns very slow. Also, if you're not paying attention, a decent-sized pothole will bend the wheel...honestly I wouldn't do it but I do know people that do without incedent...so far.

-Mike

Phillystang2000

Member of the O&A Army
Established Member
I drive on mine and just remember to drive normal. You definitely lose the ability to turn quickly and to stop fast. So far I have had no problems.

Jim

JiggaStyles09

Established Member
i dont think i would run them on the street, i have heard (never actually run them so i cant give first hand experience) turning and breaking are pretty bad compared to normal tires and that isnt a chance i wanna take since my coupe is a DD but im sure if your careful you will be fine.

not to highjack the thread but are draglites ok on a daily driver? i am looking to get a new set of rims in the next few months and i like the look of them and buying a 15 inch tire is probably cheaper than a 17inch plus they are lighter than your average set of cobra r's or whatever. btw i wouldnt run skinnys on the front just wondering about the rim itself. thanks guys.

Phillystang2000

Member of the O&A Army
Established Member
I've been running welds on the street for awhile and haven't had a problem. You do need to avoid potholes, because I have seen friends bend them. I am constantly watching the road to avoid holes so my wheels will last.

Jim

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Sonik Blur said:
You have to remember that the skinny is horrible for ANY kind of turning...you have to make turns very slow. Also, if you're not paying attention, a decent-sized pothole will bend the wheel...honestly I wouldn't do it but I do know people that do without incedent...so far.

-Mike

Just lift them up over the potholes :rockon: :rockon:

FordMustangLove

Lame-o
Established Member
lay off the road, nothing says..(im soo cool) like mr dragsters on the road..

im sure a few pebbles can do some major damage to ur driving skinnies on public road
or puddles
or me breaking too fast

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I did on my 5.0 for about 20 seconds. Then I had them fold over the rim after swerving to miss a car at about 20 mph.

Back off that afternoon.

bigford

Established Member
I used to run 3.5 drag lites with 165 x15 on the front of my daily driver. Did so for two years. Loved the look.They do great in the rain, bad on the pot holes = Hit one good hole and bent 1 rim, so keep your eyes open. Tires are very inexpensive and don't last long. I did drive easy in the turns and hard on the straights.

Users who are viewing this thread