SiriusXM HELP GURU's come on in please

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
I am thinking about getting a Sat radio and would like to poll the audience on lessons learned and things to stay away from etc... as well as which units you feel are best and user friendly..

We are looking for a portable unit we can use in multiple cars as well as on the boat. I have a radio source where needed so I can figure that part out..

question is do they come with Internal antennas and how well do they work?

OR, will I need to mount an ext antenna on each car as well as the boat in order to get reception?

Power suppy should not be an issue either, so don't think I need a battery operated unit.

THinking I will need one with both XM and Sirius capabilities and they both have channels we would like to get.

Best program packages out there etc... is what I need help with.

Thanks in Advance brothers and Sisters..... Merry Christmas!!

Ken

:beer::beer:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
For what it's worth I searched high and low for a decent exterior antenna. I got a head unit with the Sirrus Built in. Could not find anything....

Then, someone just told me to mount the antenna on the inside of the car on the front dash. I did and have no issues at all.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Yeah, Ken's got too many antennas on his CVPI anyway.

DSCF0001-4.jpg

wheelhopper

Established Member
Greg has a point Ken.

Ken I had XM in my '03 at one time, for a year. The unit I had was removable and the extra stations were cool, I just did not drive the car enough to enjoy it. You do have to have an external antena. They are very similiar looking to the aftermarket nav unit antenas. Therefore you will need an antena for each place you want to use it.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Thanks all, just saw a commercial for one you simply plug into a cig lighter

Must have an internal antenna..

anybody have any experience with such a thang?

Ken

:beer::beer:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
depends, there are alot of portable units that allow you to use them on the go, kinda like an ipod. I have an older XM sportscaster, I like to use it while I am mowing the lawn.

Best suggestion, get one with a large screen.

For a portable unit, Id look at the Inno2 by pioneer or the XM XMP3i. Both allow live XM while on the go.

For hardwire units, you can use something like the sporster or the onyx. You can get extra home and car kits for them so you can move it from you car, to the house and to the boat.

For installing them in a car, get a custom made bracket for the car. They always come out looking awsome.

Car Mounts For Mobile Devices | Bracketron

Your also going to want an FM modulator hardwire kit, for either the sirius or XM depending on what brand you get. They plug into the antenna of the car behind the radio. Crystal clear without any static (unless your car has an amplified antenna).

Hope this helps, Ive installed hundreds of them when I worked at Best Buy

convert03cobra

Established Member
I have the stiletto 2 and love it. Its portable and it has playback. You can record songs you hear and it has something like 5 hour playback. It comes with a headset with built in antenna so you can listen to sirius while outside cutting the grass or at the kids outdoor games. Check it out. Its the best one out there I think. Only problem is it sucks picking up the radio requency so you need to go to best buy and get a $30 fm direct connect for the radio. Then it will be crystal clear. SIRIUS Satellite Radio - Introducing Stiletto 2 - The Ultimate in Portable Audio

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Its older, but I have a Starmate 4. I had a 3 but it just died a little after a year for no reason. Been a Sirius subscriber for 5 years and had it in multiple vehicles so I feel I can offer you some good advice.

Yes, get a car kit for each car/boat. This way you pop it out and then into whatever car you're driving. I wrench in my garage a lot. Get a home kit for your house/garage too. Also for the cars: if you don't have a AUX input jack, the built in signal that you use for picking up the Sirius in your car radio sucks. The early ones are good but they're horrible! Get some sort of input/device that shuts off the car antenna so you get a good signal.

Enjoy!

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
all of the radios will get both.. It depends on the package you get..

XM radio you add on the best of sirius
Sirius radio add on the best of XM

Im an Opie and Anthony fan so I got XM.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Thanks again for the help and info

I thought only the Mirage was capable of recieving both XM and Sirius..

Looks like I need to get a decent model and not worry about trying to get a fully portable one, and then I will just mount antennas on what I need to.

Anymore info will gladly accepted as well...

Such as is it worth it? Do you regret it? Just trying to avoid a mistake...

Thanks all!!

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread