single vs. twins

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
Just wondering how much more work is involved to install a kit like the THP twins compared to a hellion single turbo. Can you install the THP kit as easily as the hellion ? Seems like a lot more is involved. Is one more difficult to tune then the other. What about reliability. I do realize the THP kit comes with rails, intake, etc, alot of stuff the hellion doesnt have. some feedback plz....

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
und3rgr0undk1ng said:
Just wondering how much more work is involved to install a kit like the THP twins compared to a hellion single turbo. Can you install the THP kit as easily as the hellion ? Seems like a lot more is involved. Is one more difficult to tune then the other. What about reliability. I do realize the THP kit comes with rails, intake, etc, alot of stuff the hellion doesnt have. some feedback plz....

I can speak for THP, but I can't for Hellion. I am sure Jason will be in here a little bit later though.

The Hellion kit will be hands down easier to install, no argument there. But the THP kit is not hard by any means to install. I did it on my back in my driveway on Jackstands.

Working around a Tubular K-Member has it perks. The Headers go on easy, up-pipes are a breeze with the V-Band Clamps and mounting the turbos are cake. To plumb the Intake pipes, you need to get a holesaw and drill two holes into your inner fenderwell. You will relocate your battery to the trunk while the passenger side is open.

Each would be similar to tune.

Relibility would be the same as well, IMO just go with a BB Turbo.

Yes, THP comes with everything you will need to install the kit. Hellion didn't offer the intake, but I believe they came across some and may still have that as a option, but I am not 100%.

In the end, it will depend on what you want. I perfer twins, so I went THP. I didn't want to use factory manifolds and that style intake, so I went THP. To each their own.

-Matt

TRBO VNM

Matt and Steve, yes the hellion kit has the option of adding on all the 99/01 parts. it doesn't come standard because some already have the parts, but it is an option.

the way I look at the kits are materials used, maintenance/repair and warranties. of course you look at price and customer service as well.

less piping and one turbo to maintain/repair is a benefit. hellion is all stainless and lifetime warranty on the piping, which is made at bassani and the turbo is 1yr unconditional, which I can attest to.

like matt said, it depends on what you want and your plans for your car. then what you can afford.

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
seems like the THP is the better value by far . The far superior Garrets are used with the THP. You get alot more for only like a grand more too, sullivan intake, fuel rails, maifolds, , mass air meter, chip,etc.. The hellion doesnt come with any of that not to mention I still gotta get a stock set of headers and have them coated plus buy the conversion parts. When all is said and done the Hellion comes out to be more expensive and still makes alot less power. The flip side is that the Hellion is ready to ship, perfect fit, its proven and reliable, and great customer service. For instance I called THP early today and left a message, I never did get a call back today. Not exactly a great start eh. The lag on the smaller twins wont be as bad either at the same boost levels as the hellion , however on the stock motor I wont be able to turn those twins up and as a result will end up with more lag at lower boost levels.

Part of me wants to do my motor now since its a lil cheaper and has to be done anyways. Then Id stick with my whipple until I could afford to do the turbo. So now Im lookin at the MMR 1150 stroker, Im just not a fan of Manley pistons at all which is what MMR uses.

Im leaning towards the THP kit tho if I have to choose one but I dont wanna wait 2 months for it to come when I could be sprayin the whipple safely on a built block which would be done in a matter of a week tops. If this trade comes thru with my whipple plus cash for Ed's twin 67 kit then Im gonna hop on it otherwise Im not sure what to do. So many decisions....I did get my bogarts and hoosiers today tho so its a step in the right direction

TRBO VNM

what is the THP kit made out of?

you have to compare apples to apples when talking about price and value. if one is from mild steel that is coated like the HP kit and another is full stainless, there is part of the cost and why you may think the hellion isn't a great value, but I bet you would if you had to recoat pipes a few times.

I think you need more info before stating some of these opinions. hopefully THP calls you back. I know hellions customer service is very good. Jeff answers the phone there now and you can talk to John Urist directly sometimes as well, which is nice.

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
TRBO VNM said:
what is the THP kit made out of?

you have to compare apples to apples when talking about price and value. if one is from mild steel that is coated like the HP kit and another is full stainless, there is part of the cost and why you may think the hellion isn't a great value, but I bet you would if you had to recoat pipes a few times.

I think you need more info before stating some of these opinions. hopefully THP calls you back. I know hellions customer service is very good. Jeff answers the phone there now and you can talk to John Urist directly sometimes as well, which is nice.

Why have I called Hellion NUMEROUS times and even faxed over Dealer Information months ago to no avail?

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
Good point Jason , and thats why Im doin the research like I am. I wanna know all the facts before I make a purchase. Im gonna call THP once again and see if I can get someone on the phone . As far as hellion goes, I got someone on the phone the other day right away to answer all my questions about the kit. So far I'll give the service award to Hellion but I still need to do more research. If I cant make my mind up soon then Im gonna do my block first and wait on the turbo a few more months.

TRBO VNM

2003Slobra said:
Why have I called Hellion NUMEROUS times and even faxed over Dealer Information months ago to no avail?

dunno, maybe they have caller ID? lol

I call almost everyday and usually get jeff on the phone. if I get voicemail I usually just call back 15min later. I typically don't like leaving messages on the manufacturer or distributors phones because it might be a week later you get a call back, if even then. I just ran into that with McLeod.

Every company has its issues and things they need to work through and everyone is busy. I was speaking from my experience with Hellion and actually you are the first I have heard of have a problem, but I am sure there are others. nobody is perfect and wasn't taking a jab at THP.

EDIT: just got off the phone with Jeff @ Hellion. he is looking into his files for you Matt.

EDIT2: Jeff called me back. He wasn't working there last september, but he pulled out your fax and has everything and wasn't sure what the problem was. I said maybe someone didn't call back, but it appears to me you guy are setup. It is a matter of putting in orders, but I think Jeff will be calling you to confirm things.

Last edited:

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
I did get Jim on the phone today and he really made a great impression on me. We talked about the mild steel they use and he assured me they were top notch. He also mentioned that testing has been done and SS cracked before mild steel did. They coat the inside and outside as well as giving you coated manifolds too.

I was also lookin at the PTS kits, anyone using it and what can you tell me about it. It comes with manifolds and an intake and is cheaper then the hellion. They do require a 94-95 sway bar tho , whats that all about ? You have to buy the k member kit seperate as its not included. So it seems the 2 selling points are you get the intake and manifolds with it and both are custom made to work with their kits. I know they make the HPP kit too which is supposed to be top notch. Anyone using the HPP or PTS single kit post up.

TRBO VNM

The SS has been known to crack with the headers and mild steel is better for that, but the rest of the kit I personally prefer SS. MJChip has coated inside and out mild steel piping and has recoated it twice now. he has the HP kit. SS you don't have to worry about.

you would have to call HPP to confirm, but I thought they did mild coated headers and SS piping or it is all SS piping. you need to confirm though. I read that in one of the posts on the other board.

pro turbo makes the piping for the HPP and I am not sure if HPP has a single kit out. I thought it was only twin and I think THP was in the process of making a single, but it was more of a race setup.

did you ask about warranties?

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
PTS does have a single 76mm kit but the site doesnt give alot of details on it. However Jim at THP emailed me a complete parts list today for the kit and it's a heck of alot of stuff for the money. I do need to ask him about the warranty tho . I also really do wanna do the MMR 1150 stroker longblock at this point tho considerin the deal Mark offered me. Maybe that will gimme enough time to do all the research on turbos and get my motor set up first before I start makin over 800 hp. So many decisions to make .....

J

Janstang

TRBO VNM said:
dunno, maybe they have caller ID? lol

I call almost everyday and usually get jeff on the phone. if I get voicemail I usually just call back 15min later. I typically don't like leaving messages on the manufacturer or distributors phones because it might be a week later you get a call back, if even then. I just ran into that with McLeod.
I can vouche for this statement..I usually talk to Jeff or John 1-2times per week and each time is the same as above. Best customer service I have had anywhere..:rockon:

TRBO VNM

Steve,

all of these kits have a heck of a lot of stuff. I have 3 hellion kits at my house if you want to see everything they come with first hand. I think you need to search and talk to individuals who have bought the different kits and installed them on their own. Get their honest opinion and then even ask more people. calling the manufacturers themselves won't give you all the info that is really out there. Of course they all want to sell you their kit.

you can also call their dealers if they have any, but make sure the dealers are also installers and not just a sales person.

myself and Matt from Lethal are good resources for install info. just search around and read threads. you will see who does their own stuff and who doesn't. obviously I can give you plenty of people who have installed the hellion themselves and you can contact them for info. Matt might be able to do the same for THP and you can contact MJChip for the HP and he should know some others with HP kits you can talk to.

BTW, I thought you didn't like the MMR? You were totally against mine when we were talking about trades, but now you are all over them.

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
The motor wasnt what swayed me, it was the color really. I just cant give up this comp orange . I never was totally against MMR, just aprehensive cuz I thought they used off the shelf Manley pistons but now after learning about the pistons they use Im a lil more at ease. The pistons are made for MMR and have been tested along with CP and a few others and Mark feels these manleys are the best out of any they have used.

Keep in mind MMR has made more power with a modular motor then anyone else in the world, not to mention they beat on their cars. Those pistons have held up well. The oil pump they use is the only thing I have heard anything bad about. Thats an easy fix tho. Of course I will need to talk to more MMR owners and get some feedback. Plus VT is way way wayyyy over priced and I'd do an Al P motor b4 going VT for prolly less then the VT. I dont know of any other real good longblocks that can compare to the MMR for the money, in fact there is no other longblock in that price range that can do what the 1150 stroker can do.

Plus the stroker is gonna be only a few hundred bux more then the 1100 and I get billet instead of forged !!!! Also Mark said he could get me my motor within a month with a deposit. However Im close to doing a trade with my whipple plus cash for a THP twin 67mm kit. So I could do the THP for now if this works out for LESS then the Hellion and end up with the intake and fuel system. Then I can do the 1150 stoker longblock later this fall and end up with a comp orange twin turbo with a billet stroker, what could be better ? I got the Bogarts/Hoosiers already and now Im readty to put down some serious power .

If the guy backs out of this trade then Im back to square one. Bottom line is after doin alot of research, talkin to car owners, Jim at THP, spoke to hellion too, spoke to Matt and alot of ppl on modular fords, turboforums, etc.... I just dont see the value in the Hellion. Its a good cookie cutter kit that fits well , ships fast , makes decent power, has a great warranty but at the end of the day its not the same kinda bang for the buck that the THP kit is.

The hellion comes with a decent k member kit but I still need to get the conversion parts(THP includes) and the fuel system. The THP comes with rails in addition to the Sullivan. I'm not saying I made up my mind but at this point Im not gettin the kinda feedback on the Hellions that Im gettin on the THP and HPP.

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
TURBO HORSEPOWER

COBRA Twin Turbo 4V Kit Components:

STANDARD

Twin Garrett 57 MM T3/T4 hybrid Turbos

Jig made Tig Welded 4 into 1 custom 1 ¾” long tube headers

2 -Tial Billet Waste Gates

Tial Billet Blow off valve

Sullivan Custom Intake

Sullivan Fuel Rails (red, blue or silver)

Sullivan Elbow

1” Spacer for Sullivan Intake

QA1 Tubular K Member

QA1 Tubular A Arms

Coil Over Front Suspension Kit

Caster Camber Plates

Lightning Mass Air Meter

Power Steering Reservoir relo kit with brackets and hoses

V Band flanges and clamps to assure tight seals

Quality Silicone connectors in red, blue or black

Large Custom Bar and Plate Low Restriction Intercooler made in house

All Header and collector bolts to ease installation

CNC Mandrel bent cross over and connector pipes

Jet Hot Ceramic Coating, inside and out, on all headers and pipes

H Pipe (with Hi Temp Paint)

Factory size fittings so you can reuse your factory O2 sensors

Computer chip

Bump Steer Kit

Custom Aluminum Overflow Tank

Custom Intake Water Cross Over Tube

Twin 9” large cone air filters that support up to 1500 RWHP

Braided steel oil supply lines for turbos

Alternator Relo kit w/ Alternator

ULTRA Copper Silicone Hi Temp Sealer

Anti Sieze for bolts into aluminum

Hole Saw Kit

OPTIONS

Polished Turbo Compressor Housings $150/pr

Polished Turbo Exhaust Housings (Jet Hot Coated – they look like chrome) $150/pr

Fuel Injectors call

200 Amp Alternator Upgrade $200

Battery Relo Kit $100

Upgraded Intercooler = 30% larger $200

40 Amp Boost A Pump call

Diablo MAFia $150

44 MM Tial Wastegates $400/pr

Polishing of Sullivan Intake and Elbow $600

61 MM through 67 MM Turbos $750/pr

INTRODUCTORY PRICE = $7,995 plus shipping (and tax if in New Mexico )

Users who are viewing this thread