Single Turbo time!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Quick update with the progress of the car.. got all the plumbing on the engine finished up, coolant, oil, and CCV are complete. harness is routed for the most part (needs to be buttoned up). Still need to mount the dash, route all the gate/C02 and BOV plumbing and boost noid, fuel system and brake lines then she will be ready to fire! Hoping to have this thing running and driving before thanksgiving.

Rear end will be getting pulled out for some updates, Strange race brakes, complete brace kit, ARB, 3.73, spool, 9” big ends, strange 33 spline axles.
View attachment 1607642

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

HOLY BALLS. What an absolutely gorgeous engine bay. That came out KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!! Just wow

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Totally missed this yesterday but man you killed it!
Looks and sounds killer, can’t wait to see it locally at the track.
Do you do any events?
-J

thewrubelator

Established Member
Thanks everyone! Super stoked on how it’s turning out.

BiminiLX, I plan on doing Mod Nationals, Street Car Takeovers, and then some local shootouts around Michigan. Haven’t really locked into anything due to Current events. This year I’m not to concerned with events, really want to get in on some track rentals and get this thing dialed in and ready for November!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

thewrubelator

Established Member
Have some things to button up still, going to pull the rear axle out this weekend and get started on that.

The menu for the axle is:
Narrow to tuck the 15x12s
9” billet big ends
Strange 33 spline
Full spool
Marty’s brace kit
Team Z upper relocation
Strange rear brakes
Strange yoke
Ford Racing cover
ARB.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Have some things to button up still, going to pull the rear axle out this weekend and get started on that.

The menu for the axle is:
Narrow to tuck the 15x12s
9” billet big ends
Strange 33 spline
Full spool
Marty’s brace kit
Team Z upper relocation
Strange rear brakes
Strange yoke
Ford Racing cover
ARB.
My TeamZ minitubbed LX runs a Strange 9” with 1-1.5” shorter than stock axles. I run 15x12 Billet Specialties with I think 7.5” BS and 315/60/15s. If you need some for mock up you can use them.
I’m always looking for some track rental time or we used to run the No ET events, so if we’re both looking hopefully we can find more local options.
Stay healthy.
-J

thewrubelator

Established Member
My TeamZ minitubbed LX runs a Strange 9” with 1-1.5” shorter than stock axles. I run 15x12 Billet Specialties with I think 7.5” BS and 315/60/15s. If you need some for mock up you can use them.
I’m always looking for some track rental time or we used to run the No ET events, so if we’re both looking hopefully we can find more local options.
Stay healthy.
-J

Thanks! I’ve got 15x12 welds on the car now, they just stick out a couple inches to far. Lol.
As for a rental, I believe there is one coming up at LID, but I doubt I’ll be allowed to run there with no cage.

thewrubelator

Established Member
Brought the car back home to button up some things and get the axle out of it. Still looks pretty good after only being washed once in the last 2 years
5B4072B7-D967-4FD5-8B48-2A05A3698D49.jpg

thewrubelator

Established Member
Been a while since I’ve been on here. Little update..

Have been working with Keith at Wonder Racing the past month or so getting the tuning lined out in the car. Unfortunately, had an issue I noticed in the log..dropping oil psi getting into RPM. Was only seeing 17# @ 7500. Looked over everything, dropped oil/filter, tried again..same result. So after further talking with Keith, I decided to pull the engine back out, and investigate.

I disassembled the long block, and shot down to scenic Derry, PA to drop off everything at Wonder Racing. Upon inspection, it was found that piston to wall clearance was to large, I noticed quite a bit of wear on the skirts when I pulled the pistons. As well as the oil pump not being centered, and the gears being installed backwards, it chewed the pump housing up and sent strands of aluminum through the system.

It’s a total bummer, but, ya get what you pay for. The builder I used came well recommended locally, I guess it just comes down to the experience with 4v modulars where they lacked.

The engine is with Keith at Wonder Racing receiving a new set of his Wiseco pistons, and being completely gone through. I am more than stoked to get it back from him, and really looking forward to see what the car will do.

it’s a tough break, but, live and learn. You get what you pay for! Sometimes the sticker shock makes you look elsewhere, but experience is priceless.

hoping to have the engine back in 5-6 weeks, and get the car 100% for the remainder of the summer!

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
I know how you feel, I’m in the middle of doing what I thought was going to be a “simple turbo swap” but found out that my motor was put together by Sesame Street so now my motors being built, the heads getting ported, I did a wire tuck, manual brakes/steering, had to move my radiator forward about 2.5” to make room for a borg S480, and decided to go to a Holley HP while I was at it. Hopefully get my motor back in a couple weeks.

thewrubelator

Established Member
I know how you feel, I’m in the middle of doing what I thought was going to be a “simple turbo swap” but found out that my motor was put together by Sesame Street so now my motors being built, the heads getting ported, I did a wire tuck, manual brakes/steering, had to move my radiator forward about 2.5” to make room for a borg S480, and decided to go to a Holley HP while I was at it. Hopefully get my motor back in a couple weeks.

it is a bummer when you’ve gotta do things twice! But worth it in the end to have a reliable platform to pour the boost into. I’m glad I went to the Holley, without it I wouldn’t have found the issue I did within the log and probably would have had a catastrophic failure relatively soon.
All the work you’re doing will be worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread