Single or Twin turbo? opinions from people with these please

Sonicblu0311

Established Member
Lancaster (village), New York, United States
so i just got my new engine and to be honest it was built for an F1a Procharger but the more i drive my friends turbo trans ams, the more i want turbos. the car will be mostly street driven with occasional (once or twice a month) track use. has solid axle and lots of other stuff. heres the setup so far:

suspension:
-Upr k-member with coilovers
-upr double adjustable uppers with solid spherical bushings
-upr single adjustable lowers with solid spherical bushings
-FLSC
-6 point chromoly cage

trans/gears:
-t-56 magnum
-exedy twin plate clutch
-3.27 gears (also have 3.73 for in case the F1A goes on)

engine:
-04 cobra block
-5.0L stroker kit
-8.5:1 compression
-ported heads with over sized valves
-stg 3 blower cams

intake:
-sullivan intake manifold
-accufab large oval throttle body

Have been looking into the CG Fabrication single or twin turbo kits. was debating a single turbo with Turbonetics TC-78 (F1 wheel) or Precision PT-76GTS (billet wheel) or a twin turbo setup with either Precision billet wheel 58mm or 62mm turbos. the goal is i would like to see 600whp on low boost and 1000+ on high boost since i had my engine built to handle 2000hp. looking to make a 140+ trap car in the 1/4. the car will eventually be auto swapped but thats a few years out from now.

evolve

Established Member
Wow, no one? I think I'm pretty set on a PT76GTS billet wheel turbo with a 60mm precision waste gate. I think with the stroker and ported heads it'll spool fast and make good power

From what Ive seen this is a very potent turbo with great spool time. Probably the best choice. If I were to go turbo, Id go with this one.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Single 7675 turbo and ditch that sullivan intake if you wanna have a fun street car. Down the road when you auto swap it throw an 88mm on it and the sullivan and youll have a really nasty car. Twins are too much trouble IMO nowadays when you dont need them.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Couple of things (based upon personal preference)

-Twins are far too much work for the reward, turbo technology has come so far in the last 5 years that a quality single with a billet wheel will spool just as fast as twins. Spool time (if I remember correctly) is the only reason why twins ever became a thing.

-Twins are double the material, double the cost, double the problems when something breaks

PT76GTS is no longer made, you can occasionally find them on the used market.

-I went with the Precision 7675 (76mm like the PT76) w/ billet wheel, it is rated for more power than I will ever want to make. I start build boost with my auto around 2500 with this turbo.

-I make 680 @19psi through an auto on a Mustang Dyno, and could have made more but maxed out my injectors. I also have factory heads, intake, and cams.

+2 on ditching the Sully, those are not street friendly. Mach 1 intakes or 99/01 are the best bang for your buck on a street turbo car, in that order.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Joyrider564

Established Member
Couple of things (based upon personal preference)

-Twins are far too much work for the reward, turbo technology has come so far in the last 5 years that a quality single with a billet wheel will spool just as fast as twins. Spool time (if I remember correctly) is the only reason why twins ever became a thing.

-Twins are double the material, double the cost, double the problems when something breaks

PT76GTS is no longer made, you can occasionally find them on the used market.

-I went with the Precision 7675 (76mm like the PT76) w/ billet wheel, it is rated for more power than I will ever want to make. I start build boost with my auto around 2500 with this turbo.

-I make 680 @19psi through an auto on a Mustang Dyno, and could have made more but maxed out my injectors. I also have factory heads, intake, and cams.

+2 on ditching the Sully, those are not street friendly. Mach 1 intakes or 99/01 are the best bang for your buck on a street turbo car, in that order.

Hope this helps.

Sullivan isnt bad on the street. Car feels like my old stock GT out of boost. That is with a 3.55 gear and 28 in tire.

X R8TED

Established Member
Im mixed about this, Trust me you would have loved that F1 and I can now say Ive had all three (roots,procharger, and currently twin turbos)...Procharger is the best of both worlds IMO. But if I were you I would go with twins, you could go smaller with them, have almost instant boost and have a lot of room to grow..

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Comp turbo has great tech with long warranty, and amazing spool with triple ball bearing tech.

I'd call em up and tell them your goals, your concerns, your build, and see what they suggest.

Compturbo in a google search should bring em up easy.

They have tons of people running records on their turbos in various classes because of the quick spool and quality build, I believe the fastest single turbo 03 cobra of 2012 was running 7.60's on a single comp turbo

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Comp turbo has great tech with long warranty, and amazing spool with triple ball bearing tech.

I'd call em up and tell them your goals, your concerns, your build, and see what they suggest.

Compturbo in a google search should bring em up easy.

They have tons of people running records on their turbos in various classes because of the quick spool and quality build, I believe the fastest single turbo 03 cobra of 2012 was running 7.60's on a single comp turbo

I think these are the turbos that do not require an active feed of oil? Pretty cool stuff.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I think these are the turbos that do not require an active feed of oil? Pretty cool stuff.

Yup, thats them. Ya they can be optioned out oil less or traditional oil fed. They're oil-less is awesome for rear mounts like corvette and gto builds.

I'm setting up their oiled set in my rig because mine are low front mount behind the fog lamps basically so oil lines are easier.

I don't know the price for oil less but my oiled triple ball baring undivided 3" vband .68 t4 based 62/65's (2.5" inlet -4" outlet) thru them are $2748 (for both, $1349 each without shipping, no sales tax either) shipped to my tuners door. That's with surge accommodation ($80 each turbo) and port access. Only thing not in that price are blankets which I believe are $95-150 each but can't remember.

I went twin t4's with "tiny" internals because the tbb spools so fast that it won't really lag, the back pressure will be considerably lower, and I can always have them rebuilt/trimmed for a larger effective a/r and size if I go auto or high rpm cam in the future.

Great guys to work with so far, I've probably called 6-10 times and they've never gotten annoyed.

Edit* finalized the order and still went 62/65's tbb but changed to divided .70 a/r's with polished snails and oil/water cooled plus blankets. $31xx shipped with all the upgrades. Pretty much for the price of one great turbo Im getting 2 amazing turbos. Comp ftw!!

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If I have their history right, two great techs from two leading turbo company's (precision/garret being one of them??) partnered up to build incredible turbos with heightened tech at affordable/boarderline crazy prices.

HFBPA889

BOOST MAKES ME HAPPY!!!
Established Member
I am running a Custom Comp Billet CT43 7476 TBB oil fed, its my first turbo so I don't have a lot to compare it to. I am running 15# boost on the street, I start building boost at 2800 rpm and full boost by 4200. Car moves out but now needs a clutch, lol. I paid $1600 to my door through FWD Performance and spoke with Comp several times about my needs. I was sold on their 1 yr warranty and the fact they have rebuildable turbo's. Plan on a 3-4 week turnaround time because all the turbo's are custom made to order.

Sonicblu0311

Established Member
Wow I haven't been on in days but great info guys! Thank you all for the input. This is the first turbo v8 I'm building so I wanna make sure I do it right the first time. Maybe I will check out comp, I can get good deals cuz a friend of mine has a shop and he is on the ins with them. If not it'll more than likely be the precision 7675, I also debated the tc78 or t76 from turbonetics but I think I would out grow that turbo quickly with this engine that i have now with the ported heads and cams. I Rly Rly contemplated just sticking with the procharger but for the money I can't justify it because w turbo, the sky and my wallet are the limit lol.

Sonicblu0311

Established Member
As for the Sullivan, I'm just gonna run it cuz it is already on the engine and its the intake I've always liked for these. I know you lose a bit of torque which will really suck out of boost, but I've seen some guys gain massive midrange and top end power with them so for now I plan to just stick with it. Especially since my engine was built for a 7200-7400 rpm redline

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I run a Sullivan, I've ran one on a 4.6 as well and it didn't seem bad low end, top end pull on Sullivan's are great

kweb288

Established Member
I went pt88 (precisions cheap turbo) on a stock 04 cobra engine, Chris fab hot/cold side through a th400. Thing made 627hp579trq (trq might be off a little) on a crappy launch meaning leaving off the brake I went 10.95 at 140.6mph on pump gas and 16 psi

Users who are viewing this thread