singl disc shot, dual disc time

13DIB5.0

Established Member
well having my mt82 built, as well as adding a clutch line, mgw , whiteline trans mount and shaftmasters driveshaft and when the trans came down the flywheel was SEVERLY grooved and clutch didn't look good (spec stage 3 plus), thinking this could've been why my syncros where shot. so im pretty sure im going for the mcloed rxt seeing as ill eventually be over 800rwhp but ive heard they have issues when at 7500rpm? is there going to be a better choice out there for me? do yall recommend this one over the rst? and which flywheel for street duties and the dragstrip? aluminum or billet steel? thanks

08mojo

Established Member
I ran a rxt on my terminator. It was absolutely fine on the street and strip. I'd recommend the rxt over the rst. The only difference is the clutch material.

That said, I did not spin the cobra past 6500 rpm. Curious to others experience with a rxt behind the coyote.

ajpturbo

Established Member
DON'T DO IT!

I have an rst. I will probably switch to something different in the future. A couple of things that I don't think McLeod is upfront about

The clutch rattles something terrible about 1600-1900 rpms. People that ride in my car are always saying it sounds unhealthy and it's embarrassing.

The engagement is smooth like stock but there is an initial bite right off the floor but then a large dead period where there is no more engagement until the very top of pedal at which point the clutch grabs..It's very non linear. You get used to it.

I was convinced I had a botched install and called McLeod and they confirmed that both of my symptoms are normal and an inherent problem of a twin disc...I thought this was the best clutch available and certainly the most expensive.

Both problems are due to having the floater plate which is what you get with a twin disc...Not to mention you have to use their flywheel which adds to the cost of the clutch job

So 1200 for a clutch that has quirks.

It does have super soft pedal and stock engagement

I'm trying a spec 3+ next...It's a single disc, full face and should hold between an rst and rxt

Last edited:

draxxus131

Established Member
DON'T DO IT!

I have an rst. I will probably switch to something different in the future. A couple of things that I don't think McLeod is upfront about

The clutch rattles something terrible about 1600-1900 rpms. People that ride in my car are always saying it sounds unhealthy and it's embarrassing.

The engagement is smooth like stock but there is an initial bite right off the floor but then a large dead period where there is no more engagement until the very top of pedal at which point the clutch grabs..It's very non linear. You get used to it.

I was convinced I had a botched install and called McLeod and they confirmed that both of my symptoms are normal and an inherent problem of a twin disc...I thought this was the best clutch available and certainly the most expensive.

Both problems are due to having the floater plate which is what you get with a twin disc...Not to mention you have to use their flywheel which adds to the cost of the clutch job

I'm trying a spec 3+ next...It's a single disc, full face and should hold between an rst and rxt

Well that's because your lugging it down, our 06 saleen with a twin disc and flywheel from Mcleod does the exact same thing at that rpm range. It's called harmonics!

BTW STAY AWAY FROM SPEC! I have friends from all over in various car groups and all of them own multiple cars, and ALL tell me the same problems they have had with SPEC and their products. Their products are hit and miss with SPEC. (Subaru STI installed, failed 1 month later, all coasting no downshifting when it was fresh AND STILL FAILED)

Mcleod not so much, this post above is the first I have ever remotely heard of noise issues. ITS A RACING TWIN DISC!!! It's not meant to be refined.

Last edited:

debit_free_2010

Established Member
I have a RXT, no rattling from it, although I have heard a GT500 that had some rattling with the RXT.

My clutch does grab right off the floor, which I like as it doesn't throw my reaction time off like a clutch that engages at half stroke would, it doesn't have any dead spots? and it shifts fine @7500 and drives like stock on a DD'er

I would not go with any organic disc'd twin disc clutch, like the RST. I had one (not Mcleod) and it dragged badly even after a lot of city driving to break it in. The manufacturer said to put more miles on it.

I swapped it for the RXT and wont go back.

Voltwings

Established Member
Im just going to pop in and comment on my personal experiences with Spec. I had a spec stage 3+ in my mazdaspeed3, and i wanted the full faced single disc for ease of daily driving, which the clutch handled quite well. The pedal was firm, but it wasnt over bearing, it was still easy to get around in minor traffic situations. In my car, that clutch sounded like my transmission was chewing itself apart, it was GOD AWFUL. However, when i sold the built motor and clutch to a friend of mine, it sounded much more subdued in his car... may have been another issue causing the noise in my car, but his is still far from silent.

Also, i have a friend with a saturn sky redline who recently bought a spec clutch (also a 3+ i believe), and the pressure plate was made incorrectly. After getting on the forums and realising other people were having similar issues, they all contacted spec and got a recall. Spec handled it professionally and got them all new pressure plates asap, however, since everything is built-to-order they still saw a good bit of down time.

I believe there is some hit or miss with Spec. Mine held the power, and drove fine, but doing it all again i probably would not get another spec clutch.

Bignasty321

Established Member
What about?

What about get and o.e.m. Clutch and aluminum fly wheel the stock clutch hold up very well and u can buy 4 stock clutches for the price of McLeod ...just a thought and there is a few members with boost and clutch is still fine

jojobee

Established Member
What about the Exedy Mach 600?

I have one and find it very stiff and really noisy.
So noisy that when stopping at a light it sounds like marbles spinning in a metal can until all come to a rest.

Not even sure its normal, tempted to go RXT.

ajpturbo

Established Member
Well that's because your lugging it down, our 06 saleen with a twin disc and flywheel from Mcleod does the exact same thing at that rpm range. It's called harmonics!

BTW STAY AWAY FROM SPEC! I have friends from all over in various car groups and all of them own multiple cars, and ALL tell me the same problems they have had with SPEC and their products. Their products are hit and miss with SPEC. (Subaru STI installed, failed 1 month later, all coasting no downshifting when it was fresh AND STILL FAILED)

Mcleod not so much, this post above is the first I have ever remotely heard of noise issues. ITS A RACING TWIN DISC!!! It's not meant to be refined.

That's fine..But they should tell you it's a rattle trap and the harmonics make noise....They say it's the ultimate street clutch...That is not a characteristic of "ultimate" if you ask me...I could buy a cheaper one that doesn't rattle....I don't always lug it but drive around a parking lot at 3mph in first and you will hear it.

ANd you are so wrong...It is meant to be refined...They tell you it's not for RACING!! It's a street clutch. ANd you must not read...There are countless threads stating the rattle from the floater plate in the twin discs of McLeod...It's my fault for buying before reading those

Do you need me to post the threads?

Your not going to get a discount from McLeod for sucking up to them saying you've never remotely even heard of noise issues from this clutch...You are either ill informed or aiding in the cover up and mis informing others which is immoral....I'm just stating facts

I've also had spec products in the past. So I've had both

Last edited:

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I have the McLeod RXT in my car. Other than it grabbing faster than the stock clutch it's very street freindly. No chatter, light pedal pressure and very little floater noise. I haven't really tested it as far as holding power yet.

I had a Spec 2 on my Supra at about 400rwhp, and one mis-shift killed it.

ajpturbo

Established Member
I have the McLeod RXT in my car. very little floater noise.

I had a Spec 2 on my Supra at about 400rwhp, and one mis-shift killed it.

Very little to you might be a lot to others. Some people are more picky and have higher expectations, especially when the think they are buying the "ultimate" street clutch.

Why would the mis shift kill your clutch? What does killed it mean? Did the mis shift hurt your input shaft which then took out the clutch.

I had an an old fox body that I revved to 8000 rpm....I bent a rod. Doesn't mean the rods were garbage?

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Sounds like all 3 have issues. Anyone have an aftermarket clutch with no issues? I need to buy one soon, mine gets glazed easily now with the blower and takes a bit of driving to go away and the peddle not to shake on release.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
the RXT is the right clutch to go with. its street friendly and works great when racing. also its important to make sure the clutch is installed properly. most people that have issues with the clutch is because they did not have it installed properly. also break in on the clutch is also very important and takes a couple weeks and lots of peddle pumping to get the clutch bled all the way.

ajpturbo

Established Member
the RXT is the right clutch to go with. its street friendly and works great when racing. also its important to make sure the clutch is installed properly. most people that have issues with the clutch is because they did not have it installed properly. also break in on the clutch is also very important and takes a couple weeks and lots of peddle pumping to get the clutch bled all the way.

It's not a racing clutch as stated by McLeod.

It may be the right clutch to go with, as me32 says as long as you don't mind a little rattle at low rpms.

Lots of pedal pumping may NEVER bleed the hydraulics completely...That's why Ford says to use a vacuum pump in the repair procedure when doing a clutch job.

It is street friendly and doesn't chatter and pedal is soft...I just think people should know about the rattle and dead zone as verified to me by MCLEOD...To those of you that can't feel the dead zone I don't know what to tell you, the makers of the clutch will tell you otherwise as they have told me.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Travis(sid) has a McLeod on his 5.0 and did an article on the install. I hope he chimes in here.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I know it's expensive, but what about the Centerforce DYAD twin disc? I haven't used Centerforce in years, but they were great when I did.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
DON'T DO IT!

had a RXT in my old car and it was fine. with 3.31s trying to drive like a grandma it chattered but i think it was driving habbit and 3.31s. get the rpm up higher and it wont chatter at all. if you have dead spot something isnt right. when mcleod says "like stock" they are talking about the clutch pedal. it is as smooth as stock if you bring up the rpm some. i HATED my stock clutch it was inconsistent as hell. the rxt fixed that real quick.

03SBSNAKE

Established Member
I know it's expensive, but what about the Centerforce DYAD twin disc? I haven't used Centerforce in years, but they were great when I did.

I've installed a couple Centerforce Dyad clutches in different cars and they perform very well. Very light pedal close to stock feel and they handle a lot of power. One was in a 600 rwhp vette and one in a 1000 rwhp camaro. They are a little more than the McLeod but I would say it's worth it. I put a McLeod in a gt500 and it did have some noise but it wasn't horrible.

ajpturbo

Established Member
You're not reading my post correctly.

All my symptom are NORMAL, Mcleod confirmed this.

I have NO chatter upon engagement like what you are thinking. When the pedal is all the way out you get a rattle at low rpms. It's not driving style.

The dead spot is normal according to McLeod, they have told me this.

It's because of the clutch design.

Agreed, the pedal is soft as stock and the organic discs should give you no chatter on engagement, mine does not chatter either. No complaints there

Users who are viewing this thread