Simonizing

CobraTone

Established Member
Thinking about getting my car Simonized at the Ford dealership. Anyone heard of it? From what I understand it is like a permenant coat of wax that Ford bakes onto the car. Then bugs and road grime are supposed to wipe right off, and if they leave a mark they will repaint your car. Just wondering if anyone had any comments or if you have gotten it and like/dislike it.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraTone
Thinking about getting my car Simonized at the Ford dealership. Anyone heard of it? From what I understand it is like a permenant coat of wax that Ford bakes onto the car. Then bugs and road grime are supposed to wipe right off, and if they leave a mark they will repaint your car. Just wondering if anyone had any comments or if you have gotten it and like/dislike it.

This one has been discussed at length. I have not heard the term "Simonize" used in 20 years!

These miracle in a bottle coatings are just synthetic waxes and resins loaded with silicone oils - they shine, protect, but do not give the best depth of color or gloss, esp on dark colors. They always require some sort of "reapplication" - if you are lazy and hate to polish your own car, and can live with the look of silicone wax products, I guess they are OK. But usually it is just a $10 product they charge you a bindle for - you are paying for the repps and the "guarantee". Plus, you have no assurance that the person who applies it will be a paint expert, and they will use a proper machine, clean pads, and not thin out the clearcoat. But they are not permament - there is no such thing. I think they are a ripoff, but I like to take care of my car's appearance. I use Zaino.

To me, what good is it to have a guaranteed repaint of lesser quality when you can have a better shine and prevent it in the first place by quarterly cleanings, polishing/claying, and waxing? :shrug:

Baking? There is no baking - they use microwaves and harmonic convergence crystals!

Last edited:

CobraTone

Established Member
Thanks for the help. I actually love to wash and wax my car. My stepdad just offered to get it for me so I was considering it. I'll check out those other threads but you guys are right, it doesn't look that great. I am desperately looking for something to keep the swirls out, since my car is black, I'll look into Zaino.

Cobra'03

Established Member
No protectnat will stop swirls. Swirls are the result of mechanical action or abrasive materials scratching the paint. Some sources:

1) Sand storms
2) Anyone dry wiping the finish
3) Abrasive cleaner/waxes or compounds
4) Drying towels made of polyester (except Miracle Towels)
5) Washing tools (cheap sponges) that do not wick dirt away from the surface
6) Excessively dirty wash water with suspended particles and a cheap wash lacking the compoounds that hold the dirt aove the surface
7) The use of buffing tools and abrasive pads by an incompetent operator
8) Not washing and waxing in forward and back rather than around and around movements
9) Brushes without split bristles

BTW, I use a genuine boar hair brush - expensive, but the safest thing there is - real sea sponges are also excellent

CobraTone

Established Member
Will Zaino get rid of swirls? My car has small amounts of swirls simply from the dealer washing it before they turned her over to me.

Users who are viewing this thread