Side pipes and Chambered exhaust

HI RPM

Established Member
Any one running chambered exhaust? I see that SW has a cat back chambered exhaust, I am sure others must make them to.
I heard that Kooks used to make side pipes for the Boss. I was under the impression that they were a chambered design as well. Possibly old stock at one of our vendors?

I know that the chambered old school sound is not for everyone. I have ran them before, and happen to like there distinct sound. That was with headers and NO cats. I'm sure cats will quiet the sound level down some.
Just thought it might match well w/these modern Boss's high RPM capabilities.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I swapped my mufflers for take off GT500 mufflers, made a nice subtle improvement in my opinion, and a simple, inexpensive mod that took less than an hour to do.

KBBoss302

Established Member
If I recall correctly, the Kooks side pipes were not produced for very long because they didn't have the flexible section like the OE ones and would crack. They were wide open 'megaphone' style ones and apparently were pretty loud.

+1 for 2011/12 OE GT500 axlebacks. The have a wonderful deep old school sound. I had them and then put on FRPP/Borla Tourings and the sound is maybe even a little deeper. Although sometimes I am tempted to go with something louder!

HI RPM

Established Member
DAVESVT2000, did you have the quad tip GT500 mufflers?
Did you have to modify the rear valance panel?
Simple and inexpensive....whats not to like?

KBBoss302, thanks for the heads up on the Kooks side pipes.

Are both you guys running the side exhaust w/OUT the restrictors?

M91196

Established Member
I have a 14 GT with 12 GT 500 axle backs and OEM side pipes with no restrictors.

It’s a pretty good combo but far from obnoxious.

I would try one step louder without hesitation, just don’t want to spend 700 to try something on a car I drove 500 miles in 2018.

I believe your correct, the kooks pipes were prone to cracking, I’d buy a set to try for sure.

There was a thread on TMO were someone made some simple old school sidepipes that were much like the kooks in function....I’ll see if I can find it.

7c9b75480b1ffa5cccc855a9bc542964.jpg

Last edited:

KBBoss302

Established Member
No restrictors on mine. Tried I think 7/8" ones and then changed them to fully open and it is a nicer sound.

The 2011/12 GT500 axlebacks are single exits. If you want to try any of the 2013/14 GT500 quad tip axlebacks (OE or aftermarket), you can just buy this factory lower valance to replace the one on your Boss:

Mustang GT500 Rear Bumper Diffuser/Valance (13-14) 3Z17F828AB

And here is a FRPP kit with OE GT500 quad axlebacks and the lower valance:

Mustang Axle Back Kit – GT500 Mustang Axle Back Exhaust

Last edited:

HI RPM

Established Member
Thanks.
I will look into the 11/12 GT500 mufflers some more.
I will also search a bit more for other cat back chambered systems, besides SW.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
As KB said, up to 2012 the GT500 came with single tip exhaust, so on the 2012 Boss 302 it was an easy muffler swap.

For 2013 and 2014 the GT500 came with quad tip exhaust, and a new rear valance, so this piece is what you need to swap. There was no quad tip valance available in 2012, so therefore none of the Boss 302 guys including myself tried to fabricate a quad tip swap, too much work.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I initially had 11-12 GT500 mufflers on my Boss, then switched to Borla S-Types. I preferred the Borla sound, but the GT500's sounded great and were quite cheap. Also always had open side pipes since I left the dealer lot. You can't go wrong with the GT500 as a start.

HI RPM

Established Member
I was giving the open side pipes and custom axle back exhaust, a little more thought today.

Would anybody recommend putting the stock restrictor plates back in (or change them for ones w/slightly bigger holes, say 1/2 or 5/8's) when going w/new mufflers?

Seems like you could spend a bunch of money for custom exhaust, just to have it drowned out by the open side pipes.

Also wondering if you could be missing or changing the sound/tone thru the rear mufflers due to open side exhaust.

With open side pipes, obviously, you are not flowing as much exhaust thru the mufflers.

Last edited:

Jebadias

Established Member
I wouldn't worry about the side restrictors drowning out anything. I sent the kid under the car to remove them the day I brought it home from the dealership. They really do not make much sound unless you are accelerating. While my car is a little loud I am usually drowned out by everyone else at any cruise I go to.

For what it's worth, my setup is Kooks mid length headers (1 7/8" primaries) and off road mid pipe mated to stock exhaust and mufflers.

Just take them out, you can always put them back in if you don't like it.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Years ago there was a forum member selling a set of plates with various sized holes, so one could experiment with them till they found the sound level they preferred.

I think it was either here or the mustang source. Prob not to hard to get a piece of stock and cut a half dozen plates out and drill out the middle to various sizes.

Swine

Established Member
I am going to be installing a set of QTP Boss 302 electronic valves on my Catless GT500 setup. Nice to have a quiet interior for date nights and GT500 setup is quiet on the inside but tasteful and aggressive on the outside.

boduke0220

Established Member
Does Kooks no longer make the H pipe with Side pipes? I was really wanting their full exhaust here soon

Jebadias

Established Member
Does Kooks no longer make the H pipe with Side pipes? I was really wanting their full exhaust here soon

I'm not sure, I got mine 3 or 4 years ago when the Boss was still sort of new and on manufacturer's radar. Even back then they were not always in stock. I got mine from a major vendor and it took them six weeks longer to get that to me than everything else in my order. If you know anybody with decent fabricating skills you could probably use the flange off the stock h pipe and have them make one out of a standard Kooks mid pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread