Side exit exhaust illegal in TEXAS!!!!! Got a ticket to prove it !!

JKCOBRA98

Established Member
Well over the Holiday weekend my wife was driving our 98 cobra which has a custome side exit exhaust on it and DPS pulled her over and gave her a warning for speeding 80 in a 70 and sited her for illegal exhaust.. They state that the laws in Texas say that the exhaust must exit the rear of the car..

When the exhaust was put on the car the exhaust shop even told me it was legal as I specifically asked about that..

I was told as long as it exits the side of the car or out the rear it is legal. It cannot exit under the car i.e. DUMPS.

Any one have any suggestions on how to fight this? I know that Ford sells Roush mustangs and also Boss mustangs and of course the 2000 Cobra R in Texas.. So what's up! I think they are wrong and I am trying to talk to the Trooper about this.. I am just getting the run around.. The car still has all emissions equipment and the CATS are still factory pieces..

This type of stuff really pisses me off. I am just doing what Ford and Roush have done but yet mine is illegal.

Please any advise would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Matt

JKCOBRA98

Established Member
Ok here it is. I just got off the phone with the Trooper who gave my wife the ticket.. The Exhaust is legal and we have to do nothing further on this matter..

I asked him where in the law books it states that what I have on my car was illegal. I also asked then if it was illegal why is Ford allowd to sell brand new cars with this same type of side exit exhaust.

He then said OK well after a long discussion with a superior of his that does DOT vehicle inspections said this type of exhaust wil pass inspection and is legal..

He said this guy came down on him hard for having given a ticket like this and that there was going to be no further action taken toward this citation. He told me to tel my wife that he has taken care of this citation and she need not concern herself with this matter anymore..

Thanks you Supervisor guy your my hero....

I kept telling my wife it was legal or the exhaust shop wouldn't have done it for me...

Thanks for your help guys...

Matt

Andy M

Established Member
Thank God they haven't heard my '00 R with the Bassani hiflow CATs and exhaust?!! :shocked: They are LOUD! and they have side exits, just like the original Borla exhaust that came with the car... and it is most certainly legal in Texas!!

Glad you got that straight!!

Users who are viewing this thread