Side Exhaust Restrictor Plates

RangerDLA

Established Member
Can anyone tell me where I can buy side exhaust Restrictor plates of different sizes? My car didn't come with them and I'd like to try some 7/8" or 3/4" sized plates if possible. Thanks for any help y'all can lend.

65sohc

Established Member
Have you taken your stock plates out completely yet? At first it seems loud without them but after awhile it sounds completely normal, and great.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Just my 2 cents. I bought the 1/2 inch plates thinking it would be perfect. I took the plates out 1st and thought it wasnt too loud at all. So I wasted my time on the discs. Its not too loud without the plates imo.... but I am a v8 muscle car guy, some could think its loud I suppose. Its one the things I like best about the car is the sound...

Last edited:

RTD

Established Member
I took mine out the day I bought the car and never looked back. Even my wife drives it and doesn't find it too loud.

RangerDLA

Established Member
My plates have been completely out from day one, but with my current mods (Jegs cat deletes, GT500 mufflers, etc.) it is very loud and I want to tune the sound I'm hearing. I just want to play around with it a little and find the perfect tone.

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
I have the 3/4's in and think I will be taking them out next oil change. Make sure you pull them before any Dyno pulls. I had left mine in and noticed a dip in my graph vs none in the LS Boss that ran just before mine. I really love the sound of the exhaust, it's already pretty loud with 3/4 plates, can't imagine it being obnoxious with them out.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
One thing I've noticed since I've removed the cats is that I hear a minor whistle sound when crusing at 2k RPM (most noticable in 4th gear and above) from the side pipe plates. I heard it in both the OEM plates and in the aftermarket 7/8" plates.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I took mine out the day I bought the car and never looked back. Even my wife drives it and doesn't find it too loud.

Anyone who thinks the side pipes with the exhaust stock is loud, should have gone for a ride in my GT when I had the O/R X and Roush Axle backs over a year ago. They make this car extremely quiet.

So did the GT right before I got rid of it. O/R H with Borla S-Types. This car is so quiet in comparison. Can't wait to get the cats off!!!

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
One thing I've noticed since I've removed the cats is that I hear a minor whistle sound when crusing at 2k RPM (most noticable in 4th gear and above) from the side pipe plates. I heard it in both the OEM plates and in the aftermarket 7/8" plates.

My plates have been completely out from day one, but with my current mods (Jegs cat deletes, GT500 mufflers, etc.) it is very loud and I want to tune the sound I'm hearing. I just want to play around with it a little and find the perfect tone.

Either of you without the cats, do the side pipes have an increased drone with no restrictor plates(or wide open ones) and no cats?

Debating on if I should just get the tune and cat deletes and worry about getting cut outs "if" I really need them or not.

I don't mind louder, louder the better, I just don't want an insane amount of drone around 2K as i drive nearly 70 miles on the highway everyday I work. The drone in my 11GT when I had O/R X and Roush axle backs was so bad it was giving me headaches everyday and you couldn't talk to people or hear music when under load, like going up a hill.

Last edited:

monsterpost

Established Member
Took the plates out of the side exhaust and installed ARH pro thunder axel backs: NOT too loud at all. Actually sounds good for everything else being stock.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Either of you without the cats, do the side pipes have an increased drone with no restrictor plates(or wide open ones) and no cats?

Debating on if I should just get the tune and cat deletes and worry about getting cut outs "if" I really need them or not.

I don't mind louder, louder the better, I just don't want an insane amount of drone around 2K as i drive nearly 70 miles on the highway everyday I work. The drone in my 11GT when I had O/R X and Roush axle backs was so bad it was giving me headaches everyday and you couldn't talk to people or hear music when under load, like going up a hill.

I've never had a drone with my OEM sipe pipes or Kooks side pipes while catless. The only time I have experienced drone is with my 2013 GT500 magnaflow competition axlebacks which are quad tip muffler deletes. I get the drone at 1,700RPM from them but never from the side pipes.

Cobra 2997

Established Member

With cat deletes and no restrictor plates, mine sounded ok on acell, but on decel it had too much of a "jake brake" type sound. Went with plates with 5/8" opening and it sounds about right now.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I might just get the cat deletes and tune and worry about the cut offs some other time.

:)

Posted via Topify on Android

Users who are viewing this thread