Sick of this money pit.

Shepp1691

Established Member
So six months ago I got a 99 cobra convertible. I paid $8000 for it which might be a little much but it has all original paint and body panels. As soon as I got home it needed new tires $750, the trans had no fluid in it, and the rear end had so much in it was puking out the front. Even after new ballanced tires car had a bad vibration at 70 mph. I then lowered the with Vogtland sport spring, had the caster camber set. Car still vibrates. I replaced bushing in the IRS with some from FTBR, another $300. Entire car still vibrates so bad at 70 mph it gives you a headache. To top it off the top is leaking and needs replaced, and the clear coat on my all original paint is peeling. So here I am burried in this car, still can't take it to mid Ohio like I got it for cause it still needs a roll bar for that. I haven't drove the car in two months and I'm sick of dumping money into a car that is worth nowhere near what I have in it. Rant over.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
Step back, take a breath. We all get frustrated with the cars, most have been where you are, it'll be worth it when you're done.

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
I know how you feel. I have a 03 cobra. The first year I had it the aux chain on the pass head gave out. It cost $4600 to get it repaired had the car tuned and it ran awesome. Three and half years later I have a bad exhaust valve on the pads side. So I now have to pull the engine and get both heads rebuilt. I'm doing all the labor. All I can say is shit happens. Still love the cobra can't wait till its back on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amoosenamedhank

Established Member
It's slightly unfair to call the car a money pit when it obviously hasn't been cared for to well.

Half of the stuff you mentioned is just general maintenance, the other half was shooting in the dark mods.

It's surprising the paint went down hill so fast considering you cited the reason you paid $8k was because it still had original paint.... I guess I assumed that meant the paint was in good condition. If not, you knew that to start with.

These are the types of things that come up when you purchase a 14 year old car.

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
Hear ya on that, still trying to diagnose the noise coming from my car. I have more sh*t I have to shell money out for with the car. Tires and trans, feel like I'm just blowing coin on a car I can't
Even drive.

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
Hear ya on that, still trying to diagnose the noise coming from my car. I have more sh*t I have to shell money out for with the car. Tires and trans, feel like I'm just blowing coin on a car I can't
Even drive.

That's how I've felt for the last year and half. But I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shurur

Established Member
My guess is that Driveshaft may need to balanced/replaced.

Any used car is going to have some problems..you can get out ahead of them.
All cars break...and eventually you will have more mods than the car is worth to anyone else...they are all money pits....look at it this way: at least you don't own a boat or plane!!!

But if you are at a crossroad with the car..take a deep breath..and decide whether you want to keep it...maybe find the vibration problem..enjoy it for a time then dump it...maybe you'll fall in love with the car again.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
I would diagnose the problem before throwing parts at it to save some $$. You can't give up that easy. I've been dumping money into mine since 2006 lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Shepp1691

Established Member
I would be happy if I could get the thing to ride smooth, never heard of drive shaft going out of balance, read something about crank being out of balance in the 99s.

99MystiC

Established Member
My 99 has been sitting for a 1 1/2 years finally finished carb swap, had 3 diff days at the strip and fried the bearings and sitting again for a couple months now. Its part of this hobby.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
look at it this way: at least you don't own a boat or plane!!!

Ironically my boat is the cheapest vehicle I own to maintain.

I would also go with the drive shaft. Or the U-joints at least. They may be wore out.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Well, by now I don't think my post is gonna be different or any post for that matter.

at least it's not something serious, I've owned my car for 10 months, 8 of them in the shop.
she mixed the coolant with oil twice !!
how is that even possible, and my mechanic says I need a rebuild cause I have one bad piston ring, I decided to ignore him.

overheating issues :(
tires & suspension are shot.
interior is like a dumpster -_-
exterior isn't any different.

man, I'd say you got a good deal xS

Shepp1691

Established Member
My problem is I'm looking at how much I'm putting verse how much its worth, will have to pull drive shaft out.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Have the differential mounts been replaced? Those were the #1 source of my driveline vibe I had when I put an 04 IRS in my car. Pinion angle was way off because of the flattened out mounts.

4valved

Banned
Not to be mean but just throwing parts at it isn't gonna fix the problem you need to diagnose the car. Figure out if its drivetrain related or suspension related. Couple tests you could do is.

Nuetral engine run up.
Hard acceleration
Google nvh diagnosis

fs308

4v noob
Established Member
i know the feeling i bought my car around 8months ago and it always felt like it had a small miss to it and i thought it had the head tick to it. turns out someone put the wrong spark plugs in it and had stripped out the number 8 hole. ive put a total of 300 miles on the car since ive owned it. been saving to repair it properly and do a few upgrades while its getting torn apart

Users who are viewing this thread