Shuttle launch with cam on booster...ground and back

ViciousJay

Established Member
to feel 136g's per second at 3000mph must be insane and if I had one last wish of death give that to me

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Fun fact while the shuttle accelerated transonically it was only at 70ish percent throttle...that way the shockwave was more gently on the craft

Once supersonic they let her eat

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
It's amazing looking back that we only lost two Orbiters.
Atlantis got peppered worse than Columbia in STS-27, on just the 2nd flight after Challenger.
700 damaged tiles and one missing, thankfully there was a steel plate for an antenna taking up most of the exposed area instead of just aluminum.
The astronauts could see the damage and thought they were done, and were getting pissed with mission control's lack of concern.
It was carrying a DoD satellite so the only transmissions were low quality and encrypted. Engineers on the ground saw what they thought were lights and shadows not that it was so badly damaged.
As it landed NASA had an a huge "Holy..." moment.

Attachments

• 1280px-Sts-27_Landing.jpg
    1280px-Sts-27_Landing.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 146

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
It's amazing looking back that we only lost two Orbiters.
Atlantis got peppered worse than Columbia in STS-27, on just the 2nd flight after Challenger.
700 damaged tiles and one missing, thankfully there was a steel plate for an antenna taking up most of the exposed area instead of just aluminum.
The astronauts could see the damage and thought they were done. It was carrying a DoD satellite so the only transmissions were low quality and encrypted. Engineers on the ground saw what they thought were lights and shadows not that it was so badly damaged.
As it landed NASA had an a huge "Holy..." moment.

I watched a special regarding that near disaster, very interesting and shocking. I was really surprised at seeing that damage and the craft surviving. They really did hammer the underside of STS-27, it's amazing those guys had the iron resolve they did, those astronauts knew that bird was ****ed, though they really had no choice.

bigdave03svt

Established Member
I could have sworn I read somewhere that the solid rocket boosters travel another 11 miles or so up before they begin to fall back to earth. Anyone know? That's wild!!

Users who are viewing this thread