Should I

429SCJ

Established Member
Found a really nice 1968.5 428Cj car on BAT. Thinking about selling the 2000 Cobra R and buying the 68.8 428. Please chime in I only have 2 days to decide.

Recon

Established Member
I’d do it. I really like the 00R, but a 68 CJ is more attractive to me. I’m biased in this, take it for what it’s worth.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Bro….
1664897919684.gif

Keep the R

Cobra Jet

Established Member
If it's not for any future "financial gains", meaning vehicle value appreciation with the CJ vs. the R - it could be a tough call. I say this because each has their own pros/cons and likes/dislikes from a Mustang and Collector Car perspective.

The CJ isn't all that rare unless it is a confirmed via Marti "one of one". There's a lot of CJ's still around as it was (at the time) just a mass produced Mustang like any other during the era. It wasn't "special", it didn't come with any "certification" as the later SVT's (or those thereafter). It was a performance Mustang yes, and of the time, yes it had "power" beyond the Non-CJ Mustangs. There's also a shit ton of CJ clones around too - so seeing a CJ on the road (real or fake) isn't really all that surprising.

Side by side - in a few more years the 2000 R will command a premium value because of these simple facts:
- What you have IS only 1 of 300 ever made, period.
- How many of the 300 remain today (anyone know)?
- It was (of its time) the most powerful N/A Mustang ever built and coming off the assembly line - until the 03/04 Terminators took its thunder.
- It does have pedigree and certification via Ford and SVT WITHOUT the need for any "Marti".

Today, as Classic as the 428CJ is, there's still a lot more of those around than the 2000 R, even at 300 R's known to have been built, minus any that are gone from that 300.

I've known people who have gone from a modern Mustang (limited production, high HP or not) to their so called "dream" Classic Mustang - only to eventually sell the Classic because even though it has "raw muscle", it lacks the braking, ease of fuel injection, interior amenities so to speak and the "refined" power bands. This includes myself in this mix of people who did go from a "modern" Mustang to a Classic and then back to a Modern Mustang.

If future financial investment gains are not a thought or concern - then, go for it - you live once - try it, you may keep it or maybe you too will find that after getting it - it's fun for a bit, but just not the same as what you let go....

Not to mention - think of it this way too - IF you let go of your R - what's it going to cost you to replace that very car if you wanted to go back to one...

I know for a fact and have posted this on many Mustang sites - the 00R when new had folks paying above the MSRP and some even paid in excess of $75k++ just to get one. Over the last 10+ years now, the 00R has finally increased in value to the point that some original owners who did pay ADM or way over MSRP are finally breaking even NOW - 22 years later. Go back 10-12 years and these 00R's were a $40-$45k Mustang all day long. To sell one now AND to replace it is not only difficult due to the limited production run - but you're going to get whammied with current day valuations.

If I were in your position - due to what I know and offered above, I wouldn't let go of the R for a 428CJ, or even a Classic Shelby GT350/500... that's just me, but to have a car where there's most likely less than 300 of them in existence today with barely ever seeing 1 around on the road or at shows - you have something special...

429SCJ

Established Member
If it's not for any future "financial gains", meaning vehicle value appreciation with the CJ vs. the R - it could be a tough call. I say this because each has their own pros/cons and likes/dislikes from a Mustang and Collector Car perspective.

The CJ isn't all that rare unless it is a confirmed via Marti "one of one". There's a lot of CJ's still around as it was (at the time) just a mass produced Mustang like any other during the era. It wasn't "special", it didn't come with any "certification" as the later SVT's (or those thereafter). It was a performance Mustang yes, and of the time, yes it had "power" beyond the Non-CJ Mustangs. There's also a shit ton of CJ clones around too - so seeing a CJ on the road (real or fake) isn't really all that surprising.

Side by side - in a few more years the 2000 R will command a premium value because of these simple facts:
- What you have IS only 1 of 300 ever made, period.
- How many of the 300 remain today (anyone know)?
- It was (of its time) the most powerful N/A Mustang ever built and coming off the assembly line - until the 03/04 Terminators took its thunder.
- It does have pedigree and certification via Ford and SVT WITHOUT the need for any "Marti".

Today, as Classic as the 428CJ is, there's still a lot more of those around than the 2000 R, even at 300 R's known to have been built, minus any that are gone from that 300.

I've known people who have gone from a modern Mustang (limited production, high HP or not) to their so called "dream" Classic Mustang - only to eventually sell the Classic because even though it has "raw muscle", it lacks the braking, ease of fuel injection, interior amenities so to speak and the "refined" power bands. This includes myself in this mix of people who did go from a "modern" Mustang to a Classic and then back to a Modern Mustang.

If future financial investment gains are not a thought or concern - then, go for it - you live once - try it, you may keep it or maybe you too will find that after getting it - it's fun for a bit, but just not the same as what you let go....

Not to mention - think of it this way too - IF you let go of your R - what's it going to cost you to replace that very car if you wanted to go back to one...

I know for a fact and have posted this on many Mustang sites - the 00R when new had folks paying above the MSRP and some even paid in excess of $75k++ just to get one. Over the last 10+ years now, the 00R has finally increased in value to the point that some original owners who did pay ADM or way over MSRP are finally breaking even NOW - 22 years later. Go back 10-12 years and these 00R's were a $40-$45k Mustang all day long. To sell one now AND to replace it is not only difficult due to the limited production run - but you're going to get whammied with current day valuations.

If I were in your position - due to what I know and offered above, I wouldn't let go of the R for a 428CJ, or even a Classic Shelby GT350/500... that's just me, but to have a car where there's most likely less than 300 of them in existence today with barely ever seeing 1 around on the road or at shows - you have something special...
I agree. I never understood the difference between HP and torque until I bought an unrestored original 38,000 mile 71 SCJ and then I knew. It was a hell of a handful. To me the 68.5 428 will hold value do to being the first year of the 428. My very first car in high school was a 1972 Grand Torino Spirt with a 411 gear. Second was a juiced up Shelby GT 350. My biggest regret selling car was a 1985 Pantera GT 5 that was built for racing. He started with a Boss 351 engine. It had 500 HP at rear wheels. I currently own a 2013 Boss 302 which is an engineering marvel in itself. It is rated at 444 vs 385 in the 00R but in my opinion the 00R is a much stronger pulling car. In my days you either built cars for 1/4 mile or for highway speed. The one thing I do know for sure is that driving the Cobra R puts the biggest smile on my face then all the cars I have ever owned. So with all that verbiage the decision is in. I may buy the 1968.5 Cobra Jet, but if I do then I will find a way to keep the R.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
The CJ had several chassis differences to include reinforced shock towers like the latter big block years, steering box, sway bar, control arms upper shock tower brace, different springs and purch and master cylinder of coarse the nine inch rear.

429SCJ

Established Member
I use wheel dollies to squeeze 4 cars into a 2 car garage, no lift, all on the floor. JM (another ex-95 R owner here) has been over as he too could not believe it.

Bill S.
Here in central Texas the dirt dabers will build a nest under the car cover so I have to cover my cars and then put them in car capsules. Wanting to get the elite model that I can drive in. These things take up a lot of room so I might have to build me a big ass garage and buy more cars

Users who are viewing this thread