Should I take a Sales Job at Ford Dealer? MA

yuke175

Established Member
Well I am looking for a entry level sales or marketing job. I interviewed at a Ford Dealer in Massachusetts today. They are number two in the state and 7th in new england as far as performance goes.

They operate on a draw / commission pay structure.

Seems like the flow of customers is higher than average and they have around 11 sales reps currently.

What do you think? Is there money to be made? I am a recent college graduate willing to put in the effort but with the knowledge out there on cars today it seems as if they profit margin on commission can be taken away.

Looking for honest opinions... Thanks

Broke

Established Member
My thoughts. If they push high volumes of cars then the salesmen are making good money. With commission, I suspect that it's fairly cut throat especially for a new person walking in. And if your selling cars, know your stuff. Same with waiting tables, gotta get people to trust you.

I say go for it.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
After spending 3 days at a ford dealer last week helping my gf buy a car.... i'd say HELL NO.

Salesmen work shitty shitty hours... and you're basically lying to people all day long. But I guess it depends on your money situation.

SBTerminator

Established Member
My first Sales Job was at one of the Largest Ford stores in the Chicagoland area back in 2000. I was there when the "New" Thunderbird came out. We were selling them for $10, 000 over MSRP. I have made a lot of money since then in this field. Yes the hours are long, but if you want to be successful here are some tips for you:

Always ask for referrals. Always!
Spend MORE time showing them a vehicle and doing a proper demonstration, you will spend less tine negotiating. Have fun, but don't be ignorant.

I am currently a Sales Manager at a Hyundai store in Chicago and have to tell you this business can get nuts at times. Think of yourself as an independent contractor. Make sure all your friends, their family, your family and neighbors know to call you because your"Their Car Guy"

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

MNCobra

Established Member
i would say at least try it...otherwise you may regret not taking the opportunity ...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would think some depends on the dealership. Get connected with a good one and it could be a pleasant experience overall. If the dealership is cut-throat (sales wise), it could be a miserable experience. I know that the dealership I bought my Buick from has a fair turnover. I was just there a couple of days ago and didn't recognize any of the sales staff.

Is this to be just a starter job? Or is this something you're looking to for a career (ie. a sales manager position).

VegasMichael

Established Member
I would give it a try. I sold Jeeps for a short time a long time ago. Like any retail job the hours will be long and odd. I don't know how old you are but it's good sales/life experience. It helps if you currently have a lot of friends/family too. If you get offered the job and you have nothing else going on you may as well give it a shot.

Honaker10

OLD MAN STATUS
Established Member
Go for it. I am good friends with a lot of salesman and they can make KILLER money when they want to. But the main thing is you WILL get bored and you WILL set around a lot waiting for people. But as said worst you can do is try

yuke175

Established Member
This would be simply a starter sales job, unless of course a bigger opportunity arises quickly that would keep me there.

The dealership seems to be high volume and a good company to work for the sales manager I spoke with was relatively young and had been there for about ten years and loved it.

I realize the hours will suck but I need a good starter career

Sales manger mentioned that their best salesmen the last two months is a lady who is new and never sold cars before and she sold 18 cars last month

Any experience with the draw / commission system? Weekly draw is $450

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This would be simply a starter sales job, unless of course a bigger opportunity arises quickly that would keep me there.

The dealership seems to be high volume and a good company to work for the sales manager I spoke with was relatively young and had been there for about ten years and loved it.

I realize the hours will suck but I need a good starter career

Sales manger mentioned that their best salesmen the last two months is a lady who is new and never sold cars before and she sold 18 cars last month

Any experience with the draw / commission system? Weekly draw is $450

It's different everywhere..

At my dealership we do an incentive commission approach. Cars 1-5 you get paid 25% of net, then 6-9 you get 30%, then 10-14 you get 35%, then 15+ you get 40%.

The more you sell the more you make. Our salespeople love it!

UncleDan

Established Member
They are number two in the state and 7th in new england as far as performance goes.

Translation: They push their salesmen the hardest.

If you are energetic, like cars, and can deal with every type of personality that you'll be facing with customers, then sure, give it a shot.

Beware though... A sales atmosphere can be very stressful and is not for everyone. In many cases, it takes trying it on to figure out if it's a job for you or not.

I did the same thing as a Project Manager. I came in the door 8 months ago, I worked the job, and I made my judgement on it. Tomorrow is my last day with the company, and I'm moving on to bigger and better things :thumbsup:

yuke175

Established Member
Definitely a high volume dealer and I think I would enjoy the game of it for a little bit but I am also trying to go somewhere with growth potential

Interviewed at another dealer today ford as well

Dealer 1: high volume, big name chain, around 11 total sales guys and a 450 a week draw with 25% gross commission, $75 mini, very professional environment

Dealer two: lower volume, smaller private dealer, around 7 sales guys, 300 week base draw with 20% commission for cars 1-5 25% and cars 5-10 30%, $100 mini, more laid back environment.

Which would you go with? Also have a job interview at Dunkin Brands corporate office tomorrow.

tistan

Established Member
I sold cars for about sixth months. It was ten years ago, but I would think a good salesmen can still make $70-100k a year. It was a lot of fun and a good experience learning to negotiate deals. You will be able to use that for rest of your life. If you have nothing else going for you then why not get some sales experience?

yuke175

Established Member
I am thinking it would be a great experience as well. I have learned alot selling my HID Retrofit Headlights on here but I want to move up a level.

The sales manager said the bad guys make about 40k, average guys 50-60, and good 70-100K

I have the Dunkin Brands (Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins) Corporate Office Job interview tomorrow so we will see how that goes. So far two for two on interviews and job offers and I keep sending resumes out.

The office job will most likely be lower pay than the sales has the potential to be but will also be sager and more reliable income.

I am confident I could be a great salesmen BUT with the winter months coming up the money could be slow as the market will be down and who knows how bad the economy is going to get with this re-election as the cap is near and people will not be buying anything

Last edited:

fleshmcfilth123

Established Member
Well I am looking for a entry level sales or marketing job. I interviewed at a Ford Dealer in Massachusetts today. They are number two in the state and 7th in new england as far as performance goes.

They operate on a draw / commission pay structure.

Seems like the flow of customers is higher than average and they have around 11 sales reps currently.

What do you think? Is there money to be made? I am a recent college graduate willing to put in the effort but with the knowledge out there on cars today it seems as if they profit margin on commission can be taken away.

Looking for honest opinions... Thanks

It's fun. Shitty hours and everyone's a cheap ass who won't let you make any profit but work the pay plan and you'll do alright.

You'll start to wonder if some people negotiate at the grocery store.

Users who are viewing this thread