• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

Should I make a big deal about this and raise some hell tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by jpro, Apr 30, 2021.

1. jpro

jpro Disoriented Poster Established Member

27AAB789-500E-464A-8086-3762D6700FCD.jpeg Quick background: I bought a GT350 with 700 miles on it 3 weeks ago. The original owner purchased it new in November 2020 so it has been about 6 months and I figured I would go to the local Ford dealer to get its first oil change (car now has a little over 1,000 miles on it).

I drove it home yesterday from the dealership and today when I pulled it out of the garage to wash it there was a small puddle of oil on my epoxy garage floor. It wasn’t large, but it was more than a few drops. After washing it I looked under the car and it seems the oil was coming from a small notch in the plastic panel near the drain plug. I assume that when they pulled the plug the tech was sloppy and got oil in the notch and it sat in there until I got home then dripped out as it sat in my garage. It isn’t coming from the area where the filter or the plastic door to access the filter are located.

I’m annoyed because they should have taken better care to clean up after draining the oil. It’s a freaking 350, not an ‘89 Taurus! I’m thinking of calling the dealer tomorrow, telling them I’m bringing it back and I want them to check to make sure the plug is in correctly (the plug and area immediately around it are clean), check to make sure the filter is torqued to spec, and to clean off any excess oil that may be hanging around due to a sloppy tech. The only question is, should I raise a big stink about this? Also, I plan to tell them that I’m not waiting 90 minutes like I did yesterday. I want them to take it in immediately, get it up on a lift, and I want to watch the clowns look it over. Thoughts on how harsh I should be?

Also, for reference I've included a picture. The arrow points to the notch in the panel where it was oily, right below the drain plug. The plug is further forward than where it was oily so I assume the issue to be a sloppy tech because the oil flows out of the drain hole further than where it was oily.

Also, after pulling it in and out of the garage to wash it I found no oil on driveway or in the garage. I wiped down the plastic as well as I could because it is tough to reach and I don’t have a jack for low profile vehicles.

2. quad

quad Well-Known Member Established Member

That is annoying. My wife took her car for an oil change a few years ago and we discovered nasty puddles of oil on the driveway where she parked the next day when she left for work. I called the dealership and raised hell and they came with a crew to the house and soaked up / brushed off the oil spill. I also took the car back so they could clean the undercarriage.

Ever since I ask them to clean the undercarriage after an oil change.

I would check the oil levels if you are worried about it to make sure it did not leak oil past the filter. I heard a story about a guy who had his oil changed at a dealership and they did not install the filter correctly and it leaked oil all the way back and I believe the engine seized.

merc lover likes this.
  3. _Snake_

_Snake_ Well-Known Member Established Member

The tech changing your oil could give a shit what vehicle it is.

This is one of many reasons why people change their own oil.

Clean up and move on.

4. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

I would not get crazy over this. Yes, the tech should have done a thorough clean-up job after the oil was changed. But you did the clean-up yourself and there is no leak that you can see after you finished. I would call the dealership, ask for the service manager, tell him what happened and what you did to clean it up, and ask him to discuss this with the service rep to ensure it doesn't happen to anyone else. You might also mention that because of this, you're FEELING reluctant to bring your car back. I will bet that the service manager will take this very seriously and sit down with the service rep or meet with all of the service reps to ensure it doesn't happen again or to anyone else's GT350.

By the same, some dealerships have certain service reps especially trained to work on these high end models. I remember when I had my '03 Cobra that my dealership would only allow certain reps to work on it.

5. NateDogg

NateDogg Terminator Established Member

Don't be a Karen....

08mojo, Tunedprt91, apex svt and 23 others like this.
  6. Relaxed Chaos

Relaxed Chaos Faster! Established Member

It's a Ford. The oil can drip/drain onto many surfaces while changing the filter.

It's a Ford dealer, where the lowest paid guy does oil changes.

Main thing is to be sure that filter is on tight.

If this stuff bothers you then it's best to change your own oil.

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

7. Blown 89

Blown 89 Well-Known Member Established Member

Man up and change your own oil Karen.

8. VegasMichael

VegasMichael Well-Known Member Established Member

When I had my GT500 I always changed my own oil and yeah there were spills and drips that I would always have to clean up. Dealerships don't care about your car like we as owners do. If you have the space why not start doing it yourself?

me32 likes this.
  9. ZYBORG

ZYBORG Let's roll.. Established Member

Op, your new handgun came in.... Please shoot yourself.

B752FB87-38FA-4F30-B980-0724A9ECC522.jpeg

10. 7998

7998 Don't Care Established Member Malt Liquor Mafia

The guy changing your oil gets paid the same as the guy making your Big Mac.

11. ford fanatic

ford fanatic Four Eyed Freak Established Member

You should go back and smack the tech with your purse.

12. black4vcobra

black4vcobra Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

A few years ago I took my wife's Accord in for an oil change we had previously purchased when we bought the car new. The next day after she left for work there were a few drops of oil under the car. I told her I needed to look underneath the car that night when she got home.

There was oil around the drain plug and it turned out the drain plug was only finger tight. Tightened it and the oil leak stopped.

I called the service advisor, was polite but firm and they willingly added another free oil change. Loose drain plug is worthy of a call and demanding something. Oil residue underneath the vehicle probably is not.

13. ur bittn

ur bittn By the snake Premium Member Established Member

Tough crowd, but no seriously grow a pair.

Tunedprt91, DAVESVT2000, me32 and 3 others like this.
  14. patc84

patc84 Well-Known Member Established Member

dont be a karen. do it yourself next time.

Tunedprt91, me32, 5.2Leader and 3 others like this.
  15. efurlong

efurlong Active Member Established Member

That's why I've never ever "had" my oil changed by anybody but me since I was 17 years old. Even my brand new 2005 Ford GT...back in 05.

7998, Fat Boss and me32 like this.
  16. GNBRETT

GNBRETT Premium Member Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

Its a Ford tech bro what did u expect lol. They dont give two shits about ur car. change ur own dam oil its simple!

jaxbusa, me32, 5.2Leader and 2 others like this.
  17. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

Guys, some don't change their own oil anymore (me included) because it can be difficult disposing of the old oil.

18. ZYBORG

ZYBORG Let's roll.. Established Member

Lol... I currently have 4 boxes, each loaded up with several quarts of oil a piece. Been meaning to take to a place to dispose. I’m due for a change as we speak.

03Sssnake and *Jay* like this.
  19. FJohnny

FJohnny Well-Known Member Established Member

Rich people shouldn't have to change their own oil.

Next time go in and pre-tip the oil change guy and tell him he'll get the same again after the job if he doesn't leave the puddle he left the last time.

rolive likes this.
  20. *Jay*

*Jay* Tweeker by trade Premium Member Established Member

Not sure about CT but most all part stores Ive come across will take your used oil, coolant is another story. In VA Beach they would take it too but up here in NE Ohio I havent found a place that takes coolant yet. Have to take it to the county when they do a hazmat roundup in the spring and fall.

1o1proof and Blown 89 like this.