short throw shifter question

MongoCobra

Established Member
I put on the MGW handle this weekend and it improves the stock shifter quite a bit. Is the shortness of the throw a function of the handle or the shifter mechanism itself? I'm wondering if I should put in the Pro 5.0 or the Steeda Tri-Ax.

Next question- is there a shift handle that will put the knob further back towards the driver while maintaining a short throw? I have the MGW handle angled back but it the knob is pointing toward me instead of straight up for an easy grab.

thanks everyone

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
You have to get a shorter shift arm (generally part of an aftermarket shifter mechanism). The handle is mainly just a comfort thing.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
I'm going to get over my head here in this but .....

The short throw shifters ..... you will notice... are taller at the tower.

Thus why the PRO 5.0 says things like Tower Shifter.

The added height in the tower moves the effective pivot point....

By moving the pivot point up..... the bottom end of the shifter "rod" below the pivot point becomes longer... and thus.. moves further... in relation to the distance traveled by the "rod" above the pivot point.

Shortening the handle itself only improves an already better situation. But the moving the pivot point (plus the way the shifter is built things are more positive and clean) is the major improvement in distance. The shorter handle is the added icing. If you use your stock handle (which would take some adaptation if you wanted to dump the rubber isolater) you are still much better off than the stock shifter.

Confused? :dw:

MongoCobra

Established Member
Not confused, its all about levers ans stuff.

Does anyone have pics of the 5.0 handle versus the Steeda handle? Looks like the Steeda handle comes back toward the driver, whereas the 5.0 handle is more straight up which would make me reach (I hate that!). I'm thinking of having a machine shop make one for me if I cant find the right one.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Mongo,
Take a look at the MGW handle before you do the machine shop trip. Then, go see what the shop wants to make one for you.... might just be worth it to go MGW.

lifter213

Established Member
The Pro 5.0 handle is straighter and harder to reach the upper gears 1,3,5 etc. The Tri-ax handle is the same length as the 5.0 or damn close to it. I remember when i put the Tri-ax handle on my 5.0 shifter i compared them and they were close if not identical in length. The only difference is the Tri-ax is angled towards the driver.

Here's a comparison i found
shifters

Last edited:

GreyCobra_03

Lurch
Established Member
haven't tried the Pro 5.0 but I love my Tri-Ax, had it in the 02 GT and now in the cobra, it gives out a distinctive whirring,light grinding noise that makes our modern cobras sound like the muscle car that it is under all those comfort features.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Here are Pics of both the Tri-Ax aluminum handle and the srock Pro 5.0. The Pro 5.0 is gold color. The Tri-Ax moves the handle much closer to the driver.

Dana

MongoCobra

Established Member
dana-

thanks for the pics, it helps a lot. looks like the tri-ax would be a longer throw (longer handle) than the pro 5.0

I just spoke to george over at MGW, he is going to try and mock one up for me and send it out. will let you know how it goes

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The stock Pro 5.0 handle brings your fingers(knuckles) way too close to the radio. Granted, the throw is shorter, but I don't think it's worth having to retune the radio each time I hit 3rd. :)
The Tri-ax is very similiar in positioning to the stock handle, but the throws are shorter because of the longer lower section of the lever. See earlier post by ArizonaSnake, he's right on.

Dana

cubes

Established Member
Last edited:

MJ32V

Established Member
MGW adjustable handle is good, but could be improved. Didn't like the way shift nob was pointing back instead of up. Picked up 7"x12mm grade 8 bolt, cut off head, put in vise, heated w/torch to make some bends; one at appx 45 degrees back, the other at about 80 degrees up with a slight tilt toward the driver... about 15 degrees. Before using torch on bolt, I bent up a 7" piece of aluminum tubing and shoved it in end of MGW handle body to get idea of what the bends I'd like to make in the bolt. After grade 8 bolt was shaped/cooled, tested it out w/nob in place. Made a couple of angle tweeks and cut off a bit from the length... am now satisfied with position of handle.

MJ

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by MJ32V-SC
Made a couple of angle tweeks and cut off a bit from the length... am now satisfied with position of handle.

MJ

Thanks MJ... I haven't installed mine but I am considering doing the exact same thing..... custom doing my own.

MongoCobra

Established Member
MJ-
if i wanted to do the same thing, are those the dimensions I would need? where were you able to find the bolt? looks like the Tri- ax handle is about right, but may be too long

MJ32V

Established Member
Picked up bolt from an fastener supply house. Cost $2.60. I asked for the longest bolt in stock. 7" is what they had... it worked out well. Used map gas torch to heat bolt red-hot, then bend. Hope that helps.

MJ

Users who are viewing this thread