Shooting for 900hp.

twcbitten

Established Member
Well, Ive had this car for over 6 years now and this is where we are today. At a later date I will update with a list of mods but for now id just like to focus on my current upgrades. I was making 663rwhp on a 2.3 gen2 whipple. But now its time for more. After a LONG 8 weeks of waiting for my new 4.0L Whipple, its finally here!!! :)

I will also be dropping the IRS out of the car to rebuild the trac lok. The IRS has all been gone through and upgraded at an earlier date. I wont go into details at this time. The trac lok is being rebuilt for when its time to hit the rollers. Then the IRS will be swapped out for a SRA and the IRS will go into my notchback.

The main focus right now will be the blower install and the diff rebuild. All supporting mods have been done long ago.

FullSizeRender%201_zpsemeelogc.jpg

FullSizeRender_zps5oxeaolb.jpg

IMG_1111_zpso0vfwfne.jpg

IMG_2054_zpsaebtcy9k.jpg

IMG_2057_zpsme8qtbeg.jpg

IMG_2058_zps7j0bdu6m.jpg

IMG_2111_zpsmcsayv5w.jpg

IMG_2163_zpsfj87rhgz.jpg

IMG_2165_zpsy4usgism.jpg

Last edited:

mkb116

Established Member
You're aware of all the issues you'll run into running that big blower right? Breaking lower pulleys and possibly the crank snout? I'm all for a big blower and big power, just making sure you're aware of what's coming.

twcbitten

Established Member
You're aware of all the issues you'll run into running that big blower right? Breaking lower pulleys and possibly the crank snout? I'm all for a big blower and big power, just making sure you're aware of what's coming.
I have heard this, but have not seen much to back it up. I'll let you know when it breaks. Buy it, use it, break it, fix it.

twcbitten

Established Member
That's a big sumbitch! How hard are you planning on spinning it?
Its HUGE, gonna be a tight fit. Ill push it as hard as my finances will let me lol, Ill be happy with 850ish but would like to push it into the 900hp range. The car is pretty well set up, so i dont see 900 being out of the question.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
It'll make 900rw, w/o nos. Theres not a ton of cobras posted online running this blower but there are a few and this wouldnt be the first to hit 900's. Time will tell I guess.

It'll make 900 on e85. What I meant is how much boost are you going to run? Is your engine built? Do you have head studs? I helped a friend install a 3.4 crusher and that was a tight fit. You're probably going to have to cut the firewall. Are you going with a cowl hood or anything like that. We had hood clearance issue with a 3.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twcbitten

Established Member
It'll make 900 on e85. What I meant is how much boost are you going to run? Is your engine built? Do you have head studs? I helped a friend install a 3.4 crusher and that was a tight fit. You're probably going to have to cut the firewall. Are you going with a cowl hood or anything like that. We had hood clearance issue with a 3.4.

Ill be running on E98. The car is built, always more to do though. Aluminator block, arp everything. No idea yet on boost, Ill know more when we get it on the rollers. Im hoping i can run the stock hood w/o spacers after cutting the inner support. If it wont fit without spacers, ill run a carbon cowl hood.
Doing the intercooler flow upgrade malcolmv8 did would definitely be worthwhile.
Agree! Definitely needs impovements. My IAT2 sensor started to melt from the 2.3 i was running. :O

Soap

Established Member
Doing the intercooler flow upgrade malcolmv8 did would definitely be worthwhile.

I don't think it's possible. The 4.0 sticks too far forward to run large hoses/barbs into the IC manifold. Anything is possible but the OP is going to have to get very creative.

--Joe

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Ill be running on E98. The car is built, always more to do though. Aluminator block, arp everything. No idea yet on boost, Ill know more when we get it on the rollers. Im hoping i can run the stock hood w/o spacers after cutting the inner support. If it wont fit without spacers, ill run a carbon cowl hood.

Agree! Definitely needs impovements. My IAT2 sensor started to melt from the 2.3 i was running. :O

We lowered the engine 1/2" and notched the hood and it still rubs. I think cowl hoods look sweet, do it!
I'd imagine you'll be north of 28psi to make some serious numbers, if you can keep the belt slip down. Those big blowers like to be spun hard.

twcbitten

Established Member
I did a quick test fit tonight and it looks great. It looks like the oem coolant crossover wont work, ill have to either modify or go to an mmr set up. I have heard of cutting the firewall or wiper cowl, Its a tight squeez but no cutting. Might even be more room once the crossover is taken out.

F94AFFC4-4092-4B5C-BA00-74A6AF41EB21_zpspo0etc79.jpg

1C7A6287-876E-44BE-BA82-535829EAF4B0_zps3dsahxry.jpg

BD011456-2A2B-43B2-B18F-802653C43ACA_zpsvdo8tgie.jpg

60372A20-4992-4C5F-8A1C-14662F696F90_zps39xehnc0.jpg

twcbitten

Established Member
Welp, this thing still isn't done and has gotten outta control once again. Pulled the entire driveline. Engine was stripped down. There was evidence of too much heat. Previous set up was a 2.3l whipple making 23#. Anyway, crank, rods and pistons were magnafluxed. Crank turned, Pistons recoated. Crank double keyed, studded, Billet highflow pump, billet gears, billet guides and new timing components. Heads checked over, all new valves. Cams will be ordered. Lots of other smalls. Also swapped out irs for a custom fabbed 9". Using a t56 magnum from a coyote swap project I had. Not the best cannidate but its new and what i had it, the t56 needed rebuilt and went into the coyote project. I dont have many pics at this time and the ones I have are too large....

Attachments

• 8138.jpeg
    8138.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 359

Users who are viewing this thread