Shocks and Struts

Jester80

Established Member
I'm looking for shocks and Struts and I'm leaning towards the Tokico. The only question that remains is do it get the Blue HPs or the D Spec adjustable. My car is lowered and I just drive it around town and such, no track racing of any kind, don't really do pulls around corners either. When I do lay in to it it's on straight road as I like drag racing. Thanks for any input and info.

Last edited:

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
What springs are you using? What brand struts/shocks currently?

Keep in mind certain struts/shocks worst best with a particular spring. The Tokico HP Blue would NOT be my first choice though.

Jester80

Established Member
No idea, car was lowered when I bought it and the previous owner didn't know either. The front is black strut, looks like kyb non adjustable and the rear is stock Bilstein.

Jester80

Established Member
Thanks man, it was my pleasure. Yea from what I've read they're good, just wanted to see if anyone that had them would chime in. The Konis are $650ish.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I run the D specs. Love them. So much adjustment. Full hard will chatter your teeth and full soft floats like a caddie. I run 1.5- 2 turns from full hard on the street and that is a good compromise, handles great. They offer 7 turns of adjustment.

I ran the blues on my old car and they are worse than the stock struts of the cobra.

Jester80

Established Member
I run the D specs. Love them. So much adjustment. Full hard will chatter your teeth and full soft floats like a caddie. I run 1.5- 2 turns from full hard on the street and that is a good compromise, handles great. They offer 7 turns of adjustment.

I ran the blues on my old car and they are worse than the stock struts of the cobra.

Thanks man. I ordered the D Spec. Figured at the price I paid, can't go wrong. Lol

Gamer2Cars

For the Horse
Established Member
Hopping on the suspension question. These would be for my wife's 03 Cobra. Stock springs but I believe the previous owner cut half a coil. Looking at the Bilstein HDs or Koni Yellows. Price is similar. Or do I go with the above mentioned Tokico D spec? Only other mod to the car is pulley swap. 99% street driven, track maybe 1 or 2 times a year. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jester80

Established Member
I went with the Tokico D Spec as I got them super cheap off eBay with a discount for military veterans. Absolutely love them. No complaints about them, car finally rides smooth and doesn't feel like it's riding on 4 flat tires.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Hopping on the suspension question. These would be for my wife's 03 Cobra. Stock springs but I believe the previous owner cut half a coil. Looking at the Bilstein HDs or Koni Yellows. Price is similar. Or do I go with the above mentioned Tokico D spec? Only other mod to the car is pulley swap. 99% street driven, track maybe 1 or 2 times a year. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm a fan of Bilstein. I've had them on both Cobras and my Expedition as well as my current truck. I was going to swap Bilsteins in place of the Konis on the wife's 06 until we traded it in.

On my 01 I ran 04 springs with half a coil cut off and take off Bilsteins. Rode nice and handled good. It still got decent traction with DR's on the street.

That being said I have no experience with Tokicos.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I wouldn't run the Blue's. Tokico D-Specs or the Illumina's. Maximum Motorsports has a nice chart that matches springs with the proper shocks and struts.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I went with the Tokico D Spec as I got them super cheap off eBay with a discount for military veterans. Absolutely love them. No complaints about them, car finally rides smooth and doesn't feel like it's riding on 4 flat tires.

Mind PM'ing me the info for this seller? I'm active AF and been looking for a good deal on shocks/struts. Thanks. Got a recommendation of a good set of springs to pair with? HR Reds?

Users who are viewing this thread