Shock Replacement Question

bdenham

04 Cobra
Established Member
I have H&R race springs on a 92GT. I just put the springs in this past weekend and realized the shocks are toast and am planning on replacing them. Seems like everone buys Tokico's or Bilsteins. I know the Bilsteins and Tokico's are good performance shock, but do I really need this if I don't intend on heavily modding my car? I can buy a good stock replacement shock for 1/2 the price. My car is not a daily driver, maybe once or twice a week.

no2moro

Established Member
Use the KYB brand. You can either order them from Late Model Restro or you can pick them up at your local Advance Auto Parts store.

bdenham

04 Cobra
Established Member
your the second person I have spoken to that has mentioned the kyb brand. Am definatly going to do some research on that brand. Sounds like the most cost effect shock, compatible with lowered mustangs.

MFE

Established Member
H&R Race? KYBs? In the same sentence? You have GOT to be kidding me. Look, there's more to lowering a car than putting shorter springs on it. Those front springs are 75% stiffer than stock! If all you wanted to do was lower the car and you're too cheap to do it right, WTF did you go putting stiff-ass H&R Race springs on it for? You could have gotten some Pro-Kits and been pretty close to done with it.

KYB's are stock replacement for people who want them to feel sporty, but don't know any better. Too stiff in compression, too loose in rebound, and just not up to much of a task except making stock springs feel stiff. That's with rates close to stock. They won't work for shit with the rates those H&R's have.

If you want it to behave like a car with those springs should, put some Bilsteins or Koni Yellows on it. Tokico D-spec at a bare minimum. Otherwise yank those springs and sell them.

Last edited:

bdenham

04 Cobra
Established Member

well, I ordered the Bilsteins for the rears instead of getting the full set of the kyb brand. Will get the fronts in a few weeks when I have the extra cash. By the way, it's not about being a cheap a**, it's about having other responsibilites that are more important (kids). Kind of a smart a** way to answer that question.

4valvemach

Established Member
I dont think I would ever lower a fox I like the ride they offer stock not much for the feeling of a car with no give in the suspension.

:shrug:

Most I would do is drop the rear with the lower control arms that offer 1" lower and 2" higher.Then some KYB or monroe shocks for it to keep a some what soft ride.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread