Shifters revisited, looking for a shorter throw

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Most people here have gotten the Tri-Ax or the Pro 5.0 simply due to the stock positioning of the handle.

I DO NOT have a problem with finding any gears nor do I have to reach nor do I miss 3rd or 5th gear with the STOCK shifter.

What I do have a problem with are the length of the throws. I want to shorten my throws into the gears. The MGW handle does not shorten throws hardly at all from what I have felt (am I wrong?).

Also, would I be able to use my stock shift knob with the Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0 *IF* it shortens throws?

Mike

TwoValveKid

Uh oh.....
Established Member
i personally have a tri axe on my 99 gt...and i absolutely love it...you can feel where the gears are and are completely confident in it and you can have very short throws...the tower is adjustable...just set it to the lowest setting...and yeah you can use the stock shift knob...from my experience

Juiced-03

Established Member
I bought the UPR trick stick handle only. It was $20 at a local mustang shop that sells UPR products. I have been running this handle for over a year now and I am happy with it. I dont see the need for an aftermarket shifter that costs $170 when all it really needed was a handle IMO. Though I have never driven an 03 with a triax or a pro 5.0 so I guess I am still biased LOL! But just the handle works for me. It is very notchy though, but I like that!

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
The ONLY way to get shorther throws is a shorter handle. The Pro5.0's and all the other shifters modify the throw very little, if at all. Most of the geometry of the shifter is set by the tranny itself. Nearly of the "shortness" of the aftermarket shifters comes from the handle. And if you put it in the long position (like the Tri-ax with different handle mounting options), you've wiped out that advantage.

The MGW handle is longer, not shorter. That's why it's easy to reach.

There is no good answer, except an "extended" shifter, which won't fit with the stock console. Or slide your whole drivetrain back somehow.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
With all of that said....

SOMEONE NEEDS TO MAKE A SHORT THROW SHIFTER FOR THIS CAR!

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
You can't. That's the problem. It's either a short throw, short handle shifter and a long reach -OR- a long throw, long handled shifter that's an easy reach.

The problem is the location of the shifter coming up through the bottom of the car. It needs to be about 8" closer to the driver. There is no way to fix that. Excpet for a shifter that moves the actual shifter back, and uses a tie rod to reach up to the stock location. That works fine in race cars, sort of, but if you have a console, no way.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Originally posted by postban
Whoah, very wrong. Throw is shortened by 1/4" in my very careful measurements comparing stock shaft+shifter to PRO50+MGW handle. All positions measured from center of radio button in all 7 gears (reverse too). The big difference is you can position the "pattern" farther back and closer to you so it feels shorter. The actual distance of the throw is very minimally affected. The shorter the handle (like PRO50 stock stubby one) would make it slightly less knob travel, it's still a long reach cause it is so short. Strangely my WRX has a waaaay shorter, smaller shift pattern. Wish I could duplicate it in the Cobra. All the shifters are gonna be similar given a similar length shaft, the T56 is a big trans, lots of moving to be done to row through all 6 gears.

fd547805.jpg

Sorry for the misquote. Ok the real ? is. If it shortened the total throw (from 1-2 for example) by 1/4 of an inch, what was the total throw distances, before and after.

Example. 3 inches stock , with pro 5.0 2.75. And is it noticeable. I think quicker shifts would make for smoother more responsive driving

Gatorac

Established Member
I welded a peice of steel to the bottom of the stock handle. This moved the whole handle back 1.25" without changing the angle of the stock shift knob. The shifts are no shorter but at least I don't have to lean forward to reach the dang thing.

The MGW handle moves the knob back at the expense of changing the angle. This pretty much requires ditching the stock knob.

Aftermarket shifters shorten the throw by moving the pivot point up. This makes a bigger impact than shortening the handle.

I agree that a shorter throw than what is currently available would be nice. There is a point were shorter throws will start to cause damge. Anyone want to find out what that point is?:dw:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by OH3Cobra
Sorry for the misquote. Ok the real ? is. If it shortened the total throw (from 1-2 for example) by 1/4 of an inch, what was the total throw distances, before and after.

...snip...

Here is a reduced sized version of the pattern. If you go to my PRO50 link in my sig and go to the last image in the album you can get it full scale. I did this drawing at work on PDGS, one of the systems I use. Scale of the full size is exact if you measure from center of shift knob to center of radio button.

Also I was incorrect about 1/4", it is 3/16" as you see on the drawing. :read:

fb4796a9.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread