Shifter

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I had ordered the PRO 50, and while I was waiting for it I put the MGW handle on the stock shifter. Verdict-didn't even open the box, mailed the PRO 50 back.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I would still get the 5.0 shifter, just for the 2-3 shift functionality. However, I have heard a lot of good things about the MGW handle. Also, I hear Pro 5.0 also makes a longer handle, per MM&FF.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I like the MGW handle...only one I've seen that's adjustable in two ways like that, both length and angle.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Am I nutz, or is that ad copy bogus?

It appears to be a titanium version of the Tri-ax handle. It is a nice piece, but it is not a shifter, and I do not see how it provides shorter shift distances. And, just because it is lighter than steel with equal strength, that does not affect shift speed since that is a force vs mass issue, yes, and the force of a human arm is so much greater than the mass part of the equation that it is nonsense what they claim. Do it for looks, do it for feel, but in my opinion, get an MGW since it is adjustable.

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Sounds good, but the fine print
Kona's TITANIUM Shifter Handle will fit any: 79-86, 87-93, 94-98, 1999-2003 5-speed MUSTANG, V-8 GT, COBRA, Bullitt 0R V-6, LX. Fits any T-5, T-45, Tremec 3550, Tremec TKO transmission
doesn't mention the T56 or any 6 speed (I suppose it may not matter). Still... Good luck finding a 2003 5-speed Cobra. :shrug:

Moonlight96GT

Established Member
With a T56, you really do not need to change the entire shifter. The T56 has built in stops according to their website and recommend taking out the stops on aftermarket shifters.

I changed ours to a Pro5.0 HANDLE, not the shifter, and you won't believe the difference. Although the handle is too short and not angled to my preference, it's better then stock because there is no rubber on the handle.

2-3 shift problem is gone and more precise now. That is entirely due to the crappy rubber fittings they put on the stock handle.

And when you think about, a shorter handle WILL decrease the distance your hand has to travel because the handle is shorter....

Hard to explain, but think of a light switch that has a longer then usual piece on it, the tip of that piece is going to travel a longer distance, just like the end of the shifter will with a longer handle. Follow?

Oh well, I tried hehe!

Last edited:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Well, you are right theoretically, but not practically. The handle has to be a certain distance to allow you to shift comfortably, and that seems pretty much the same from handle to handle, esp ones that do not adjust. But the website of the shifter in this thread makes no claim about being shorter, just that it is faster, implyiing that it is somehow faster because it is titanium. My comment was based on two handles of equal length (which it appears this baby is compared to the stock Steeda), and that the subsequent claim of speed is bogus. The shifter itself does not have any of its travel reduced, which I believe the aftermarket shifters due irrespective of handle length.

Moonlight96GT

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
Well, you are right theoretically, but not practically. The handle has to be a certain distance to allow you to shift comfortably, and that seems pretty much the same from handle to handle, esp ones that do not adjust. But the website of the shifter in this thread makes no claim about being shorter, just that it is faster, implyiing that it is somehow faster because it is titanium. My comment was based on two handles of equal length (which it appears this baby is compared to the stock Steeda), and that the subsequent claim of speed is bogus. The shifter itself does not have any of its travel reduced, which I believe the aftermarket shifters due irrespective of handle length.

I'm not talking comfort really, just the fact that a shorter handle will mean a shorter "throw" :)

I understand what you are saying but is that shifter in the picture claiming to be shorter and quicker then the Steeda shifter or just a stock shifter? Because if it's the stock shifter, then i will probably say that it IS shorter, but wouldn't say that it is quicker.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
I added the MGW handle to my Tri ax today..It makes a world of difference.

Matt.The Pro 5.0 handle is not an option with my short arms,,I'd have to put the seat all the way up.:lol:

Jim V.

SonicBlue03

Established Member
I just put on MGW's handle and I really like it. The new placement (closer to me) helps a little. But what really makes a difference to me is the positive feedback I get when I shift. I use to grind in 3rd and 5th occasionally because I thought I had it in gear and would let the clutch out too soon (it doesn't help that the clutch goes to work at about 3 microns off the floor). Now without the excessive bushing material from the stock handle, you can feel it click into gear. My wife can even find reverse without a roadmap.

I think I gained about 13 rwhp too! Not bad for 35 bucks. :)

sn8kbite

Established Member
I had an extra GT shifter handle out of a 1999 which is identical to the 2003 Cobra handle.I installed the pro5.0 shifter then had 2 bushings welded into the bolt holes on the GT handle which reduced the hole size to work with the pro5.0 bolts.
Now the shifter is in almost the exact same position as it was from the factory.

Moonlight96GT

Established Member
Originally posted by Jim Vaccaro
I added the MGW handle to my Tri ax today..It makes a world of difference.

Matt.The Pro 5.0 handle is not an option with my short arms,,I'd have to put the seat all the way up.:lol:

Jim V.

Jim, like I said in my first reply, the Pro50 handle on the stock shifter isn't to my liking(as far as position) but it makes so much difference other then it being too far. We are going to try the MGW on the stock shifter and see how it goes.

I don't think there is a reason to replace the shifter itself, just the handle.

Mowgli

Established Member
I was going to order the Tri-Ax or a Pro5.0, but first I installed the MGW handle (also $35 vs $200+)...

Result: Not ordering an aftermarket shifter now. The stock shifter with the MGW handle is perfrect for me.

Last edited:

Mowgli

Established Member
Originally posted by SonicBlue03
...it doesn't help that the clutch goes to work at about 3 microns off the floor...

It shouldn't do that. Mine engages at mid sweep. You should adjust yours. Takes 10 seconds to do. Its detailed in the manual, but I beleive you just put your foot under the clutch pedal and lift it up until it stops. Something like that.

Had to do it in my 95 GT at about 20,000 miles.

Last edited:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Here's a pic of the MGW handle on the stock shifter in 2nd gear. Note the position in IRT the Emer. brake. When installing I positioned the handle at about 8 o'clock. A world of difference. Sorry about pic quality.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Mowgli: I agree 100% - 8 o'clock did it for me. It looks like you are in the "lower" position of the riser (bottom two holes) - is that right?

P.S. Who dropped the slice of pizza on your floor mat?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread