shifter pops out of gear at high acceleration

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I have noticed sometimes when I accelerate quickly from a stop, by the time I get up to 3rd and push in clutch to shift to 4th the shifter pops out of gear. Any ideas on why it would be doing this?

I only notice it in 3rd gear.

amermuscle

Established Member
I ma not sure of the reason but I had this problem with my 2000 Mustang GT as well. I remember someon talking about third gear being weaker than 1st and 2nd in all mustangs. I am assuming this is probably the cause. I am sure someone else will chime in and give you some more concrete information though. I am guessing this is why people change out the stock shifter to the Pro 5.0 or Tri-ax. Good lcu kwith your replies.

i8u

Established Member
If an aftermarket shifter.... It will do this if the stops aren't adjusted correctly.

TcM-668

Did you put in an aftermarket shifter ? I had that problem with my T-56 on my 00 R, and I had to remove the front shifter stop bolt lock nut, and move it to the outside of the shifter tower. It would not fully engage 1/3/5/r without poping out.

If you have a stock shifter/tranny setup:

It sounds like the synchronizer/4th gear may be chipped/broken on 4th gear or the shifter is not fully engaging 4th gear properly.

I would try working up thru the gears normally til you get to 4th, and then after a bit, romp on it. If it pops out when you romp on it, then it is likely the shifter not fully engaging 4th.

If it pops out when you go to 4th normally, then it is probobly the gears themselves.

In any event, if the car is stock, then it is not normal, an you need to get the dealer to look at it.

Good luck...

silvercoffin

Established Member
ACCORDING TO FULLERTON FORD

ACCORDING TO FULLERTON FORD IN SOMERVILLE,NEW JERSEY

SVT says not to do anything with the clutch or tranny until 5000 miles. They say it will take that long to break in and that any number of unusual things may happen. Fullerton said something about losing 2nd too. They said this just after their head mech told me that he didnt think my clutch was disengaging thus making it difficult at times to get into 1 st and rev. SO they wont even look at my clutch or tranny until 5000 miles....which for me means next summer cause I wont have 5000 miles on the freakin car until then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhhh

I havent varified this info with SVT but Im afriad to call SVT again cause of the answers I was getting from MATT at SVT 1-800-ford-SVT about how its normal that my car pulls to the right or its the road conditions oh yeah and the wider tires etc etc etc.

The saturn rental car i drove the past few days while my volvo was in the shop drove straighter than my 03 cobra! but according to SVT thats normal.

TcM-668

I would suggest taking it back to the dealer then. It sounds like 4th is broken, and it will not get any better.

If it was the shifter, then it would likely do things in common gears(1/3/5/r or 2/4/6).

Sorry to hear that ... I know it sucks, but at least you have a warranty. :shrug:

Good luck.

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I had never heard of breaking it in until 5k miles. I have only shifted it hard like that a few times. Car has 3k miles on it now. I think I'll wait a couple of more thousand miles before I report anything.

silvercoffin

Established Member
TECH LINE

Are you a ford mech? According to 1-800 ford-svt its the svt tech line that would know that and fullerton said the tech line told them not to touch clutch or tranny until 5000. They said this over my clutch/trans which is just a little difficult to get into 1st and rev. My doesnt pop out of gear that may be a more serious problem that hopefully/maybe your dealer will look into pronto

Man its driving me crazy thinking about getting my alignment done next week.

They couldnt blame my subframe connectors for the trouble could they? Nothing would surprise me at this point.

Why does a dealer want the car all day for an alignment that takes 1 1/2 at STS?i guess may its cause they dont know for sure whats causinf the pull...answering my own Q heheh

I hate the idea of leaving my car at the dealer. I thinking about staying home that day and telling them not to drive the car at all unless im in it or only having their head tech drive my car although when he drove it the other day he was right up peoples asses on the highway man i dont want any scratched, dents or chips or excess miles........ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

fakesnake.com

Established Member
You might want to note mileage before you bring it in. Techs love to take those kind of cars for looooooong test drives and race everything in site.

SVTyballz

Established Member
Re: TECH LINE

Originally posted by silvercoffin
Are you a ford mech? According to 1-800 ford-svt its the svt tech line that would know that and fullerton said the tech line told them not to touch clutch or tranny until 5000. They said this over my clutch/trans which is just a little difficult to get into 1st and rev. My doesnt pop out of gear that may be a more serious problem that hopefully/maybe your dealer will look into pronto

Man its driving me crazy thinking about getting my alignment done next week.

They couldnt blame my subframe connectors for the trouble could they? Nothing would surprise me at this point.

Why does a dealer want the car all day for an alignment that takes 1 1/2 at STS?i guess may its cause they dont know for sure whats causinf the pull...answering my own Q heheh

I hate the idea of leaving my car at the dealer. I thinking about staying home that day and telling them not to drive the car at all unless im in it or only having their head tech drive my car although when he drove it the other day he was right up peoples asses on the highway man i dont want any scratched, dents or chips or excess miles........ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

If this helps you feel any better, the pull on my car went away after an alignment. Make sure they call SVT to enter the new 03 specs into their alignment computer. (I don't think they changed much if at all). After it was tracking straight, I installed MM sub-frames and now it doesn't follow the road crown as much. Good luck.

gary

silvercoffin

Established Member
i understand that htey will help but the sub frame connectors have nothing to do with alignment right? ALignment is all done with the wheels right?

Thanks its good to hear from someone who had the pull fixed. I think Ill be ok cause its not a real bad pull and it hasnt always been noticable. It was fine for 2000 miles..

Whats been getting me going is the response I got from Matt at SVT when I called about the problem and the fact that a few people claim that even after alignment and redrilling camber plates the car still pulled.

SVTyballz

Established Member
Originally posted by silvercoffin
i understand that htey will help but the sub frame connectors have nothing to do with alignment right? ALignment is all done with the wheels right?

Thanks its good to hear from someone who had the pull fixed. I think Ill be ok cause its not a real bad pull and it hasnt always been noticable. It was fine for 2000 miles..

Whats been getting me going is the response I got from Matt at SVT when I called about the problem and the fact that a few people claim that even after alignment and redrilling camber plates the car still pulled.

No, subframes don't have anything to do with the alignment. I just happened to have done mine after the right pull was corrected. And after they were on, I noticed that the car doesn't follow the road crown as much. I think the pull problems might be a combination of the alignment, flexing of the body due to the sheer weight of the car, and the width of the tires. If none of those is a factor, then you have a problem with the geometry of the car which is not a good thing. The alignment on my car was definitely the culprit. It was out of spec. Hope the same thing is true with yours.

gary

The Loon

Established Member
I just brough my car in for shifter problems and they are actually getting me a new transmission, pressure plate and clutch,

Read my post in the forum under The Loon...

btw I had less than 1000 miles so don't believe what you here, bring it and get it fixed

The Loon

midtex01gt

Established Member
I was adjusting my clutch cable today, and now it popped out for the first time racing a z06 a couple times. My clutch is very new, and my synchros and shifter forks are all done less than 3k ago. I guess I will check to see if shifter stops are on there, and also adjust the cable back in to allow the clutch to grab a bit harder...

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
anyone have some comments on above? thanks

It sounds like it could be an adjustment issue, make sure the shifter is in there secure as well if you pull yours out (all 4 bolts). You do have a firewall adjuster right?

What are caster camber plates?

They allow you to set your alignment perfectly, they are necessary in many cars that a lowered to set it correctly. The caster and camber is the top bottom and left right adjustment, there is probably an easier way to explain it, search it you'll probably find more info. They also look a lot better too.

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread