Shifter collar removal

03cobra34

Established Member
I am getting my 03 Cobra bought back and I have to put it all back to stock.One of the things I need to do is take out my Pro 50 shifter and putback the stock. When the mod was done I had the shop I bought it from install it. So I dont know how to get the collar around the shifter off. Does anyone know the best and easiest way to do this without breaking the clips?

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
firmly grab it on each side and pull. It should pop right off without any hassle. If i remember, there is 5 clip points. Top, middle each side and one center of bottom. As long as you dont gorilla yank it, it shouldnt break on you.

jrh99

Established Member
Grab the plastic near the cup holder and just pull up and back toward you. I've never broken a clip yet...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It will come off very easily. Just a medium tug is all that is necessary. :)

wjfawb0

Established Member
Reach on the inside of the boot around the shifter to get a better grip and then pull on the plastic. It takes finger nails to easily get it off prying on the outside egdes.

-Jason

03cobra34

Established Member
Originally posted by DPS
Why are you getting it bought back???

I had the "TICK" for some time and they finally said they were going to replace the head. When they pulled the head #7 piston happened to be BDC and they found scoring on the cylinder wall and the piston. they also found the piston in there was to small.They couldn't get pistons or rings sent to them. A month later car still in the shop I went in, said I had enough and I wanted them to buy my car back and I wanted a new one. They actually agreed and I am less than a week away from getting a brand new black 10th ann. Mileage waived and a lower intrest rate all I have to pay is the difference. PRETTY COOL HUH!!!:lol:

2K3BRA

Established Member
Originally posted by 03cobra34
I had the "TICK" for some time and they finally said they were going to replace the head. When they pulled the head #7 piston happened to be BDC and they found scoring on the cylinder wall and the piston. they also found the piston in there was to small.They couldn't get pistons or rings sent to them. A month later car still in the shop I went in, said I had enough and I wanted them to buy my car back and I wanted a new one. They actually agreed and I am less than a week away from getting a brand new black 10th ann. Mileage waived and a lower intrest rate all I have to pay is the difference. PRETTY COOL HUH!!!:lol:

Nice :D

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
I use a mini pry bar under the left lip (with a rag to protect the plastic) to get it started...then I pull by hand. :thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by 03cobra34
Glad it worked out for you. Enjoy your 10 Anniversary model! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread