Shift improvements to the MT-82 6 speed, what has worked for you.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have been tracking threads all over and have been studying the feed back on the different solutions that have been tried.

I would love to get some additional feed back regarding fluid changes that worked and fluid changes that didn't.

Please give a little back ground as well, since driving a grinding trans for an extended period of time and then changing to a different fluid may not have an outstanding outcome if the blocker rings or synchros were hurt a bit before the fluid was eventually tried.

My understanding is that the factory fill is the full synthetic Ford, XT-M5-QS, 75W-90 gear oil.

The March TSB recommends using a slightly lighter Ford fluid.

For example here is a MT-82 owner who has switched to Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 and got good results. I would like to know if that was the only fluid that he has tried or were there others.
He suggests not using the Synchromax but I don't know if he tried it or not, so I am wondering what was the outcome of those who did try the Synchromax or any other fluids.
I understand what you are saying however the TSB advised to use DCT fluid in place of QS.
http://cdn.mustangevolution.com/forum/images/uploads/2011/03/tsb-11-03-18.pdf
The DCT fluid is a 75w-90 gear oil based on my research. Based on my experience using the RP 75w-90 gear oil, my trans shifts better then when new and I run the piss out of my car.
I would not recommend using Synchromax however.

I have followed this thread and have heard about some shift issues being clutch related as well.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...7-attention-mt-82-victoms-9.html#post10747569

If you or your Ford dealer/repair shop has tried something, what was it and how did it work?

stang910

Established Member
I had a new clutch put in under warranty and the fluid TSB done and I have no complaints after these updates. Shifts take a little more effort with the new fluid, but I don't have that grinding feel anymore.

sb03cobra

Established Member
Mine was notchy when cold. As per the TSB changed fluid to the DTC and it shifts great, even cold.

I never had any grinding or other problems with the trans.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Similar to the above for me. Mine crunched and locked me out of gear when cold, and after the TSB fluid change it started shifting fine. Been fine ever since too.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Mcleod RXT
GT500 clutch pedal assembly
!!!--->POWERSHIFT<---!!!

No problems at all.

I love it!

LOL! Jared! You've been murdering those Dolphins down there again haven't you!:rockon::beer:

186621_525974014_7389812_n.jpg

Mika

Established Member
Grinding in the 1-2 and sometimes 2-3. Fluid changed. Much better. Still somewhat notchy when cold, but once warmed up its fine. I can chalk up the notchiness(sp!) to new transmission as I don't even have 1k miles on it.

Mika

ViciousJay

Established Member
Stock Clutch
Stock Fluid
Removed Helper spring

NO ISSUES POWERSHIFTING! Around town is smooth as butter

Entrenched

Established Member
Clutch

Mine was grinding in every gear and had to be man-handled into each gear esp. 1st or reverse. Before pulling the trans I did change to RP Synchromax with Limited Slip additive. When I changed the fluid there was zero metal in the old fluid and my transmission was much easier to shift although getting it in gear from a cold start was a battle. Grinding was still an issue in 5th esp. After pulley the clutch assy we realize that the pressure plate fingers were bent and the TOB was not riding flush on the fingers.

The Fix:

For me: I had the single spring clutch pedal assy, so I converted to a 2010 GT500 pedal assy (this required some minor modification of the brake switch). I installed a JPC clutch line upgrade, new TOB, McLeod RXT clutch, Super Blue Fluid, and a RAM Adjustable clutch cylinder (to fine tune pedal engagement).

Since, I've made quite a few 6800+ shifts at WOT with zero shifting issues. Clutch engagement is smooth with zero chatter, no slip (unless wanted), and pedal feel is much better (it's stiffer but not by a whole lot).

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Ford Dealer. Went from synthetic ATF(fluid full at factory) to the gear oil they have for the TSB.

Mika

My understanding is that the factory fill is the full synthetic Ford, XT-M5-QS, 75W-90 gear oil and not ATF, at least 2011 cars built before the TSB.

Did the service writer at the dealer tell you they took out ATF? Is this a 2011 or a 2012? How does he know what came out? Can you call and verify that?

This is the first case I have heard of that had ATF if that in fact is correct.

They may still be using it if they changed clutches and it corrected the problems.

That is the intent of this thread though, to get as much info as possible on what worked and what didn't.

wbt

Banned
The QDC TSB oil is 75w-90 vs. the QS shipped from the factory. 75w-90 gear oil is the same viscosity as a 10w-40 motor oil.

That said, I am using the following:

RAM dual-disc clutch with alum. flywheel:
Ram 2011 5.0L Mustang Force 9.5 Dual Disc Clutch Kit -300 Series [75-2230] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Barton shifter and bracket:
Barton Shifter with Bracket - 2011-2012 Mustang [2011BM-5] - $349.00 : Evolution Performance, Performance Parts & Accessories - Ford Mustang & Shelby Experts

Royal Purple 75w-90 gear oil.

Working like a champ and couldn't be happier with the performance. Before switching the fluid, I was experiencing some notchy shifting into 2nd and 3rd when cold. The gear oil resolved that and is the best manual trans car I have owned.

Hope that helps. :beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The QDC TSB oil is 75w-90 vs. the QS shipped from the factory. 75w-90 gear oil is the same viscosity as a 10w-40 motor oil.

That said, I am using the following:

RAM dual-disc clutch with alum. flywheel:
Ram 2011 5.0L Mustang Force 9.5 Dual Disc Clutch Kit -300 Series [75-2230] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Barton shifter and bracket:
Barton Shifter with Bracket - 2011-2012 Mustang [2011BM-5] - $349.00 : Evolution Performance, Performance Parts & Accessories - Ford Mustang & Shelby Experts

Royal Purple 75w-90 gear oil.

Working like a champ and couldn't be happier with the performance. Before switching the fluid, I was experiencing some notchy shifting into 2nd and 3rd when cold. The gear oil resolved that and is the best manual trans car I have owned.

Hope that helps. :beer:

Thank you very much! Yes that does help.:rockon::beer:

Since motor oil viscosity rating numbers are different than gear lube viscosity rating numbers, it make for a good deal of confusion to your average car guy enthusiasts trying to figure out lubrication for manual transmissions.

People get spooked when they hear someone tell them a 10w40 motor oil can be used in the same app as a 75W-90 gear lube, yet it very often can in a transmission.

We at Royal Purple have several choices of products available that would all work and most likely, all work well.

I hope after gathering enough feed back that we will be able to narrow it done to which one is the absolute best for this application, we prefer to always try to offer the best solution possible.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The more and more I research this, I don't think there's really anything wrong with the transmission itself. I still think it's the clutch.

A few people might have some issues with the actually transmission. Those are the severe grinding and popping out of gear reports. But those are few and far between.

My transmission is okay. It's not superb by any means, but it doesn't really act up. My bet is a clutch change for me would solve any issues I personally do have.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Yup. The clutch is the problem and the sooner ford admits it and gets a new one, the sooner people will get their cars fixed.

Ha they wont do that, but if they did, expect a 5K launch on street tires from me before going in :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread