EditorTurner

Established Member
00-Shelby-GT350-Exhaust-Install-Featured.jpg

GT350 Growl
Lethal Performance upgrades its Shelby with a Magnaflow cat-back and more
By Steve Turner
Photos by Steve Turner and courtesy of Magnaflow

Born with an dual-mode exhaust from the factory, the Shelby GT350 is already one of the best sounding Mustangs ever built. That’s especially true of the R-model, which doesn’t wear resonators before the mufflers like the standard Shelby does. But it could always sound better, right?

Lethal Performance has already taken its GT350 project over 800 rear-wheel horsepower with the addition of a Whipple 2.9-liter supercharger, but that was with the factory cat-back exhaust in place. To free up some exhaust flow and rev up the car’s auditory personality, the company chose to upgrade the exhaust with Magnaflow’s cat-back system (PN MAG-19283).

“Even before Lethal Performance was created I’ve always been a huge fan of Magnaflow. My first Mustang ever was equipped with one of their systems. Not only did I love the way it sounded, but the fitment and quality of their system was awesome,” Jared explained. “So once we got into modding Mustang after Mustang it was a no-brainer to stick with the Magnaflow brand. Not once have we ever not liked how their systems sounded on our cars or thought about switching it for something else. So when it came to our GT350 it was a simple choice to go Magnaflow once again.”

Not only do the Magnaflow cat-back systems lack resonators, they are built from 3-inch, mandrel-bent, 409 stainless steel pipes. They feature an integral X-pipe crossover and route exhaust out to a pair of Magnaflow’s Shelby-specific Competition mufflers. These quad-tip cans are unique to the Shelby as they are equipped with valves just like the factory mufflers, so they accept the factory electric motors for compatibility with the GT350’s two exhaust modes.

To see how this system goes on we met up with the Lethal GT350 at Power by the Hour in Boynton Beach, Florida. There, Jake Long removed the stock cat-back exhaust and bolted on the Magnaflow. The result was an even more aggressive exhaust tone even with the factory catalytic converters in place. Listen to how the system sounds with the stock cats and Lethal’s cat-delete race pipes in this video…

[video=youtube;0KjhCDI8_WI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KjhCDI8_WI[/video]

For more of what the system sounds like you can check out these clips...

[video=youtube;Vak5jk7zAhU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vak5jk7zAhU[/video]

“The Magnaflow system sounds awesome. Even though we put the stock catted mid-pipes on the car for our initial testing their system still offered a deep throaty sound with no rasp whatsoever,” Jared said. “I also didn't notice any drone on the drive home on the highway. We’re really looking forward to ditching the cats again and eventually hearing the system with an off-road long-tube header setup.”

While the exhaust system was out of the way, it was also a convenient time to install a prototype carbon-fiber driveshaft from The DriveShaft Shop along with a driveshaft safety loop from BMR Suspension.

After this round of upgrades, it’s time for a couple more mods before the Lethal GT350 returns to the local racetracks.

“Next up for our GT350 is a bad-ass long-tube header setup from our friends at Kooks custom headers followed by a new RXT twin-disc clutch from McLeod Racing,” Jared added. “Then it's time to hit the drag strip and road course and see what this beast can do!”

1-Shelby-GT350-Exhaust-Install.jpg

Built from 3-inch stainless steel tubing, Magnaflow’s new cat-back exhaust for the 2015+ Shelby GT350 (PN MAG-19283) features an integral X-pipe crossover and a set of the company’s Competition mufflers specially designed for compatibility with the Shelby’s factory exhaust modes. It is the first system to offer such a feature for the GT350. Lethal Performance opted to install the system with the stainless steel tips seen here, but there is also a version with carbon-fiber tips (PN MAG-19299)!

2-Lethal-GT350-Magnaflow-Install.jpg

Get down to business by disconnecting the battery and safely raising the vehicle on a lift or jackstands. Then disconnect the electrical connectors for the valves in the factory mufflers. Then you can loosen the factory band clamps joining the factory cat pipes to the cat-back.

3-Lethal-GT350-Magnaflow-Install.jpg

With the clamps loose, you are ready to remove the fasteners on the exhaust hangers. Be sure to have someone help you wrestle on the factory exhaust before you free the fasteners completely. Angle the front of the exhaust down and forward as you slide it out of the rear valance.

4-Lethal-GT350-Magnaflow-Install.jpg

With the factory exhaust on the ground you can remove the electric motors that actuate the valves inside the factory mufflers. In closed mode only two of the stock exhaust tips are open, but when the switched manually into open mode or as part of one of the more aggressive driving modes, the valves unleashes flow through all four tips. You will transfer these motors to the Magnaflow system so it will function just like the stock system.

5-Lethal-GT350-Magnaflow-Install.jpg

Here’s a comparison of the stock cat-back and the new Magnaflow system. With its larger diameter, lack of resonators and freer-flowing mufflers the Magnaflow system already looks like a winner. Add in that it retains the dual-mode muffler functionality and it seems a bit lighter and looks like a great upgrade for the GT350 crowd.

6-Lethal-GT350-Magnaflow-Install.jpg

One wrinkle of the Magnaflow install is that the new mufflers feature integral tips, while the stock mufflers outlets are divorced from the valance-mounted tips to allow for cooling during long track sessions. That means removing the stock tips from the valance to make room for the new exhaust.

7-Lethal-GT350-Magnaflow-Install.jpg

Using new hardware, swap the factory electric motors onto the mounting pedestals on the Magnaflow Competition mufflers. Be sure to engage the alignment springs of the stock motors into the keyway slot of the new valve before you bolt them down.

8-Lethal-GT350-Magnaflow-Install.jpg

Before installing the exhaust system it was an opportune time to swap out the factory two-piece driveshaft in favor of a prototype, one-piece carbon fiber ’shaft from The DriveShaft Shop. Jake started by installing this adapter.

9-Lethal-GT350-Magnaflow-Install.jpg

The driveshaft swap is a simple remove and replace operation, and Jake slips the shaft onto the transmission and hand-tightens the fasters before raising up the rear of the shaft and bolting it to the diff adapter.

10-Lethal-GT350-Magnaflow-Install.jpg

Jake wraps up the driveshaft install by torquing the fasteners to 57 lb-ft of torque.

13-Lethal-GT350-Magnaflow-Install.jpg

With the new driveshaft in, Lethal opted to also install one of BMR Suspension’s driveshaft safety loops (PN BMR-DSL017H; $119.95). Jake first secured the hammertone-coated mount to the factory transmission crossmember.

12-Lethal-GT350-Magnaflow-Install.jpg

After orienting the loop with the mounting holes on the mount, Jake bolted up the loop.

13-Lethal-GT350-Magnaflow-Install.jpg

Back to the Magnaflow install, Jake slipped the X-pipe into the factory clamps and snugged the clamps to the factory cat-pipes. You don’t want to final tighten the system until you ensure everything is properly oriented and clearanced.

14-Lethal-GT350-Magnaflow-Install.jpg

Oh, and one more important step before you drive the car with the new D.S.S. carbon fiber driveshaft. You must measure the metal tubing between the carbon shaft and the mount to ensure it is between 3 ¼ and 3 ¾ inches. If it isn’t and you run the car you’ll give up your warranty on the driveshaft. This one clocked in right at 3 ¾.

15-Lethal-GT350-Magnaflow-Install.jpg

Jake then clamped the under axle pipe to the X-pipe and slithered the Competition mufflers into place before loosely clamping the whole system in place.

16-Lethal-GT350-Magnaflow-Install.jpg

After adjusting the system for proper orientation of the exhaust tips in the valance, Jake tightened all the clamps for good. After you drive the car for 50 miles or so, you’ll want to get back under the car and double-check the tightness of the fasteners on all the clamps to ensure the heat cycling hasn’t loosened things up.

17-Lethal-GT350-Magnaflow-Install.jpg

Here’s the finished install and it sounded great even with the factory cats in place. Jake reinstalled those before installing the new cat-back so Team Lethal could document the sound of the Magnaflow system with the stock cats and the Lethal cat-delete race pipes.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
It makes it sound almost the same as a 5.0. Not my personal preference. I'd be looking for an exhaust that accentuates the unique sound more. Thanks for the article though, and I'm sure the build quality is great. This would be a good option for the guys who may not be a big fan of the stock sound.

bpmurr

Established Member
Not only did it ruin the sound of the car it's 409 stainless. I'd expect 304 at this price point.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Why would anyone change the stock wheels? Why would anyone change the stock CAI? I am a fan of the stock exhaust as well (I also like the sound of this Magnaflow system), but believe it or not, not everyone has the same opinion so that's why we have OPTIONS. We all like to individualize our cars, that's why we modify them.

SVT_28

Established Member
Fair enough. You are correct. I would think that this exhaust is less likely to be modded than previous mustangs but again, some people will.

liter of cola

Established Member
Jeez everyones hating on the magnaflow.... I dont know if this is how it would actually sound though, doesnt lethal still have the whipple on thier gt350? The only reason i would be hesitant to do somthing like this is that it drives me crazy when the tips are even the slightest bit crooked, i have to have my tips perfectly centered and straight, i spent countless hours adjusting the quad tip borlas i had on my 14' 5.0, and even then they werent 100% perfect, by the time i had them to where i could live with them i sold the car, lmao.

I'd be interested in an exhaust for the 350 that maintains the tips seperate from the exhaust like the stock exhasut, i'd like a full 3" catback and straight through mufflers, with a 1 mode exhasut. Loud mode. I dont like the flap in the exhasut cuz you cant turn on the car with the flap open, it always closes when you turn off the car. So you have to open it every time you restart the car.

MagnaFlow

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Why would you want to change the exhaust note....

The same reason one would change the exhaust on any car-for performance benefits, and a different sound! Exhaust preference will be different for everyone, and there are some who prefer a sound other than the stock one.

SVT_28

Established Member
It was more of a rhetorical question. I guess that was missed. I understand 100% of people won't like the exhaust note but I would venture to say there will be a smaller percentage of people that would want to change it compared to previous mustangs.

It's funny how my comment is the one people are defensive over compared to "you ruined the sound" and "magnablow"(<-made me giggle).

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I really dig it from a hardware perspective. The system looks to be very well engineered and I think it was wise to maintain the factory exhaust valve. Having worked with both 304/409 stainless tubing I don't see an issue with 409 as long as some of the savings was passed onto the end consumer. The sound is the same either way and both last just as long. I prefer a deeper burble and if this system delivers then it definitely has my attention.

Voodooo413

Established Member
304 and 409 are not the same in quality. 304 is a high grade stainless. The stock system is 409 and turns that ugly ass brown after a short time. 304 has more nickel. I agree. If it is 409 it's priced to much. But I thought magnaflow was always 304. Was it a misprint? I wish you guys didn't play the fking music while inside the car! Why must every exhaust vid include music?!?!?!? I have ARH and off road X pipe on my car, I like the stock muffler sound better myself. But magnaflow looks like quality. I'm also interested in the borla that's due out in 4 weeks according to David.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I didn't say that they were the same quality and am well aware of the material properties and differences of each. That said, I'll repeat what I said earlier...

Having worked with both 304/409 stainless tubing I don't see an issue with 409 as long as some of the savings was passed onto the end consumer.

What matters is bend quality/consistency, and weld quality. All of which looks to be good. That leaves the sound and the price that comes with it. If you don't like the sound you probably see it as ridiculously expensive. If you do like the sound you immediately start rationalizing cost.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Always been a fan of magnaflows cratmanship and quality. In general their mufflers produce a more mellow deep tone. Given the engine properties of the 350, the unique exhaust note, and where the car likes to operate most would have preferred the manga pack approach rather than the quieter side.

Hopefully they release another system with a louder exhaust note to satisfy those of us who really enjoy hearing the voodoo scream.

Rainmaker

2highPSI
Established Member
I think this Magnaflow Catback makes the exhaust sound 100x better. First time I heard a GT350R in person, it sounded like a V6 - and I have been around race cars my entire life

MagnaFlow

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I really dig it from a hardware perspective. The system looks to be very well engineered and I think it was wise to maintain the factory exhaust valve. Having worked with both 304/409 stainless tubing I don't see an issue with 409 as long as some of the savings was passed onto the end consumer. The sound is the same either way and both last just as long. I prefer a deeper burble and if this system delivers then it definitely has my attention.

I think this Magnaflow Catback makes the exhaust sound 100x better. First time I heard a GT350R in person, it sounded like a V6 - and I have been around race cars my entire life

Thanks guys! :beer:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
I'd expect 304 at this price point.

Agree, I thought Magnaflow only did 304.

In other news, the gt350 is a 2 piece drive shaft? really? The last generation GT500 came with a factory 1 piece carbon fiber drive shaft stock, why did Ford not not do this again? A high rpm race car would seem like perfect fit for it.

Jfoster

Established Member
Agree, I thought Magnaflow only did 304.

In other news, the gt350 is a 2 piece drive shaft? really? The last generation GT500 came with a factory 1 piece carbon fiber drive shaft stock, why did Ford not not do this again? A high rpm race car would seem like perfect fit for it.

That's actually the reason cited for not doing it. Some people speculate cost but their engineers state otherwise. The world may never know.

Users who are viewing this thread