Shelby Brake Pads

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I've logged 500-600 miles since changing out the stock stuff

The issue,
Squealing. And it's not consistent. I am pretty certain, it's mainly when they are heated up more so than cold.

Pads were properly coated with anti sequel

1. Went with Rotor Pros rotors which were Zinc Coated. They zinc coated the entire face of the rotor. Wondering if that's a contributor
(used these on my '04 Cobra w/ Hawk pads with no issue)

2. Hawk HPS 5.0 (street pads)
Almost zero dust and Ferro-Carbon material

Courses of Action

* Change out just the front pads, possible that the zinc from rotor contaminated and ruined the brake pad?

* If just changing the front pads doesn't fix the issue, than change out all brake pads and rotors for non zinc coated, plain jane ones?

* Lube caliper pins with silicone? <--was recommended when I did previous brake

~~Pete

Last edited:

barspen

Established Member
Can you isolate the noise to the front or back?

Making sure the rears are set in the 'guide' correctly and greasing pins is a good start. Also, lightly grease the edges of the pads backing that makes contact with the caliper. You can also use some grease on the rubber piston seal.

On the front, I'd replace the brake hardware (Brebmo pin and anti-rattle clips) and make sure everything is lined up. Use a generous amount of brake cleaner to brake loose any soot, dirt, grease, etc.

The HPS 5.0 should be very quiet and I doubt the coated rotors have anything to do with the issue, although I'm not familiar with the brand.

Papaw

Established Member
I had the same problem with one of the rear brakes on my GT500. I changed to high quality pads and the squeal continued. I changed out the rear caliper with an new one. Squeal remained. I had used a light coating of brake grease each time, so I decided to go a little overboard on the grease on every surface I could find that didn't contact the pad material for one final try to quiet it down. That finally worked.

Brakes should be seen, not heard.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
It's upfront.
I liberally greased the backing plates of the pad.
Changing out clips and pin sounds good.
They are very quiet 80% of time,

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
What kind of brake grease did you use? Im running the Hawk HPS and I switched my brake lube to Brembo copper lube. Made a world of difference in noise. Also, are you running shims? I scored a set off a Boss 302 I did a brake job on, might help getting more noise down if you arent.

Users who are viewing this thread