Shelby Boost Level with 3.4 Whipple, JDM Cams, Longtubes

mtdubvee

Established Member
So I have a 2011 Shelby and have a 3.4 whipple crusher, 4" upper pulley, 10% lower. JDM Cams and Kooks longtubes.

My boost gauge crapped out so I had no clue how much boost I was making with this new combo. I know Cams and longtubes rob boost so I went safe with a 4.0 upper.

Well its too safe. Have two boost gauges hooked up and at WOT the car makes 14#'s of boost.

Needless to say Im gonna crank it up. Just wanted anyone out there with this combo to kinda know where they would be boost wise.

genesmob

Established Member
Mine made 18-19psi with 15pct and 3.75. It does 23.5 with the 3"upper. You need lots of fuel if ir going to crank it up on e85. Id1300s are maxxed out unless you up the base fuel pressure. To do this you need triple pumps.

JimIII@jdm

I would recommend a 3.50 upper and should get you 18-20 psi depending on the conditions. The cams and will help keep the boost from spiking at the end of the run so I think that would be fine for the street.

mtdubvee

Established Member
Awesome. Thats exactly what I have is a 3.5 upper. Doing the math, I saw it putting the car around 18. BTW, these JDM cams are the SH*T!!!!!! The sound and performance is incredible.

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
If you call adding nearly 100 HP and making the motor more efficient overkill, then yes they are over kill!

JimIII
lets see the before and after graph wit the only change being cams. More to a graph than a peak number.

genesmob

Established Member
I am not the only one. Most just keep quite.

I like them. Car idles at 750rpm in park and 680 in gear (auto), manners and starting are like stock was super easy for me to tune and runs awesome at the track. If thats not what your looking for then these cams arent for you.

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
I like them. Car idles at 750rpm in park and 680 in gear (auto), manners and starting are like stock was super easy for me to tune and runs awesome at the track. If thats not what your looking for then these cams arent for you.

I never said they had idle/drive ability issues.

Sielmo

Established Member
I gained 69whp with these cams using the same tuner...great cams! I did a write-up about installing these cams in the "How to section"

Sielmo

Established Member
lets see the before and after graph wit the only change being cams. More to a graph than a peak number.
Crappy picture, but before and after dyno with just a cam swap, same tuner.
3abc75e2c935dc686f551a830e59ebed.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

merkyworks

Established Member
Torque numbers look good, seem like you give almost nothing up on the bottom end and yet have a very health increase in torque on the top end.

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
Crappy picture, but before and after dyno with just a cam swap, same tuner.
3abc75e2c935dc686f551a830e59ebed.jpg

Interesting results, I have seen smaller cams lose a good amount of power below 5000. Do you have a boost reference graph and what were the weather conditions on both pulls? Also I am sure the tune was changed. That is a lot of variables including fuel and timing. Regardless looks like a solid power gain.

Sielmo

Established Member
Interesting results, I have seen smaller cams lose a good amount of power below 5000. Do you have a boost reference graph and what were the weather conditions on both pulls? Also I am sure the tune was changed. That is a lot of variables including fuel and timing. Regardless looks like a solid power gain.
The wx conditions were similar; mid 80's, both times the car was driven there and immediately went on the dyno. You'll have to hit up JimIII about the tune. The torque error tables and idle were adjusted but this according to him, that's it.

JimIII@jdm

The wx conditions were similar; mid 80's, both times the car was driven there and immediately went on the dyno. You'll have to hit up JimIII about the tune. The torque error tables and idle were adjusted but this according to him, that's it.

That' s correct fueling and timing remained the same as your previous tune from us. So the gains netted were specifically from the cams. This car is a great example of what most people are running on their cars. On cars making more power the cams add more power exponentially! We have seen higher powered GT500's and Cobra Jet's gain literally 100-120 RWHP from just the JDM Super Stock cam and spring package.

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member

So just to be clear why was it not compared to the 703/669 pull made back when it had stock cams last March?

Same Dyno 13 months later 727/664.

That seems more accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread