Shaq headed to Phoenix pending physical

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
ESPN reported early Wednesday that the Heat has agreed to trade Shaquille O'Neal, the superstar center who arrived at the Miami Heat's doorstep in a diesel truck and then helped drive the team to an NBA championship, to the Phoenix Suns pending O'Neal passing a physical exam in Phoenix on Wednesday.

The Heat is expected to receive forward Shawn Marion and guard Marcus Banks in exchange for O'Neal. ESPN's report followed a Miami Herald report that the Heat had informed O'Neal that a trade to Phoenix was a strong possibility.

http://www.miamiherald.com/457/story/408024.html

IF Shaq can get healthy and back into shape watch out for the Suns.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Well, thats the problem I dont see him ever really getting healthy. He is way past his prime IMO. That said im a die hard Laker fan and couldn't believe they got Gasol for Kwame Brown, lol what a steal :D When the Lakers are healthy, and have some time to gel as a team, I think they are the team to beat.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
This is a horrible trade on so many levels, I can't even begin to describe it. I thought it was a misprint on ESPN last night.

The fact is, every center in this league outside of KAJ goes hits a wall at 35 like a cement truck into the side of Mt. Everest, and Shaq is no different. Great players like Patrick Ewing are 34 and pretty good, and it's as if they've never touched the ball that next year. They can't run, they can't rebound, they can't hit 6 foot jumpers. The price you pay for 15 years of physical toil at 7-0 and 280. Or in Shaq's case, even longer and at much higher weights, being beat on night in and night out.

Miami is 9-37. 9. And. 37. Shaq can't stay healthy, and when he is, he looks more like a plodding, slow, and skill-less 2-foot dunk machine than he ever has. And he is still owed $40 million bucks! Someone explain to me how he runs the floor with Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire? Unless Phoenix wins the title, which they won't, this will be one of the most bizarre and senseless trades ever, should it go through.

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
What a weird trade. That trade is not going to help either team advance any further to a championship title. I can see maybe where Miami is trying to go with this trade. There offense currently goes through Dwayne Wade and Shaq so I think Miami is looking for some more shooters on the team to get the offense moving a little more without relying on two key players. Phoenix has Amare Stoudemire as a big man currently which in my opinion is a pretty good player in the post. The addition of Shaq could possibly help but at the same time they are losing some key offensive shooters from there team. So like I said I don't see this being a legitimate trade.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
That will be (if it happens) one of the worst trades ever. Shaq sucks now and won't stay healthy long enough. Oh I'm sure he'll fit right into their run and gun style of game.

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
^ Yeah I do not know how Shaq is going to keep up with their "Run & Gun" offense. Nash is a fast pace point guard and is up the court the minute he gets the ball.

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
That will be (if it happens) one of the worst trades ever. Shaq sucks now and won't stay healthy long enough. Oh I'm sure he'll fit right into their run and gun style of game.

Which is why I want it to happen, get Marion and Banks for a guy past his prime.

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
^ Which is a good idea and if you notice some of the teams that aren't good now that have young players just give them some time to grow and they will be great teams eventually. Franchises are looking for young teams to grow.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
I think you guys are digging too deep into this. Just because they run the floor a lot doesn't mean shaq won't succeed. He is being brought there to play defense, not to run the floor and score. He knows he's old and that's the role he's going to have to play. Phoenix has enough talent to score in the open floor, even when outnumbered, and if it gets to half court, then shaq can do what he does best.

This will also allow Amare Stoudemire to move to the PF position and he can be a lot more active in the offense, rather than just standing in the middle.

Shawn Marion wanted a $20 million contract extention over the next two years, but they can lock up shaq for the same amount of time for the same amount of money, though you'll have to add a year to his contract. They also gave up a guy who never plays. Even if it doesn't work out, they didn't lose anything over it. Marion wanted out and would leave after this season anyways, being that he's a free agent, so why not get something for him while you can?

Phoenix can't win a championship with scores like 121-118 every night. This is a good addition for them. I think it's a great trade to get something for a player whom they would lose to free agency at the end of the season anyways.

Coiled03

Established Member
If it happens, that's gotta make the top 10 most retarded trades in NBA history.

I think you guys are digging too deep into this. Just because they run the floor a lot doesn't mean shaq won't succeed. He is being brought there to play defense, not to run the floor and score.

Kinda hard to play defense when you're always on the opposite end of the floor from the ball.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
He is being brought there to play defense, not to run the floor and score.

That's great....except that Shaq can't guard anyone anymore. He's averaging almost 7 fouls per 48 minutes. He's perpetually in foul trouble, he's ridiculously slow, and he can't get his feet off the ground anymore, laterally or vertically.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
That's great....except that Shaq can't guard anyone anymore. He's averaging almost 7 fouls per 48 minutes. He's perpetually in foul trouble, he's ridiculously slow, and he can't get his feet off the ground anymore, laterally or vertically.

Like I said, this trade will not hurt Phoenix. Shawn Marion made it obvious that he wants out of Phoenix. His contract is up at the end of the year. There is no way he will resign with them. So, either way, come the season's end, he's gone. So, what are your options? Keep him for the rest of the year, probably not win a championship, then let him walk? Or get rid of him and at least get something in return before he leaves? They aren't losing any salary cap space, because the cost of Marion's required 2 year extension is the same as it would be to sign Shaq for 2 years.

You guys are not thinking about this. All you wanna say is "Shaq sucks, he's slow, blah blah blah." Either way Marion was gonna leave. Phoenix was actually very smart to get something for him before he walked.

The Cavs are hopefully going to do the same thing at the end of the season with Gilbert Arenas. Rumors kept saying that we were going to go after him during the offseason last year, but his contract is up at the end of this year and incidentally he got injured, making his trade value nothing. So, after this season, he's a free agent and Cleveland picks him up without giving away any players.

Remember guys, the NBA is a BUSINESS. You have to be smart about the decisions you make cuz in the end, it's all about money and value. Letting an all-star walk out of town and getting nothing for it doesn't seem like good value to me. I dunno, maybe I'm crazy.

Last edited:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Or get rid of him and at least get something in return before he leaves? They aren't losing any salary cap space, because the cost of Marion's required 2 year extension is the same as it would be to sign Shaq for 2 years.

You guys are not thinking about this.

Remember guys, the NBA is a BUSINESS. You have to be smart about the decisions you make cuz in the end, it's all about money and value. Letting an all-star walk out of town and getting nothing for it doesn't seem like good value to me. I dunno, maybe I'm crazy.

YOU aren't thinking about this. Phoenix is on the books for one more season (player option) for $17 million with Marion. If he leaves they owe him nothing. Banks is on the books for 3 more years at a total of $13 million. They are taking back Shaq, who is on the books for 2 more years at $20 million a piece. I'll leave that math to you, with the note that bigger numbers mean more money.

If you're telling me the best Phoenix could get for an all-star forward capable of 20 and 10 every night without having a play run for him in his physical prime is a 36 year old center averaging 14 and 8 with a bum hip that is currently injured who has played in 73, 59, and 40 games respectively in the last three seasons (pattern much?), you are crazy.

Think about what you're saying, all about money and value. Then realize they are getting a guy being paid more, who does less, that will most likely be absolutely worthless in 2010 when you owe his 38 year old body 20 million dollars. The fact that the NBA is a business is precisely what makes this a terrible, terrible deal for Phoenix.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
ESPN said:
Shaq trade wouldn't add up for Suns

The Phoenix Suns have the best record in the Western Conference, a game and a half ahead of their closest rival. They have the best scoring margin in the conference, and the best offensive efficiency in the NBA. They're 8-2 in their past 10 games (while outscoring opponents by nine points per game). And the Suns have a slew of home games coming up because their early schedule was so road-heavy.

In other words, after 48 games they're in as good a position as they've ever been in to win their first conference title since Sir Charles and KJ did it 15 years ago.

And their solution? Blow it up!

The Suns are reportedly in negotiations to trade Shawn Marion -- a man everyone agrees is a vital cog in their attack because of his ability to run opponents into submission from the power forward spot -- for Shaquille O'Neal. (The Suns would include Marcus Banks.)

Good call. Clearly this Nash-Marion-Stoudamire nucleus isn't working out; they've won only 62 and 61 games the two years they were together. This year they were on pace for a meager 58, so I guess they thought it had run its course.

My first reaction to hearing reports about this deal was that I was being Punk'd. After that, I checked the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1, and verified that the voice on the other end of the phone didn't belong to Orson Welles.

But there was no Ashton Kutcher, no Orson Welles, and the calendar says it's February.

Believe it or not, this is a real, live trade discussion that might actually happen. I'm not sure I've adequately conveyed my shock at this development, but suffice it to say nobody I've talked to finds it even remotely sensible.

Shaq may be the one player who is least capable of thriving in the Suns' system. Run the break? No, thank you. Set a high screen and dive to the cup? Maybe 10 years ago. Space the floor for 3s? Please.

He's 35 and out of shape; at the moment he's also hurt. Even when healthy, he's had difficulty staying out of foul trouble long enough to make an impact. While I'll grant that Shaq can still be an offensive force -- even with his struggles this year his PER is a very solid 18.17 -- he's toasted regularly on defense. And if you thought Marion complained about not getting shots, you ain't heard nothing yet.

Even if you subscribe to the idea that Marion had to go -- there have been mutterings about his attitude for quite a while -- you can't seriously tell me this was the best deal on the table.

While matching his $17 million contract is difficult, the fact that there's only a year and a half left on it means there are partners out there. Just thinking out loud, for instance, you'd think New Jersey would have taken Marion in a heartbeat for Vince Carter or Richard Jefferson, and the Andrei Kirilenko deal that was so heavily discussed before the season also would seem preferable.

Marion, by the way, hadn't let his dissatisfaction and his own offseason trade demand affect his play. His 20.25 PER nearly matches last year's 20.87, and he's made up for a reduction in shots by cutting his turnovers and increasing his assists.

But despite his performance they're trading him for an older, less effective player, and one who could not be more of a square peg in a round hole in their system.

And get this -- the deal will worsen their cap situation, too. Shaq is on the books for two years after this one at $20 million a pop, whereas Marion only has one year left at less money, and may opt out after this season. So in addition to messing up their own team, the Suns will be basically handing Pat Riley a big fat Get Out of Jail Free card.

In short, this deal feels like one of these movie scenes where the lead character has a plan and says, "It's crazy ... but it just might work!"

I'm not sure about the working part, but it's definitely crazy. I'm praying this trade doesn't really happen, because the Suns have been too entertaining for too long to screw up their title chances like this.

John Hollinger writes for ESPN Insider. To e-mail him, click here.
Don't miss a minute of the action. Sign up now

Agreed.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
YOU aren't thinking about this. Phoenix is on the books for one more season (player option) for $17 million with Marion. If he leaves they owe him nothing. Banks is on the books for 3 more years at a total of $13 million. They are taking back Shaq, who is on the books for 2 more years at $20 million a piece. I'll leave that math to you, with the note that bigger numbers mean more money.

If you're telling me the best Phoenix could get for an all-star forward capable of 20 and 10 every night without having a play run for him in his physical prime is a 36 year old center averaging 14 and 8 with a bum hip that is currently injured who has played in 73, 59, and 40 games respectively in the last three seasons (pattern much?), you are crazy.

Think about what you're saying, all about money and value. Then realize they are getting a guy being paid more, who does less, that will most likely be absolutely worthless in 2010 when you owe his 38 year old body 20 million dollars. The fact that the NBA is a business is precisely what makes this a terrible, terrible deal for Phoenix.

True, they will owe him nothing, but what are they going to get in return for allowing him to leave? You'll clear up some cap space, but what Phoenix needs right now is a legitimate center, and I can guarantee you there aren't many available.

And, actually, YOU aren't thinking. Marion said in order for him to sign a contract extension, he wants $40 million over 2 years. Hmm....sounds pretty damn familiar to what Shaq is getting paid. They will also clear up a lot of cap space by getting rid of Banks, which, if you knew your shit, would know that the trade deadline is all about clearing cap space for the off-season, when more players are available and most of the big deals are done.

There's a reason this deal was done in 2 days. It works out perfectly for both parties. There's no negotiating, money issues etc. You're trading one $40 million contract for another, Phoenix is just going to have to add a year to Shaq's contract, making a total of 3 years, but Phoenix clears up some cap space in the mean time from a player who had no impact on the team.

If you're going to argue, at least watch some SportsCenter before you do.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Ugh, we're back to basic math. Getting rid of $30 million in salary and taking back $40 million is not clearing cap space. I don't know how this can possibly be misunderstood. Phoenix owes Marion $17,180,000. They owe Banks $4,176,000, $4,464,000, $4,752,000. They will now owe Shaq $20,000,000 and $20,000,000. Is this that hard? Next year they'd have an identical obligation, and in the season after that, they'd owe $15,536,000 more than they would have otherwise. Big savings!

To quote ESPN again for you (since you get your info there):
And get this -- the deal will worsen their cap situation, too. Shaq is on the books for two years after this one at $20 million a pop, whereas Marion only has one year left at less money, and may opt out after this season. So in addition to messing up their own team, the Suns will be basically handing Pat Riley a big fat Get Out of Jail Free card.

Again, Shaq was not remotely close to the best deal on the table. If they weren't going to give Marion what he wanted, who cares? If he leaves he can't get $20 million from anybody else so he'd need the Suns to pull a sign and trade anyhow, in which case they'd get the ultimate say on what they get in return if he wants that kind of money.

Meanwhile, I'll go watch some sportscenter, you go back to third grade math. And please, don't ever aspire to be an NBA GM.

Users who are viewing this thread