Shaker Pro Audio remorse?

Kowalski

Say one purchases a base model (any engine size) and with it gets the basic audio system. Can that basic system be upgraded to the Ford's Shaker Pro Audio system? Does FoMoCo or its dealerships that Shaker Pro Audio upgrade after the vehicle has been purchased?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It would be such a hassle/expense that you would be much better off buying aftermarket components. The Shaker system is good, but you can build a system that could put it to shame with just a little effort.

alexgg2

Established Member
It would be such a hassle/expense that you would be much better off buying aftermarket components. The Shaker system is good, but you can build a system that could put it to shame with just a little effort.

Agreed. I purchased mine with the shaker audio system and honestly I am very disappointed in the sound. Bass is too quite and the speakers distort at high volume. I am going to end up installing another sub. Not sure how the non shaker systems sounds as I never heard one but to me it was a waste of money. The navigation was a nice feature though with the backup camera.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Agreed. I purchased mine with the shaker audio system and honestly I am very disappointed in the sound. Bass is too quite and the speakers distort at high volume. I am going to end up installing another sub. Not sure how the non shaker systems sounds as I never heard one but to me it was a waste of money. The navigation was a nice feature though with the backup camera.

I have the same sentiments, but I'm not going to mess with it. The base sound system in our 2012 never bothered me, so I don't think a base system in a 15 would be any worse. I've never been one to spend much on a stereo.

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member
I have the same sentiments, but I'm not going to mess with it. The base sound system in our 2012 never bothered me, so I don't think a base system in a 15 would be any worse. I've never been one to spend much on a stereo.

After having had the base system in my 12 GT, I was never happy with it. So when I got my 13 GT, I made sure to get a Premium so I'd at least have the Shaker. I wasn't disappointed. When I decided to take a look at a 15 GT, I specifically asked to see a base model because Ford stated they improved on all levels of their audio systems.

It was better than my 12 GT, but the bass still wasn't there. That means I'd have to spend the extra $$ again for a Premium, but along with the 1" loss in headroom I decided to just keep what I have.

Last edited:

Speed Junky

Established Member
My limited experience with stereos has taught me to go full aftermarket or stay stock. The sound isn't nearly as rich replacing specific components because they aren't calibrated together.

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member
Sounds reasonable. I keep everything 100% bone stock, so getting a Premium with the Shaker was the only way to go ...

Zemedici

Established Member
After having had the base system in my 12 GT, I was never happy with it. So when I got my 13 GT, I made sure to get a Premium so I'd at least have the Shaker. I wasn't disappointed. When I decided to take a look at a 15 GT, I specifically asked to see a base model because Ford stated they improved on all levels of their audio systems.

It was better than my 12 GT, but the bass still wasn't there. That means I'd have to spend the extra $$ again for a Premium, but along with the 1" loss in headroom I decided to just keep what I have.

or you could add a subwoofer/amp combo for <200 and some $60 component speakers and be done with it

Chameleon76

Formerly Bad_302
Established Member

+1

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I got the Shaker Pro. It is OK. I am sure you could build a better system for much less. Ford charges a good deal of cash for the Shaker Pro. My 2012 was a base GT, and it really was subpar in many ways. I had to buy a Premium this time.

Mike

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member
or you could add a subwoofer/amp combo for <200 and some $60 component speakers and be done with it

That is very true.

But for the last 10 years or so, I've been into either 100% totally stock cars or cars that had 100% factory warrantied aftermarket parts.

alexgg2

Established Member
I got the Shaker Pro. It is OK. I am sure you could build a better system for much less. Ford charges a good deal of cash for the Shaker Pro. My 2012 was a base GT, and it really was subpar in many ways. I had to buy a Premium this time.

Mike

I have the same shaker pro audio system with the 8" sub in trunk. But keep in mind its not just the the audio system upgrade.

The 401A Equipment Group includes these features, plus standard features.
Shaker™ Pro Audio System with twelve speakers
HD Radio™
Memory driver seat and mirrors
BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member
I'd like to hear a Pro system, because the amount of base I'm getting w/o a trunk sub is really very good ...

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have the same shaker pro audio system with the 8" sub in trunk. But keep in mind its not just the the audio system upgrade.

The 401A Equipment Group includes these features, plus standard features.
Shaker™ Pro Audio System with twelve speakers
HD Radio™
Memory driver seat and mirrors
BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert

That's what I have. I just wish I could have gotten it without the BLIS system.

alexgg2

Established Member
That's what I have. I just wish I could have gotten it without the BLIS system.

BLIS comes in really handy. I didn't think I wanted it either but now I am really starting to like it. I have 5% tint all the way around and it really helps when backing out of my driveway especially when I have my truck parked on street as do my other neighbors. Don't know how but it can sense cars coming even if my truck is blocking the view and starts beeping to warn me. Also like the BLIS when switching lanes at night as it warns me of cars in my blind spot.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
BLIS comes in really handy. I didn't think I wanted it either but now I am really starting to like it. I have 5% tint all the way around and it really helps when backing out of my driveway especially when I have my truck parked on street as do my other neighbors. Don't know how but it can sense cars coming even if my truck is blocking the view and starts beeping to warn me. Also like the BLIS when switching lanes at night as it warns me of cars in my blind spot.

I just really miss spotter mirrors. I wish we got those in addition to BLIS.

Users who are viewing this thread